The Fallout

One of One

“Ni, come on. You’ve got to help me practice.”

Niall groaned and stayed on the sofa, “Louis we practiced this morning, do we really need to do it again?”

“Yes, Niall babe, you know how important this game is.” Louis said pouting.

Niall sighed and he just couldn’t say no to Louis, not when he’s pouting and calling him babe. So Niall peels himself off of couch which earns a grin from Niall and yeah this might be worth it.

“Well go get your kit on.” Louis says standing there with his hands on his hips.

Niall rolls his eyes, “Yessir.”

As Niall passes Louis slaps his ass which of course makes Niall squeal and jump like it does every time. Niall didn’t bother changing all he did was slip on his vans and grab his phone and walk about to Louis.

“Alright well let’s do this.”

Louis grabbed the football by the doorway and exited the flat, Niall right behind him. They walked out of their complex and towards the open grass at the back where they usually practice. Louis was fantastic as always and Niall did pretty well as always and after three hours of being outside, it even getting dark they finally called it quits. They were both sweaty and in desperate need of a shower not to mention the fact that Niall felt like he was going to die. Niall isn’t unfit by any means but he’s definitely not as fit as Louis so when they play for a few hours Niall is usually way more tired than Louis. He can hardly walk up the stairs to get to his flat but the thought of a cold beer before bed kept him going.

“You need a shower mate, you smell.” Niall told Louis when they finally entered their flat.

Louis laughed and pushed Niall, “So do you babe.”

Niall rolled his eyes, “Whatever, call dibs on the shower.” Niall yelled running off to the bathroom. Louis easily caught up and snuck in the bathroom before Niall could close the door all the way. “Showering together?” Niall asked with a small smile.

Louis shrugged, “Why not?”

Niall shrugged as well, “Good enough.”

Niall turned from Louis and turned on the shower putting it just at the right temperature before starting to take off his sweaty clothes just as Louis was doing. Niall was just about to slip off his sweatpants and boxers when Louis stopped him, putting his hand over Niall’s. Louis leaned forward and gave him a very sweet and intimate kiss that made Niall blush.

“What was that for?”

“For practicing with me.”

Niall smiled and reached out to fix Louis’ stray hair, “Come on Lou, you know I’ll do anything for ya.”

“I know babe, I just really appreciate it.”

Niall giggled and kissed Louis, “I would really appreciate a massage after our shower.” Louis laughed against Niall’s lips. “I think I deserve it after today.”

“Oh you’ll deserve it after this shower.”

(+++)

“You won! You won!” Niall chanted hugging Louis. “I knew you were going to but you won!! Holy shit babe! You looked fantastic out there!!! The scouts are going to love you! Fuck I love you! I’m so proud! God damn boy you looked good.” Niall rambled.

“Thank you!” Louis repeated over and over and over again in Niall’s ear. “I couldn’t have done this without you baby, thank you so much. You think they liked me?” Louis asked when they finally broke apart.

“Babe! Of course they did! You were incredible. Just absolutely amazing.”

Louis smiled, a smile that no matter how cliché it is, lights up Niall’s whole world. It’s the kind of smile Niall lives for, the smile that Niall wants to see all day every day. It’s the smile that makes Niall fall in love all over again. Louis’ smile started blurring and soon Louis’ lips were on his and there was no way Niall was going to deny him of a celebratory kiss. Like all of their celebratory kisses it became heated very quickly and it wasn’t long until Louis’ hands were up Niall’s shirt and one of Louis’ teammates were yelling at them to break it up. Louis flipped them off like he always did and kissed Niall a little bit more before finally pulling away from him, blinding smile and sparkling eyes.

“Tomlinson.”

Louis looked away from Niall and looked at his coach who just waved him over.

“I’m sorry baby.” Louis apologized.

Niall smiled and shook his head, “No need to apologize. How about I head back to the flat and order some pizzas? That sound good?”

Louis nodded, “Yeah of course, I’ll be there soon.”

“Take your time.” Niall told him giving him another kiss. “I love you.”

“I love you too babe.”

As Niall walked away Louis slapped his ass yet again and this time when Niall turned around he simply winked.

(+++)

“Wait…you…you actually got in?” Niall asked starring at the paper then up at Louis.

