Status: Completed.

All My Heart

Fragile

2nd November 2010

Dan hesitantly raised a hand to knock on the wooden door of his best friend's bedroom door. He was dressed in skinny black dress pants, a white dress shirt and a black suit jacket. The last time he wore that outfit was for someone's wedding, and now he was using it for a funeral. He absolutely hated that. His tie hung loosely around his neck for he had no idea how to tie one properly - it'd always end up looking like a toddler had done it for him.

He had driven Aria back to her flat, staying by her side until she fell asleep. Even then, he made sure to speed back home; pick up his suit and then head back to her flat. Aria might not have wanted him there, but he didn't care. He wasn't going to leave her alone.

"Ari?" He called out softly, knocking gently on the wooden piece that blocked him from her. "Can I come in?"

Dan received nothing in response, so he sighed - running his fingers through his bleached blonde head of hair. He'd styled it as best as he could without any hair wax. Without the product in his hair, it was rather limp and occasionally fell into his eyes.

"Please, Ari." He called through the door, again receiving nothing in response.

With a sigh, he let his back slide against the door till his bum hit the floor. He bent his knees and rested his forearms on them, then resting his head against the door. He could hear her soft sniffles from where he was slumped, and it tore at his soul.

"I'll meet you there." She spoke finally, as though she was in the exact same position at the other end of the door.

"No, you won't." Dan managed a smile. "I know you, Ari."

He could've sworn he heard a small chuckle from the girl. His smile grew just slightly, for he knew that she was thinking the same thing that he was. They were using the exact words used when Dan's father had passed away - earlier that same year.

Dan had locked himself in his room, refusing to talk to anyone apart from Aria, his mother or his sister. Even then he didn't talk, he just let them be in his presence. On the day of the funeral, Aria tried to go into his room so that she could make sure he looked the least bit presentable - he'd been in joggers and sweatshirts the whole time since he came home from their tour break for his father's funeral plans and such.

She was in the exact same position that he currently was, trying to coax him out but failing miserably. He choked out an 'I'll meet you there', and she had let out a small laugh, saying that he wouldn't, because she knew him.

The sound of the door handle jiggling a bit made him lean away from the door, glancing up to be met with Aria dressed in a simple black dress and leggings underneath, minimal make up and her hair tied up into a ponytail.

A broken smile crossed her lips as she looked down at the older boy sat on the floor. "21 years old and still absolute shit at tying a tie."

"That's what you're here for." He smiled back, getting to his feet.

Dan stood in front of her, watching as she did up his tie, her hands shaky. Once she was done; the tie being fastened properly up to the collar of his shirt, she just laid her hands on his chest, taking deliberate breaths.

Dan simply wound his arms around her, hushing her as she started to sniffle. "Let it out. Just let it out." He cooed, playing with the ends of her hair.

Never had he ever seen her so fragile, and never did he ever want to see her so fragile again. It felt like she could just fall apart at any moment and every time he saw her like that, his heart broke a little bit more.


***

Dan sighed softly as Aria turned on her bed, facing away from Dan. He'd brought her home after the hospital since she downright refused to stay the night. The doctors had informed him of the damage, and Dan wanted nothing more than to go out and find the bastard who'd caused her that much pain. Two of her ribs were broken, and she had multiple deep cuts and bruises. The doctor prescribed multiple bottles of pain medication but there was really nothing else they could do. Aria had to go through the pain with the help of some measly pain medication while her body repaired itself.

"Do you want something to eat, love?" He asked quietly, rounding the bed so that he could kneel in front of her by the bed.

She shook her head, burying her face in her pillow so as to avoid eye contact, and then wincing as she did so. Dan reached out, gulping as she flinched away.

"I'm not going to hurt you, I swear." He vowed quietly as his hand reached out once more. Gently, he raised her head away from where it was buried in the pillow. "Don't do that, your bruises will hurt more."

Aria nodded but then she backed away from his hand, like his hand was a deadly python. He drew his hand back, giving her a shaky smile. He didn't move from his spot though. He stayed put, on the floor, resting his back against her bedside table.

Dan had been feeling extra protective since she'd called him up. He refused to leave her side unless he knew that she was really asleep and not having any nightmares.

Aria knew this, for she didn't say anything and merely looked at him as he shut his eyes; eyebrows crinkled together and forehead creased. She knew that he was blaming himself for what had happened. She knew that he was beating himself up for what would've happened if she hadn't gotten away.

She reached a hand out, gently picking up one of Dan's larger and worn hands. His blue eyes snapped open to look at her, but she didn't look up at him. She stared at their hands, moving her fingers so that they could interlock their fingers together. With a small squeeze from the male, she finally glanced up. He smiled at her, gently pressing his lips to the back of her hand before shutting his eyes once more and leaning his head back against the bedside table.

Aria watched him for a moment, wondering what'd she done in a past life to deserve someone like him in her life. Gently squeezing his hand, she shut her eyes, the warmth of Dan's hand being her safety to guide her into a deep sleep.

One in which she wasn't so shaken up, and where she and Dan could live happily ever after - like they always had.

Dan popped his eyes open a couple of minutes after Aria had shut hers. By her steadied breathing pattern and looser grip on his hand, he could assure himself that she'd fallen asleep. His eyes danced over her beautiful face, taking in each and every feature now bruised and some bloodied. He'd lent her one of his jumpers and a pair of his boxers to change into before she went into bed. He would've offered her her own set of joggers but he knew that she hated sleeping in long pants. Though her body was hidden under the duvet, he knew what was hidden. That was when he felt something wet sliding down his cheeks and landing on the hardwood floor with soft plops.

He sniffed, rubbing at his eyes, willing himself to stop crying. He was supposed to be the strong one. He had to be the strong one for the both of them. Crying wouldn't turn back time, so that he would be able to stop her from seeing James, or to drop by the bastard's house to make sure that she was okay. Crying didn't do him any good, and yet, he couldn't stop.

The bedroom door gingerly clicked open and Dan's head snapped up to be met with familiar warm brown eyes. "Is she okay?" Max asked in a hushed tone, taking a cautious step into the room.

He knew how protective Dan had gotten over Aria. Heck, Max himself wanted to find the guy and beat him to pulp just for hurting Aria, merely because he loved her like a little sister. All of them did, which was why they were all looking so cautious and worried and angry, all at the same time.

Dan was also their best friend, and Aria was practically attached to him. One couldn't say the name Dan without adding the name Aria after it, and it was the same for Aria.

"I want to kill him." Dan spoke lowly, using his hand to softly brush away the hair that had fallen into her face.

The guys said nothing, though they just watched Aria as she slept soundly and the way Dan looked at her. They knew that he was in love with her and they'd tried to get him to admit it for years but he insisted that he only loved her as a best friend. They'd given up on trying to get him to admit to being in love with her, merely because they knew that he probably hadn't even realised it himself. But they could see how much adoration he looked at her with. They all had girlfriends, so they all knew what it was like. Dan was in the same situation that they were.

"I'm sorry." Josh said suddenly, making them all look up at him; except for the sleeping beauty and the one currently gazing at her as his fingers mindlessly brushed through her hair.

"What for?" Dan asked softly.

"I told you she was fine and I - I was wrong. I'm so, so, sorry, Dan."

Dan shook his head. "It's not your fault." He assured the other male, who still looked guilty. "If anyone's to blame, it's me."

"Dan --"

"It's my fault."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to krizta and State Of Grace for commenting. Basically wrote this for you two. ✌

And thanks to anyone who's reading this for... reading this... yeah. ♡