Status: A new story. Tell me what you think!!

The Girl With the Hidden Scars

I'm not in Kansas any more.

Darkness surrounded me. It covered every surface like a blanket. It was a never ending view of darkness. But it was comfortable. It was peaceful. It was home. And just like any other place that feels like home, you would fight to keep it there. And that is exactly what I was doing. I was fighting to keep this security blanket tightly wrapped around me. I wanted it to stay close. But there was something tugging at my comfortable spot among the darkness.

With each tug, it felt as if my body was being zapped with electricity. And with each of those electric zaps, the darkness seemed to fade. Light seeped in, filling the spaces where the darkness once was. The light is blinding. With each passing second, the light just fills every inch. Its like having a warm blanket, that is wrapped around you, torn away leaving you in the cold. I feel the chills run through my body. And it aches. Several places feel ripped apart, like a huge boulder was thrown on my chest. And as much as I want to push the boulder off my chest, I cant get my hands to move. Its as if they are tied down to my sides. I wanna scream, but it doesn't leave my mouth. There is no sound from me at all. No whining, no trace of hard breathing. Nothing.

But with each second that passes, the boulder is slowly lifted. But the light never fades like I want it too. Strangely, I slowly find peace in it. There is a warm feeling. A feeling of security. And with that security, I feel myself at peace once more. There is no pain in my body. The aching I felt earlier has subsided. The weight of the boulder has completely disappeared but with in all of that, there is something that doesn't feel right. Why am I alone?

Lexi Can you hear me? There is something about that voice! I cant place my finger on it, but I know it sounds familiar. But in its familiarity, it sounds so distant. Its as if they are calling from several yards away. You need to wake up. Its muffled on top of the distance. I want to respond that I can barely hear them, but there is no words coming from my mouth. Before I can even try again, the darkness surrounds me all in one second, and with a grin on my face I welcome it once again.

*_*_*_*_*_*


"Lexi." A groan passes my lips and I turn over in my bed. "Lexi! Get up!"

"A few more minutes." I say to the unknown voice. "I need sleep."

"What you need is a swift kick to the ass if you don't get it out of bed!"

That got my attention. Opening my eyes, I found that I wasn't in the comfort of my own bed. I was on the floor. With nothing under me or covering me. No comfort. I wasn't even home. This place... I have never seen it before. The were no walls. There were no windows. There wasn't a single piece of furniture to be found. All there was, as far as I could see, was white. Nothing else. Even my clothes lacked color. White shirt, white sweats and white socks. There was nothing more. Not even writing.

My appearance on the other hand, I could feel it was a huge mess. My ebony hair that rested mid back was in tangles. The natural curls that spiraled in every direction looked like I had a poodle on my head that hadn't had a hair cut in years. And my fair skin, it was lighter, pale. It looked as if I hadn't been out in the sun at all since I was born. And now that I thought about it, my voice had sounded off as well. There was a slight ring to it. It could have been from the complete empty space that surrounded us. I felt different.

The voice on the other hand, belonged to a woman, and she looked in perfect condition. She even had a glow about her. Her ebony hair was pulled back into a tight, neatly done bun. She did have a few pieces loose in front. Those peaces curled perfectly around her face. She wore oval glasses at the edge of her nose as she watched me. She wore a white button up shirt that was tucked into her white pencil skirt. She had nylons on that blended well with her skin. And on her feet, white three inch heels. She reminded me of someone I had once knew, though, I couldn't place my finger on it. And the more I looked over at her, the more I had no clue who she was or why she was even here.

"Good to see you are finally up." She said with a slight smile on her face. "You were in and out for a while."

"Finally up?" I raised my eyebrow confused. "You woke me up."

She laughed. "Not even the slightest bit. You were up, you were just to lazy to actually get up."

"Says who?" I asked glaring at her a slight bit.

"Says me." She said crossing her arms.

"You don't know me."

She grinned slightly as she began to turn in her heels. "I know you more than you think. When you're ready, come and join me in the other room. "

"Are you crazy?" I asked looking around. "There is no other ro-"

By the time my eyes reached back to where she was supposed to be, she was gone. In her place, there was a door. Of course it was white, but the fact that it was now there, blew my mind. I don't know what it was about this place, but it scared me. And in the pit of my stomach, something was telling me that I shouldn't be here at all. As much as I was scared to be there, there was something pulling me to get up and go through that door. I had to know where I was and why I was here. Maybe I could find a way out of here. I was longing for home. Hell, I wanted to be anywhere else but here.

With a sigh passing my lips, I pushed myself off the ground and got up. Taking slowly steps towards the door, I tried listening for anything that might be behind it. But no sounds came. There was nothing but the ringing in my ears. And compared to the silence I heard earlier, the ringing was louder. And I wanted it to stop. I had even tried covering my ears at one point. But it didn't help.

Placing my hand on the door knob, I turned it slowly. And with each second that passed with my hand on the knob, the ringing got louder. It was loud enough to make me feel like I couldn't hear myself think. I couldn't take it any longer. Turning the knob fully and pulling the door open towards me, I was shocked to see what lay behind it. A brighter light poured through the room as I stepped through it.

More white. It was everywhere just like before. But instead of it being completely empty, there was furniture. A desk in the middle of the room with its rolling chair tucked into it. Closer to me, there was a long couch that seemed so comfortable to sit on. I desperately wanted to sit on it. With a grin on my face, I ran towards it and laid on it. The way I sunk into it was heaven. It felt like the memory foam beds that I always wanted. It was so comfortable, I wanted to stay there forever.

"Now that your comfortable. How about you tell me the last thing you remember." Quickly sitting up, I found the woman from earlier sitting on the desk. She looked like a teacher that was about ready to dive into a subject she loved. But there was something inside me that felt like this was science and I was the test subject.

"Who are you?" I asked.

"My name is Vanessa." She said nodding. "Now that you know my name and I know yours, tell me, what was the last thing you remember before you woke up here." I blinked a few times as I stared at her. Why was she asking that? What was so important of knowing that?

"Why?" I asked relaxing back into the couch. "Its not like its gonna get us out of here."

"Just try and think."

Sighing, I actually tried to think. But as much as I tried to remember, nothing was coming to mind. But within seconds, it came to me. " I was running." I said nodding.

"What were you running to, or from?"

I looked down at my hands. It was a natural thing to do when I was thinking. "I don't know. I just remember running. Like I was running to get somewhere. All I know is that I had to get somewhere. If I didn't get there, it would be to late."

"To late for what?" She asked as she slipped off the desk and walked over to the couch. She took a seat on the floor next to me. There was concern on her face.

"That's the thing. I don't know. I was running and then the next thing I knew, I saw darkness and it felt comfortable. I wanted to stay in that darkness because it was.... peaceful. And after that, there was voices and sounds. I couldn't figure out what it was." I was completely confused. I desperately wished I could remember what was going on, or where I was. "Then I woke up here. I'm definitely not in Kansas anymore."