Status: And done!

The Wayfarer Way Station

The Wayfarer

The return trip home was more quiet, subdued. Corbin was distraught over the loss of his best friend, Sage and the pack were mourning the loss of their pack mates, Chezza and the Leap were mourning their losses, and Nokomis was recovering from almost freezing to death, having Time going through her for over ten years, and the death of the Fey she come to see as friends. Aron quietly mourned the loss of his pack mates even though some of them were pain in the ass to him, and was also glad that Nokomis was okay after everything she'd been through. Even Orthrus somberly walked beside Nokomis as they journeyed to the closest Fey town to get a portal home. Only Dakota seemed to be in an okay mood, not exactly happy but definitely not mourning like everyone else.
When they finally walked up to The Wayfarer, it was dark and just about closing time. They tiredly pushed the thick doors open. "We are clo-" Amaris started as she turned and froze, seeing who her guests were. She dropped her rag with wide eyes, "Nokomis?" Nokomis squeezed Aron's hand before dashing forward and hugging her mother. She buried her face into the woman's neck, hanging on tightly.
"I thought I would not see you." Nokomis muttered quietly into her mother.
"I never doubted, my child." Amaris stroked Nokomis's hair until she settled down enough to straighten up. "Let me get everyone some tea." She smiled gently at her daughter before detaching from her and started towards the back.
"Put some whiskey or vodka in mine please, lots of whiskey or vodka." Chezza called as she plopped down in a chair. Amaris raised a brow at the woman before disappearing. "She's not going to, is she?"
"No. She never mixes alcohol with tea." Nokomis replied as she took Aron's hand and together they went to sit.
"I see ya'll made it back safe and fixed whatever was happening." Hades arrived, almost setting the table on fire. Orthrus trotted over, tail wagging and tongues lulled out. "Hey Orth, I missed you too." He gave a ghost smile as Orthrus licked his hand. "Cerberus has been going mad without you, eating one too many souls if you ask me." He chuckled. "Now, what happened?"
The group looked at each other, no one willing to really speak up. Well, except for Dakota, "Fucking, someone-"
"Dakota, no swearing in my establishment." Amaris glared as she brought out tea for anyone. "Master Hades, would you like a cup?"
"Yes please." He smiled. "But I can't stay long," He sighed, "Hel already bitc- yelled at me for taking too long last time. She needs a life."
"Take her out sometime, I bet she would like that."
"We are the rulers of the Underworld, when do we have time to go anywhere?"
"I am sure Charon can look over things if you bring her out somewhere."
"Like a date?!" Hades' fiery hair burst everywhere as his voice cracked.
"Why not? When was the last time either of you went on one?"
"I don't know about her, but mine was before I became Hades."
"Then take her out. Make her feel like a woman every once in a while."
"There are other ways he could do that." Dakota muttered receiving a glare from Amaris.
Hades smacked Dakota upside the head before getting back to business. "I will think on it, but right now," He turned back tot he table everyone crowded around. "What happened?"
"It turns out, someone stole Pandora's Box and Time started unraveling." Sage started.
"Rifts were created, thus souls started wandering the earth instead of going to the Underworld." Chezza finished.
Hades whistled. "Damn." He looked over to Amaris, "Sorry. How is Pandora?"
"Bored." Chezza replied.
"Shouldn't have opened the Box. Anyway, better now?"
"Yes, the Box has been returned."
"Where was the box?"
"It was in pieces. Nokomis can tell you in more details."
Everyone looked to her. She looked down at her cup and replied, "When I first arrived where Pandora was, the Box was not there. I was pulled through a rift and saw the box being stolen. The man threw the first piece through the rift, sending it to our present time. Then he took off and I followed after him, once again going through another rift. We ended up Russia and we ran through an old village. I lost him and by the time I found him again, he had already hid the second piece. He disappeared once more and the final time I saw him he was bleeding out in the snow. He gave me the last piece and I walked through another rift. I walked two hours, almost frozen when I ran into a local pack. I gave the Alpha the last piece, afraid I would not make it to the cave alive." Nokomis felt Aron stiffen next to her. "I walked through one last rift to find myself back with Pandora. I became the 'Box' until everyone showed up. I do not know what happened when I..." Nokomis shook her head. "The next thing I knew, there was fighting everywhere and we eventually placed the Box back and Time was held together once again."
"Aron had the second box piece and we left it with Pandora to look after while we traveled to Russia for the last. After retrieving it there, we went back to Greenland and put the Box together but in the process fought with Fey treasure hunters." Sage supplied.
"Why did Aron have a Box piece?" Amaris asked.
"The pack Nokomis charged the Box with was my old pack." Aron replied, headed tilted down. Almost everyone remained quiet, not knowing what to say.
"I'm sorry you had to go through all you did, but seriously I couldn't do anything. Thank you for everything." Hades bowed his head in thanks.
"What happens now?" Corbin asked, speaking for the first time since Rhyme died.
