Status: Few shot...3-4 maybe...

Who Knew?

One

Jogging through Hearst wasn’t exactly my idea of a fun getaway. However, my family was visiting my grandparents and since it was the offseason, I was talked into going too. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my grandparents, but I just wasn’t feeling the small town thing right now.

I was twenty-four, in my prime and ready to mingle either back Philadelphia or Ottawa. Being in Hearst for a week was slightly cramping my style...and my diet because my grandmother was a fantastic cook.

I jogged through the blue collar town that was the picture of Canada; it was a town of pure bread lumberjacks and factory workers. How I managed to get out of this place was beyond me, but I was grateful because I wasn’t made to do either.

I crossed the street to a diner, one that I was sure the owner still knew my name and could tell you about the night I was born.

“Claude!” I heard as soon as I opened the door, “Good to see you.”

I waved and went to sit at the counter. “How ya been?” he walked over to me and shook my hand.

“Good Carl, you?”

“Great,” he smiled.

I grabbed a menu but he snatched it away, “I got this, and,” he winked, “I’ll send over Maddie to keep ya company.”

He walked away with a wink and I had to chuckle; everyone from here always wanted me to end up with a girl from here. It wasn’t that the girls in Hearst weren’t good looking, a fair share of them were, but most weren’t my type. I liked the girl who could be a small town kinda woman, but who could throw on a tight dress and some makeup and I could show her off in the city from time to time.

I shook off his suggestion, already thinking he was half crazy. I scanned the menu, just for
something to do because I’d left my phone at the house. “Here ya go,” I very soft, almost shy voice
sat a glass of water and a glass of orange juice in front of me.

I looked up and saw bright pink nails, one with gold, wavy lines on it; a clear sign that she was into
fashion. Most girls here didn’t follow the trends, maybe the more casual ones, but not the flashy
ones.

My gaze traveled up her arms to find a couple bracelets. The waitresses here didn’t wear uniforms,
they only wore jeans and a tank top or t-shirt. This girl wore a white and light green see through
tank top with the same wavy line design as her nails. Of course she had a tank top underneath the
shirt, hiding her bra from the conservative crowd that surrounded us. Very respectable and cute. At
her neck was a thin gold chain with some charm at the base. Moving up from her neck were
perfectly pink lips on a tanned face. they smiled at me, a very cute, shy smile.

“I’m Claude,” I extended my hand.

“Maddie,” the tan turned a little pinker and her honey colored eyes flashed over me, “What brings
you to Hearst, Claude?”

“Visiting family,” I answered, “I grew up here. I don’t remember you, are you from around here?”

She shook her head, “No, I’m from Toronto. My grandfather lives here though.”

“Do you live with him?” I asked.

“For now. I moved out here when he got sick.”

“Oh,” I felt bad for asking, “Is…is he…”

“Maddie, table ten,” Carl smiled at her and then at me.

“Excuse me,” she walked away.

I watched her walk away until Carl snapped in my face, “Cute, isn’t she?”

I turned my head to look at her again and watched as she flipped her dark brown hair over one
shoulder, “Doesn’t’ seem like the small town girl type.”

“She’s not,” he answered, “But she’s adjusted. Only been here about two months and half the town
knows her and all of the boys seem to love her.”

I nodded, wondering if she was as innocent as she looked.

“Let me know if you need anything else,” Maddie said as she set the plate in front of me.

“Care to join me?” I took a muffin from the display next to me and handed it to her.

She giggled but took it from my hand, “Sure.”

She leaned forward as she picked at the blueberry muffin in her hand, “So Toronto? You adjusting
okay?”

She shrugged, “Not many people around here my age, not many places to go,” she looked over at
the table she had just waited on, “Plenty of single lumberjacks though.”

I laughed and nodded, “Typical Canadian town.”

“It is,” she sighed, “It’s nice though, a break from all the craziness of the city.”

I shook my head, “Ever been to the States?”

She nodded, “Went to school in New York.”

“For what?” I liked a smart girl.

She looked at her muffin and mumbled something, “Huh?” I asked.

“Fashion merchandising.”

“You are a long way from that here,” I shook my head, “Toronto is even a far cry from that.”

She pouted, “I know.”

“Order’s ready,” the cook called.

Maddie sat the muffin on the counter, “Duty calls.”

The place got busy and I only saw her for a few seconds when she told me my meal was on the
house and brought me another glass of orange juice. I tried to wait around for her to have a free
minute, but the diner just kept filling up with people.
♠ ♠ ♠
K, so this is for the NHL Engagements and Weddings contest! It's all from Claude's POV-for future reference.

Hope ya'll like it :)