Status: And done!

The Wayfarer Way Station

She's More than She Knew

"Amaris, where is Nokomis?" Sage asked, by now so use to seeing the young woman behind the bar.
Amaris looked up from searching for a bottle of alcohol. "Her last day was yesterday. She is studying for her final exams." Sage nodded. "Are you still planning to meet here to talk about the journey tonight?"
"Yes, as far as I know."
"Okay. Please do not destroy my Way Station if you get into a disagreement."
"I'll make sure my pack stays in line."
"Thank you. Now what would you like to drink?" Sage grinned and ordered a strong beverage which he took back to his pack.
Nokomis stressed as she read over her notes for two of her classes. She was well aware she knew the information, but she got terrible test anxiety. Orthrus sat patiently by her feet, every once in a while nuzzling her calf for comfort. She grinned and stroked his heads whenever she stressed the hellhound. Around 11 pm, Nokomis stood up and stretched. "Time to meet with the others." She informed her canine companion. Orthrus did a sneezing agreement and started towards the stairs. Nokomis followed the large hound after packing her bag of all her books. She lugged it up to find everyone already sitting about.
"Glad you could join us Noko." Dakota greeted sarcastically.
"I knew you were here, was not sure I wanted to come." Nokomis shot back.
Chezza and her leap laughed loudly as the leader commented, "I think we are going to be friends, you and I."
"Nokomis, be nice." Amaris lightly scolded.
"Sorry mother." Nokomis dropped her bag with a thud.
"What in all the planes is in that thing?" Corbin the Wind Wizard asked alarmed.
"All my books. I have exams for the next three days. May we begin?" She was tired and wanted to go to sleep.
Amaris stepped before everyone, acting as mediator so no one felt slighted. "You are planning to leave in four days time, am I correct?" Everyone nodded. "Do you have any idea where you will be travelling to?"
After a moment of silence, Chezza answered, "Not really. Orthrus pawed at Australia and then Russia, but he wasn't really sure."
"We asked him how confident he was and he just replied he was mostly confident in the general area." Sage backed up.
"So pack for both warm and cold weather. This will pertain more for those who do not run hotter than the humanoid 98.5. I can enchant clothing to be more resistant to the cold for those who will be wearing coats and spacial proportions so you can carry more in smaller packs. Please come to me tomorrow or even tonight and not wait until the night before you leave. Dmitri and I can also help with some food and liquids, but you will need to pay for some of it because it does cost us. Understood?" Again everyone nodded. "Great."
"Now let us talk specialties." Dmitri took over the floor. "If you are ever in need to fight, you need to know what each other excel in so less people are harmed. Corbin?" He motioned.
"I'm an offensive wizard. I can do both range and close combat." He replied and passed the spotlight to his partner.
"I cause long term damage, stuns, confusions, the usual Siren attacks. Although I mostly specialize in stunning attacks." Rhyme informed and motioned for Chezza to go.
"We are a Panther Leap therefore we are better at stealth and agility. Strike, evade, disappear, repeat. However, when cornered we can tear our enemy apart life they are made of nothing." She grinned as her eyes started to glow a little.
"Thank you, Chezza." Dmitri nodded. "Alpha Sage."
"We can be stealthy when we need to, but while cats are made for agility we are made for brute force. We work as a unit to take down an enemy and can handle between 1 to 7 enemies depending on what they are." Sage said.
"Well, I know a few offensive spells but generally I am defensive. I'll protect everyone's asses so in case they screw up they don't die." Dakota held his head up high.
"I think I'll take my chances." Chezza muttered causing her Leap and a few of Sage's pack members to chuckled. Dakota scowled.
"You won't be saying that when you're getting your ass kicked by whatever we face."
"We'll see about that, wizard. We have been fighting our own battle for a long time without the need of your kind."
"No wonder there is so few of you." Chezza snarled and a shouting match started.
Nokomis walked over to her mother and suggested, "You may want to stop them before someone gets hurt and this fragile alliance shatters. And to save the furniture."
