Status: Weekly updates

Akatsuki Princess

Making Progress

I sat on the ground with my eyes shut tight in concentration. “Whatcha doin’? A voice interrupted my thoughts. I opened my eyes to find Shikamaru crouching about two inches in front of my face. I threw myself backwards, startled at the closeness.
I composed myself. “I’m trying to find my chakra. I’ve been looking for about ten minutes but I’m really confused cause I don’t really know what it looks like or anything.”
Shikamaru stared at me for a few moments before he burst out laughing. “You don’t see chakra, you troublesome girl. You feel it.” He rolled his eyes at me. “Come on, try it. Feel the energy.”
I narrowed my eyes. “I always have energy. I used to be constantly bouncing off walls, but I’ve learned to control it.”
“Not that kind of energy,” the boy explained. “Chakra feels different. You don’t just feel hyper, you feel…strong, I guess. Concentrate on how you feel inside this time.”
I closed my eyes again. Once I concentrated on feeling the energy, I felt a strong current flowing through my veins. My eyes shot open. “I think I found it!” I yelled in excitement. The four boys surrounded me.
“Alright! Improvement already!” Kiba smiled encouragingly.
“Hardly,” grumbled Sasuke. “She found her chakra. She should’ve done that when she was six.”
“Still,” Naruto interjected, “for not knowing what chakra was, it’s pretty good. Right, Shikamaru?”
“I suppose.” The pineapple haired boy shrugged his shoulders indifferently. “Let’s start on doppelgangers. Naruto, you’re working on them, too.”
“I hate doppelgangers!” Naruto whined. Shikamaru glared at him, causing the blond to sulk for a moment.
“Naru-kun,” I began sweetly. “Maybe you could help me with them a little? I don’t know what I’m doing at all, and you explained chakra to me quite nicely. What do you say? Teach a poor girl the basics?” I stared at him with puppy eyes and he perked up.
“Of course, Kamiko-san. Well, basically, you umm,” he looked at Sasuke for help. Sasuke just smirked in his direction. “Put your hands like this!” He formed my hands into the same hand-sign I had seen Sasuke make. “And then, concentrate as hard as you can on making another you. You gotta see it in your mind.”
I did as Naruto said, screwing up my eyes. I felt my tongue poke through the corner of my mouth. After a few moments, I looked to my side. A blob that very roughly resembled me was there. It looked as though I had melted.
Kiba saw my disgruntled look. “Don’t be disappointed, Kamiko. That was really good.” I scoffed. “No, really. For your first try, that was amazing.”
“Sasuke’s really looked like him.” I said quietly.
“Yeah, well, I’ve been making doppelgangers since I was eight, so you really can’t compare. And anyway, Naruto’s aren’t much better.”
I looked over at the blond. “Really?”
He sighed and made the hand-sign. Next to him appeared a very sickly looking Naruto. It looked like it had collapsed from fever and exhaustion.
The sight of Naruto’s doppelganger brightened my mood. I felt a little better about not having a perfect double. “I guess I’ll keep trying, then.” The guys smiled at me, and went off to work on other things, much more advanced.
By the end of three hours, I had finally gotten my doppelganger to look like me. It wasn’t as lifelike as Sasuke’s, and it couldn’t do anything except stand next to me and smile, but it was my mirror image.
I looked over at Naruto’s attempts. He still had the sickly looking creature, and wasn’t doing much better. Red in the face he yelled at his creation. He saw me looking at him and his eyes widened. All of a sudden he made a hand-sign I hadn’t seen. His doppelganger disappeared and Naruto turned into an extremely handsome older guy of about 17.
The new Naruto, walked over to me, and I blushed a deep crimson. I looked down at my feet when he reached me, only to feel a hand picking up my chin. I gasped sharply as I felt the pointer finger of his other hand slide up my arm, slowly making its way towards my chest.
“Naruto!” I heard Sasuke’s voice somewhere in the distance. “You dobe. Cut it out!” Naruto smirked at me and changed back into his normal form.
He smiled at Sasuke mischievously. “I call that one the ninja charisma!”
Sasuke ignored his excitement and hit him upside the head. “I don’t care, baka. Don’t use it on Kamiko. And anyway, you’re supposed to be mastering the art of doppelgangers.”
Naruto glared at him and shuffled over towards the woods to sulk again. I smiled at Sasuke, who stared at me expectantly. “Do you wanna see my doppelganger?” I asked. He nodded. I made my copy, and he looked surprised. The surprise wiped off his face almost immediately, however, and he walked away after giving a nod of approval. I decided to call it quits for the day. I lay down on the grass and closed my eyes to relax.