"Things continue on like nothing happened." Hades replied, but it wasn't cruel. "It's unfair, but life keeps going even when your world falls apart or you experience something no one can ever understand. I suggest you don't lose contact with each other because only you guys understand each other. Talk about it, grieve for those you've lost, but move forward. Take your time, but don't get stuck in the past because Time doesn't care." Hades stood and handed his cup to Amaris. "Thank you for the teas, it was lovely. Orthrus, time to go." Orhtrus stood from where he lay next to Hades' seat and walked over to every to say farewell. When he came to Nokomis, he liked her and whined.
"It will miss you too. Farewell my friend." She patted him and kissed his two heads. Each head licked her cheek before he trotted back to Hades.
"It's been fun in the most unfortunate way. See ya when you're dead." Hades waved and then was gone in a burst of blue and white flames.
"He sure knows how to make an exit." Amaris shook her head. "You all may stay here tonight. You look exhausted." Everyone thanked her and headed downstairs to find somewhere to sleep. Only Nokomis, Aron and Amaris stayed upstairs. "I will meet you at home, do not stay too late. Good night master Aron."
"Good night, Amaris. Thank you." He nodded in her direction. She looked at him curiously before nodding back and heading out the door.
They were quiet for a few moments before Aron whispered, "You okay?" He stepped close to her and hugged her.
"Getting there. I am so tired... Physically and mentally." Nokomis nuzzled his chest, finding a comfortable position.
"What happened?" He led her to a chair and sat her on his lap, nestling her against him.
"What part?"
"All of it."
"I told the basics, but it was harder than it probably sounded. I felt death walking beside me as I walked through the frozen wind." She stopped for a moment. "I was surprised you did not recognize me." She chuckled.
"What of you? You should have recognized me."
"To be fair, that event had not happened in my timeline yet and you were but a boy. I only recognized you because of your eyes." She did love his strange eyes.
"You hid from me."
"I did not want you to remember me."
"Why?"
"I do not know. Perhaps so you did not ruin everything when our journey began. When you first met me, I was on the verge of death. When I first met you, I knew nothing about what was happening. How awkward would it have been for you to know me and me not know you?"
"I was mean to you."
"You were hurting."
"Doesn't mean-"
"Shh." She placed a finger on his lips, "It all worked out in the end." She smiled gently. He hummed in agreement and kissed her. "You were adorable."
"Really? Adorable?" He growled playfully.
"Yes, all smiles and large eyes."
"And now?" He whispered and nuzzled her temple.
"Handsome."
"I'll take that."
"You know what is weird."
"What?"
"I am now technically older than you. I was the Box for about 12 years in this body and yet did not age."
"Old lady."
"Jerk."
Hesitatingly Aron asked, "What was being the Box like?"
Nokomis bit her lip, "It was... painful and draining and chaotic and disorienting all at once... I was conscious and yet trapped in my body. I could not move it except on occasion which threw everything off and Time would unravel. A person is not mean to be Pandora's Box and having all of Time in your head feels like you are being ripped apart atom by atom. I had to keep everything from unraveling even though time in not linear and is all over the place. I sometimes did not know who or what I was. I think I was going insane, but I do not know... Did you know the reason I passed out and had seizures was because I became the Box?"
"What do you mean?" He looked at her surprised.
"When I went back in time and became the Box, I was existing in two places at once and that is not suppose to happen. When I was 'asleep' as the Box, my other self moved around without a problem. However when I woke, she would have to pass out. When I screamed, she had a seizure."
"How do you know?"
"I saw it. I was Time remember? I saw everything."
"Did you see?"
"Yes." Nokomis stroked Aron's cheek. "Humans are cruel creatures."
"They can be, but not all." He rubbed his cheek in her hand and he placed his over her's. "Do you remember your past?"
"What do you mean?" She looked at him with confusion all over her face.
"Please answer the question."
"Okay?" She thought back and found she remembered nothing before age 8. "Nothing before age 8."
"Do you know why?" She shook her head and waited. "Pandora told me the price of being the Box. Besides all the pain you went through, it draws on energy to keep you alive and Time together. Usually it would feed on a human or Fey's magic-"
"But since I am Unifted..."
"It used your memories, slowly taking them from you."
"Shit. I have not gone through enough, it needed to take my memories. That is messed up." Nokomis huffed out in anger.
"That is what I thought."
"Great minds think a like, eh?" He hummed again and held her tighter. After ten minutes she started pulling away. "I need to get back or mother and father will worry." She stroked his cheek again. "I will be back tomorrow morning." They stood up and walked to the door.
"Try to sleep."
"You too." She hugged him tightly, feeling strange leaving him after months of sleeping near each other. When she got home, her mother was waiting up for her. "I am home."
Amaris smiled gently with tears in her eyes, "You are. Your father will be excited when he returns from a conference. Come, let us get you to bed." Together the women walked up the stairs to Nokomis's room. Nokomis stripped down to just her bra and underwear and crawled into bed. Amaris sat down next to her. "Are you okay?"
