Status: COMPLETED

Our Memories Blanket Us With Friends We Know

Let Me Go, Go On Record

Frank's driving, Gee's letter in on his passenger seat.
He turns into the parking lot of a local train station, parks and gets out.
In the distance, a train is just pulling into the station.

'Around 'your' time two years ago I lost something. At a train station. I was on my way back to my Internship and I left it on the platform. See if you can find it for me. I won't tell you what it is. Then put it in the mailbox. This is your mission if you choose to accept it. '

Frank walks through the station. A few people about. He looks for single men. He doesn't see any- just a couple of families, an elderly couple, some businessmen.
Then there's an announcement:
" Final call for the 5:46 to Manhattan, making the following stops. . ."
Franks keeps searching. But he has no luck.
Suddenly, through the window that looks out onto the train platform, he sees a young man stand up and prepare to board the train.
It's Gerard- here, two years younger, an Intern.

Frank doesn't know for sure if it's him, but he could be the person he's looking for, and he looks startlingly handsome. He hurries through the door and out onto the platform.

He is about to go over to him but Frank stops.

Gerard's arms are linked with a man's that has his back faced to Frank. They embrace and it looks like their waiting to get on the train. Neither has noticed that Gerard has left a book on the bench where they have been sitting. Frank sees it, but it would be awkward to go over and interrupt the hug.
He hesitates.
The train conductor announces the final boarding. They both hop on.
Once they leave, Frank goes over to the bench and looks at the book Gerard left. Or comic should he say.

AT WAR WITH THE WEIRD! is plastered on the front. With a woman in latex and a skeleton being shocked by lightning. By the feel of it in Frank's hands he could tell it was a well-worn copy.

*~~~~~*

Gerard drives along the lake, eager to get to the silver mailbox.

He passes a sign: LAKESIDE CONDO DEVELOPMENT. It's new, upscale and sprawling.
" Hmm. . . Tacky. " He says to himself.

Gerard arrives at the Lake House, drives up to the mailbox. He get's out and opens it.

But there's no book inside. Only a note.
' What are you doing July 4th?'
He's a little disappointed.
He scurries over to the car, grabs and pen and writes: GOING TO THE FIREWORKS, I GUESS. I GO EVERY YEAR. WHY? ARE YOU ASKING ME OUT?
He put's the letter back, pushes the flag down and heads to the nearest beach.

*~~~~~*

As he's sitting at the beach, he think about Frank's letter and why the book wasn't there. He doesn't know why this was effecting him so bad.

*~~~~*

It's twilight and the red flag is down.
'No, no.' Started Frank's letter. 'I just thought it might be good to do the same thing, that's all'

" The same thing, two years apart, Frankie. " Gerard is nervous but writes a YES back fast and heads home.

*~~~~~*

Frank parks his car and joins the crowd moving down the busy New York street.
'It's just better than staying home' Frank last wrote to Gee.

*~~~~*

They arrive at the same corner from different directions. Both facing the river. Crowds of people join together. Frank makes his way to an Italian sausage stand run by and older man -perhaps late 50's- and another one that has to be in his 80's
The guy in his 50's is about to hand Frank his sausage but his father stops him and piles more onions on it.
" Son, you have to give the man his money's worth. " He turns to Frank " I'm still teaching him the business. "
The son smiles at his father. " Alright, Pop. "
Frank continues down the river.

Gerard makes his way to the same sausage stand and the man behind the stand looks sad and really old. He's alone.
" One, please. "
He nods and piles it high with onions.

Frank notices someone in the distance. It's Mulhern. And he's holding a blonde lady's hand. Frank dashes behind a family and head's far away from him.

Gerard's staring up at the sky, in the middle of and expected crowd, waiting for the fireworks.

Frank's in his crowd by the river.
Cheers break out as the first fireworks explode.

Fireworks explode and Frank and Gerard watch, the lights playing on their upturned faces

*~~~~*

' Frankie, did you go to the station? I never got my book?'

'Let me keep it for a while. I want to read it. There's something I've been meaning to ask you. Who was the guy at the train station?'

' Just an old boyfriend. '

'Your boyfriend?! Why didn't you tell me?'

' You don't tell me about your love life.'

'Because I don't have one. Unfortunately. God, I can't believe you didn't say you're in a relationship.'

' I'm not in one Frank. We broke up when I finished the Internship. I'm alone. '

'Okay. Me too '

' So. How were your fireworks?'

'Not as good as yours, I'll bet. They get better every year.'

'Yeah. . .' -Frank read's Gee's last letter.
The two of them were lying in different halves of their beds.
They both lie there, tossing in frustration, separated by time.

*~~~~~*

'At the Train Station I . . .'
Gerard notices that Frank's crossed words out and started over. 'When I saw you. . . I wasn't expecting' that sentence is also crossed out. 'You're so handsome!'
Gerard reads these words. He can’t suppress a startled little gasp. He looks around, embarrassed.
He's on his lunch break and he's sitting in the park again. No one has heard him though.
He writes: ' Not fair! You saw me but I still don’t know what you look like.'

It's the next day and Gerard stopped by the Lake House to receive Frank's letter. He put it on his passenger seat and the both drove to Gerard's work together.

He's on break again and reads - 'You're right. I wouldn't mind knowing what I'm like in two years. Why don't you get together with 'me' in the future and let me know what you think?'
Gerard considers this.

He takes a breath, suddenly excited and nervous. His life could be about to change.
He writes: ' OKAY... WHY NOT GIVE ME A CALL ON JULY 10, 2004, AT ABOUT
He checks his watch. It's 9:04. He writes down 9:05, as it finishes the last curve of the "5" --
The PHONE RINGS.
He nearly faints in the park.
Gerard steadies himself.
He hesitates, then snatches up the receiver, heart racing.
" Hello? " Gerard whispers.

"Gerard? "

" Yes? "

" It's Matt. "
It takes a moment for this to sink in.

" Matt? "

" Yeah. I’m in New York. I came down for a meeting but it was cancelled, so I thought I'd give you a call. What the hell. See if you were free. "
♠ ♠ ♠
will Gerard go back to his old love? will they move into the lake house together and will gee have a secret relationship with frank? who knows? i'm the author ;) tell me what i shouldn't do. . . say for instance. . . kill frank off????????