Amaris sighed, "I suppose." She muttered a few words and seconds from finishing her chant, everyone in the fight was pushed to their assigned corner. "Enough, stop acting like children." The room stared at Amaris in shock.
"Nokomis, please inform everyone what you are proficient in." Dmitri looked to his daughter.
"Yeah, what can you offer this raggedy band of supernatural?" Rhyme asked with his arms crossed.
"I am medically trained and I am skilled in long range weapons. More specifically I am an expert bowman and dagger wielder." She replied.
"Really?" Rhyme scoffed. "Let's see then." Without a second thought, Nokomis flicked her arm out. With a thunk, a thin dagger protruded from the beam right above Rhyme's head.
Sage whistled, "Impressive. Do you have any more on you?"
"I usually carry about five on me."
"Where?" Dakota looked at her with wide eyes.
"Forearms, biceps, ankles, etc. Really it depends on what I am wearing."
"Guess that's what happens when you grow up in the supernatural world." Chezza grinned.
Amaris bit her lip as she spoke up again, "There is something else everyone must be aware of." Dmitri looked at his wife and after a moment nodded. "Nokomis must be watched after very carefully."
"We're all aware she's human, we'll make sure she's fine." Corbin waved his hand uncaring.
"No, she is not just some human." Amaris paused a moment and then raised her head, "She is an Ungifted."
The room fell silent as Nokomis whipped her head in her mother's direction. "What?"
"They are only fairy tales." Sage protested.
"For once I agree with the wolf, they are only to scare magical beings so they stay away from humans." Chezza argued.
Amaris held up her hand, "She is as I have said."
"What does Ungifted mean?" Nokomis demanded.
"An Ungifted is a human who can neither perform any magic nor be affected by it. Every human has the ability to do magic even if it little things, but you my dear, cannot." Nokomis stared at her parents in disbelief. "Nomokis-"
The young woman held up a hand, "When were you going to tell me?" Her ears started ringing a little.
"It did not seem that important."
"Not important? If I was anything else, you would have told me!"
"Yes, but-"
"I cannot handle this right now." Her head was starting to get light headed. "I will be back." She spun on her heels and headed back towards the cellar. Orthrus whimpered and followed after her.
"Oh dear." Amaris sighed. "Dmitri make sure she makes it to the couch." Dmitri nodded and followed after his daughter. After taking a deep breath, Amaris addressed the group again, "Being an Ungifted is a blessing and a curse. Since she cannot be effected by magic, she shall be safe from those kind of attacks. However, that also means that anything magic towards her will not work. I can enchant garments, but her's will not protect her from the cold. I will be placing protection spells on all of you, but she will be vulnerable. Please take care. Also, make sure no one knows she is an Ungifted other than everyone standing here. She will be hunted if others find out about her. Understand?"
"Who would want an Ungifted?" Dakota asked making a face.
"You really are an idiot aren't you?" Sage asked shaking his head. "Nokomis could be used as an anti-magic shield or to steal an item that is guarded by magic."
"Very good."
"Amaris, what is wrong with Nokomis? Her heart rate is slow."
"She, on rare occasions, faints. There is some fancy human word for it, but basically she faints."
"Awesome, not only is she human but she's defective." Rhyme rolled his eyes.
"I really hope you get hurt, so I can play nurse instead of gentle Nokomis." Chezza grinned at the Siren. Rhyme glared at the panther but said nothing.
"When it happens, it usually occurs in pairs but they are spread out." Amaris continued, ignoring the two. "Then she can go years without fainting. She may never faint while on this journey."
"The bag enlargement spell, will that not work for Nokomis?" Sage asked.
Amaris thought, "I am unsure. The protection and cold resistant spells would be actively acting on her, while the enlargement spell would be solely acting on the object. I will test it out tomorrow and inform you of my findings. Any other questions?" Everyone shook their head. Amaris dismissed the group and went to check on her daughter.
♠ ♠ ♠
Who's your favorite character so far? Let me know! I kind of miss Hades...