“Don’t sound so surprised.” Louis says laughing.

“No,” Niall shook his head his brows furrowing, “I’m not surprised its just, shocking I guess?”

“I know!” Louis yelled his smile wide and glowing. “A full ride Ni!”

“I know, babe,” Niall tried to smile. “That’s, it’s great Louis really. I’m very proud of you.” Niall said putting the paper down. “Want some tea? I’ll go make you some.”

Niall got up from the couch and walked to the kitchen, wiping away at his eyes and trying not to make it obvious he’s crying. He leant against the stove and covered his hand with his mouth then shutting his eyes tightly when he felt Louis wrap his arms around him. They didn’t say anything Louis simply rested his head between Niall’s shoulders and let his boyfriend cry.

(+++)

Louis was having an absolute horrid time; LA is always hot, it’s too sunny, people are so rude and stuck up, no one knows how to make a good cuppa, his classes are hard, girls are all over him, and he’s exhausted all the time. He never caught on his sleep from the jet lag since training started the day after he arrived and his classes started just a week after training. Louis schedule is wake up rush breakfast morning work out class run class run class class afternoon practice night work out dinner practice classwork classwork classwork sleep repeat. It’s nonstop and go go go and Louis is crumbling under the pressure and he is seriously doubting his decision to go to this school.

It doesn’t help that Louis has been keeping tabs on Niall through their mutual friend Harry and Harry says Niall is fine. Niall is hanging out with more people, he’s immersing himself in the music scene and he’s just having a great time going to bars after school with his new mates and it’s killing Louis. It’s killing Louis to know that Niall is fine, he’s having fun and laughing and just being himself while Louis is in another country and slaving away, giving his life away to an unforgiving sport. And it’s not fucking fair. It’s not fucking fair that he just couldn’t deny his dream, it’s not fair he had to pick between Niall and football and he had to choose football. It’s not fucking fair he had to give up the love of his life. It’s not fair, it’s not fair that Niall is fine. Because Niall is off having the time of his life in university with his mates and what is Louis to do? He knows Niall is fine but what is he to do?

(+++)

It was finally the first game of the season and Louis is ready for this, it took some time but he finally got into the demanding university lifestyle. He’s still sad and he still can’t sleep and he still doesn’t know what to do without Niall but at least he has football. It’s been the only thing to distract him from the pain of losing Niall, of having to pick his dream over Niall. He didn’t know what kind of reaction he would have when running onto the pitch with the other players since he’s the new out of town guy but the crowd response was phenomenal and it immediately brought his focus to the game.

UCLA was losing in the first half, not by much but enough for all of the players to be frustrated and for the coach to be yelling at everyone. After a quick rundown from the coach Louis stood off to the side and stretched his body, scanning the crowds just because. His eyes traveled up and down the stands until they spotted a seemingly tall blonde haired blue eyed boy clad in an UCLA sweater and sweatpants with a sign that reads ‘go Louis’. Louis’ mouth dropped and he couldn’t tell if he wanted to cry, run away or run to him. He watched in awe as the boy smiled brightly and mouthed ‘I love you’. Louis smiled back, the smile that makes Niall fall in love every time, and mouthed the three words back.

Sooner than Louis wanted the ref was calling the players back to the pitch and it was time to start the next half. Knowing that Niall is in the stands gave Louis the confidence to really perform to the best of his abilities. Obviously Niall was his good luck charm because Louis started playing beautifully and was either scoring or giving his teams an opportunity to score left and right. By the end of the game the crowd was chanting Louis’ number and Louis loved it, he was loving the success of it all. UCLA won by twenty points and his whole team crowded around Louis and chanted his number along with the crowd. Once Louis was free from his teammate’s group hug he looked to the stand and immediately spotted Niall who looked as proud as ever and honestly Louis fell right back in love that instant. He made his way towards the stands but one of his teammates called him back and told him they had to go straight to the locker room.

