Status: And done!

The Wayfarer Way Station

Relieving Some Stress

Things changed between Aron and Nokomis. He growled, ignored her, and got angry at her less, while she talked to him more freely. Instead of only having conversations when they were alone or either of them had their guards done, they passed the time talking quietly to each other. The Fey among them also found it easier to talk to Aron, but they tended only to when Nokomis was close by. Sage approved of how his Omega was finally coming out of himself and interacting with others without snapping at them.
One night about two days walk from Qaanaaq, the party was waiting out a snow storm in a cave. Nokomis sat down next to Aron with her meal. She didn't take a bite as she thought and stirred the stew they were having that night. Aron put his plate down and sighed, "What?"
"Hmmm?" Nokomis hummed.
"You want to ask me something. What?"
"What happened to your first pack?" The others listened in but tried to continue what they were doing so it looked like they weren't.
Aron brought one knee up and loosely hugged it. "Humans hunted and killed everyone. I was the only to live. The snow was the color of an apple."
The cave went silent. The only things making noise were the fire snapping, the wind howling, and the surprised breaths of everyone else. Nokomis looked at Aron with surprise and let out a breath. "I am," Aron waited for the last word that would complete the sentence he hated most. "So glad I was not there. People suck."
Aron looked at her a moment and then barked out a laugh, utterly surprised by the woman next to him. "What?"
She grinned even though she knew he couldn't see. "Let me back track a moment. Some people suck. Others are quite agreeable."
"I don't understand you sometimes." He was still chuckling. "They are your kind."
"Does not mean I cannot dislike some of them. Do you like every Fey you come across?"
"Definitely not. You sound like they have personally hurt you."
"Indeed they have. I may be one of them but I was an orphan, something that is at times looked down at."
"I'm an orphan."
"When?" Nokomis's voice dropped to a gentler tone.
"When the hunters..." Aron broke off and looked away.
Nokomis placed a hand on his. "Our circumstances are different. You were loved by your parents and they were forcefully taken from you. Mine left me in the woods to die."
"Why?" Absentmindedly his thumb started stroking the top of her hand.
"Only my biological mother and father know. I was only a baby then and my parents found me crying with one one around. They waited for someone to come, but no one did."
"Humans are confusing."
"I know." Nokomis slid her eyes to look at the other members of the party. "Enjoy our heart to heart?" A lot of the Fey froze while a few of them started laughing at being caught.
"You know it." Chezza grinned. "And Aron, you have a beautiful laugh. You should do it more." Aron scowled causing Chezza to laugh again. "And there is the scowl I've come to know and love."
"Screw you Chezza." Aron snapped in her direction.
"Sorry darling, but you aren't my type." She purred. "And I don't think I'm yours." She looked directly at Nokomis who blushed and looked away. She smiled knowingly, turned, and walked towards the mouth of the cave to observe the storm.
"Oh how I missed the bickerin'." Sage commented wryly before looking down at Aron. "I don't want to sound overbearin', but remember when this is all over you have to be more respectful when talking to others. Especially Fey who out rank you."
"You mean everyone." Aron sighed.
"One day you may just climb the ranks to us normal Fey." Sage teased.
"I don't believe you count as normal, Alpha Sage."
Sage laughed, "You know what I mean."
"Do I outrank Aron?" Nokomis asked. The question randomly popping into her head.
"Sorry, but you do not." Sage looked at her apologetically.
"Perhaps the only person who is below me." Aron grinned at her.
Nokomis pushed Aron's shoulder, "Do not go getting ideas of bossing me around."
"Would never think of it." Aron teased. Sage smiled at the pair showing emotions other than quiet smiles and bursts of anger. He quietly left them, heading over to where Chezza still stood watching the storm.
"How's the weather?" He asked standing beside her.
"Still crazy and cold." She sighed.
"Not a fan?"
She glared, "You very well know I am a warm weather kind of feline. I dislike cold."
"I'll keep you warm." He whispered in her ear as he wrapped his arms around her.
"You know this will never work?" She leaned into him and nuzzled his throat.
"And why's that?"
"Because you are a dog and I a cat."
"I don't know, those two seem to be pullin' it off." Sage jerked his head behind him. "Aron's a wolf and Nokomis is human. Besides I think we've proven quite a few times that it can."
Chezza chuckled, "And how would we unite a wolf pack and a leap?"
"We could figure somethin' out."
"I suppose we do have time." Chezza looked back out into the storm. "How did Aron ever live in this weather?"
"He's an arctic wolf, he was made for this weather."
"Lucky bastard."
"You say that now, but Australia was killin' him."
"Mmm Australia, we should visit again."
"Maybe when we get done with this task."
"Party pooper."
"Only for important stuff."
"I'm not important?" She pouted up at him.
Sage kissed her nose, "You madam, are very important."
"You two get a room!" Dakota yelled in disgust.
Sage and Chezza grinned at each other and then Chezza turned to the Water Wizard. "Jealous?" She drawled.
"No!"
"Sounds it to me. Maybe, you should cool off."
"Huh?" Dakota asked confused right before he was smacked in the head with something cold. "Shit!" Snow dripped down his face. The cave broke out into laughter as Sage grinned, tossing another snow ball up in the air.
"Couldn't resist. I thought you were a Water Wizard Dakota, I'm kind of disappointed." Sage teased.
"Wanna see a Water Wizard?" Dakota growled. "Try this." He balled up the little amount that was still snow from his face and hummed it at the shifter. It smacked the Alpha right in the stomach.
"Ooof." Sage held his stomach. "That's cheating." He grinned.
"Water Wizard." Dakota smirked. Within seconds a snowball fight broke out in the cave. Dakota charmed the snowballs so they didn't melt too fast in the warmer part of the cave and it was mostly every person for themselves.
"Are you using me as a meat shield?" Aron asked as he felt Nokomis's hands in the middle of his back.
"Perhaps." He heard the smile in her voice.
"Shouldn't you be shielding me?"
"Why? I am human."
"And I'm blind."
"You are focusing on your hearing, therefore you are probably doing far better than any of us."
"How do you know?"
"Your head is slightly tilted sideways to hear. Duck." She pulled him down as a snowball smashed on the wall behind them.
"Thank you and as observant as ever."
"I try. 10 o'clock." Aron threw a snowball and heard Rhyme squeak.
"Aron and Nokomis are partnering up. That's cheating!" Rhyme shouted in good fun.
"I'm blind, it's not like I can see where everyone is." Aron defended.
"Then she can't throw."
"Want to bet?" Nokomis asked as she threw a ball of snow and hit him in chest. She jumped on Aron's back with a grin.
"She showed you!" Chezza cackled. The fight continued until everyone was worn out and cold. The party stripped off the clothes that were wet and changed into driers ones; laying the old clothes out to dry by the fire.
After all the chores were completed, the party laid down for bed. Hoping by the morning the storm would be over and they could continue their journey once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was fun, I hoped you liked it