"I am tired. That was a taxing journey." She replied honestly.
"I can imagine. I am sorry for your losses." Amaris stroked the young woman's bangs out of her face.
"I am worried about Corbin. Rhyme was basically his family and now..."
"Be there for him."
"I can try, but he is not exactly my friend."
"Does not matter, you were there and knew Rhyme. That alone makes all the difference because you can understand."
"I am not going anywhere and am willing to listen."
"Make sure he knows this."
"It is all I ever do."
"Nonetheless, let him know."
"I will."
"Good. Good night my love." She bent down and kissed Nokomis on the head before leaving to go to bed herself. The next morning, Amaris rose like usual, checked on a still sleeping Nokomis, and went to The Wayfarer to check on her guests. All were still asleep except for Aron who sat against the wall. "Good Morning, master Aron."
He turned his and nodded, "Morning, Lady Amaris."
She cocked her head slightly, noticing how his eyes did not focus on her. "How was your sleep?"
"Fine."
"Do you mind helping me open up? Syn informed me she should would be late today."
"Sure." He got up and followed after her. She instructed him on what to do and watched him perform each task. "Aron, may I ask you a question?"
"Sure."
"Are you have trouble with your sight?"
He slowed down what he was doing and paused before replying, "I can't see. I lost it fighting a snow giant in Greenland."
"I can take a look and see if either I or Dmitri can help you." She offered.
"Dakota already said nothing could be done."
"As much as he is a little shit, excuse me language, he is an excellent healer. May I ask you another one?" Aron nodded as he continued his work. "What is going on between you and my daughter?"
"What do you mean?"
"When you left here, you wanted nothing to do with her. When you returned last night, she rarely strayed more than a few inches from you and vise versa. Mind sharing?"
"She is my mate." He replied awkwardly, the word sounding strange as he said it.
Amaris stiffened, "Is she aware of this?"
"No. She is aware that I have feelings for her and I know she has feelings for me."
"You two are dating then?"
"Maybe? It's been complicated so I'm not quite sure what to call our relationship."
Amaris looked at the man in front of her. From the way their bodies talked last night, they cared for each other deeply. "Do not hurt her or you will regret it, understand?"
"Yes ma'am."
"Good. What would you like to eat?"

~~Graduation Day~~
Aron stood in the sea of people, still uncomfortable even after living with Nokomis for the past three years. He still wasn't a fan of humans, still hated crowds, and still didn't understand why human society demanded that he wear the ridiculous outfit called formal clothing. He would never understand human customs. He stood off to the side with his hands in his pockets, until he heard her familiar voice and Japanese Cherry Blossoms wafted his way. Aron slowly inched closer and waited. After she greeted her parents who were wicked excited for her, he heard her bound towards him and easily caught her.
"You came!" Nokomis smiled into his neck.
"I wouldn't have missed this." He replied with his face in her hair.
"I was minorly doubtful only because I know you are not fond of humans, hate crowds, and dislike wearing anything more than pants." She pulled away and looked at him, "You look handsome by the way."
"Does he not?" Amaris smiled at the couple. "Had to fight him tooth and nail to get him to wear it." She chuckled.
"Almost thought we were going to have a fight break out in our living room." Dmitri grinned as he came to stand next to his wife.
"I wasn't that bad." He scowled at the couple.
"Right." Amaris teased.
"I'm taking this tie off." He grumbled as he pulled it loose. Nokomis laughed as she took his hand and steered him towards home.
"When is everyone suppose to be coming?"Dmitri asked as they walked.
"A little after closing. They will be staying the night and then hang out tomorrow." Nokomis replied.
"Will Hades and Hel be joining this year?"
"Hel said they would, but it will depend on how busy the Underworld is. They may pop in for a little while."
"As long as they do not set anything on fire." The group laughed, remember the last time they visited. Once they returned home, Amaris and Dmitri went into the house while Nokomis and Aron continued through the woods.
"It's been three years since we returned." Aron commented as he listened to the world around him.
"It has. Almost four since we first left The Wayfarer. Almost four since I first met you."
Aron chuckled, "Almost 20 years since I first met you." He spun her around and kissed her.
"Time is confusing." She giggled into the kiss. "I've known you for four, yet 'known' you for almost 20."
"That's fine with me." He deepened the kiss and then kissed her forehead. The two walked a little more until they came to a stream. "I still don't understand the need for clothes in this weather." He pulled the white shirt from his dress pants, sweating from the heat of the day.
Nokomis grinned as she stepped in front of him, grabbed the front of his shirt and pulled him down for a kiss. "It is useful for that, but if you do not want to wear it anymore," She brought her lips to his ear. "I can help you take it off."
"You are treading dangerous waters Miss Ash." He growled before pulling her close and kissing her. She humming in satisfaction and slowly unbuttoned his shirt. Maybe shirts aren't that bad...
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoyed the journey of a very ordinary young woman who did extraordinary things. Cheers!