Louis desperately looked back at Niall who seemed to understand that duty calls and smiled at him, as if telling Louis that everything would be alright. Louis didn’t know how though because what if this was all a dream? What if he leaves the locker room and Niall wasn’t actually there? What if…what if Niall just leaves? He doesn’t know what he would do if Niall didn’t wait for him, he needs him; he needs this second chance. He had to endure a long speech form the coach about the game and how the rest of the season should go and then he tried to pay attention andlook excited to be given the winning ball and he was, it was an honor to get the winning ball in their first game back. But frankly the ball wasn’t Niall and that’s all he wanted. So once they were dismissed Louis didn’t even bother changing or showering, he simply grabbed his stuff and the football and ran out of the locker room.

He ran back onto the pitch and looked around trying to find Niall but he didn’t see him and no, this wasn’t happening. Louis looked again and again and again but there was still no sign of him so Louis walked around the stadium ignoring peoples calls for him to wait up or yelling ‘thank you’ when someone congratulated him. After searching around the whole stadium Louis still didn’t see Niall and as much as he didn’t want to give up, he didn’t know what else to do. Louis tried not to cry as he started the walk back to his dorm but it was so damn hard because he could have sworn Niall was there. He saw him he knows he did but if Niall really was there he would have waited; he would have waiting at-. Louis stopped walking for a moment and nearly yelled in the parking lot. Of course Niall wouldn’t be at the stadium he would be at his dorm because Niall hardly ever waited after the game and fuck if Louis doesn’t get to his dorm soon he’s going to lose it.

He uses the last of his energy and runs to his dorm, almost knocking several people down and finally, finally he gets there and-. And Niall is real, he’s there and he looks like he’s been crying and he’s exhausted but he looks so damn proud and so in love and Louis can’t believe this, he can’t believe Niall right there. But then Niall is crashing into lips and teeth clashing and knees knocking into each other, hips hitting and backs hitting the wall and its so much, so fucking much but not enough. Louis pushes Niall away from him long enough to get his keys out of his bag and when he looks up Niall is staring at him impatiently and Louis is thankful for the first time since moving that he has the dorm to himself.

(+++)

“You’re really here.” Louis whispers into the hallow between Niall’s neck and collar bone.

“I’m really here.” Niall says back, lovingly as he runs his hair through Louis’ hair.

“How long are you staying?” Louis didn’t want to ask but he needed to know when he was going to have to say goodbye again.

“Forever.”

“Don’t play, Niall. It’s not funny. Please. I know you’re fine but what do I do?”

“Baby boy,” Niall whispers making Louis look up to him. “I wasn’t fine, I was never fine. I know that’s what Harry was saying but it wasn’t like that. I was miserable. I was only hanging out with people and going to bars and actually going to class to distract myself. I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t live without you. I could hardly sleep I could hardly eat which is saying something. I couldn’t do anything, Louis. I was lost and I wasn’t fine. I haven’t been fine since right now, since last night.” Niall spoke kissing Louis’ forehead. “I couldn’t stand living there knowing you’re here without me to practice with you, without me here to help you and to take care of you and to love you. I dropped out and I came here.”

“You didn’t. Niall you were so close to finishing. You shouldn’t give up school for me.” And Louis knows how horrible that sounds because technically Louis gave up Niall for football and it isn’t fair. “I’m so sorry Niall, I shouldn’t have left. I shouldn’t have chosen the game over you. I’m so sorry, it’s not worth it Ni. I can’t do this without you.”

“And you won’t have to because I’m not going anywhere. There was nothing for me back in England, you weren’t there. And I swear to god Louis don’t you ever feel bad for chasing after your dream. You want this and I want this for you. This is what you do when you’re in love; you help the other reach their dreams. I want to be here, I want to you to be here. I want you to be the best damn footballer in the world! If I’m not eating your cereal by the time we’re thirty well I don’t know what I’ll do.”

“Probably just eat other cereal.” Louis said giggling.

Niall laughed and nodded, “That’s probably true. But honestly Louis I’m not mad at you for leaving, I’d never be mad at you for going after something you love not when I did the same thing.” Louis glanced up at Niall obviously not understanding what he meant. “I went after you, silly.”

Louis smiled causing Niall to fall back in love and kissed Niall with everything he had.

“Thank you, thank you for supporting me. Thank you for being here, thank you for giving up everything for me.”

“Just make it worth it.” Niall teased.

Louis laughed and pressed his hips into Niall’s, “Oh I’ll definitely make it worth it.”