Status: COMPLETED

Our Memories Blanket Us With Friends We Know

Let Us Give Them One More Reason Now

Gerard and Matt eat in the pizza place they wound up in before. They seem a bit more relaxed with each other than last.

" I didn't think you'd come out to see me, Gee. "

Gerard shoot him a look " Don't take it personally. "

" You just couldn't say no to the free meal? "

" Exactly. "

Matt laughs

So. How'd your 'meeting' go? " Gerard asks.

" I told you. I didn't make it up, it really happened. "

" Prove it. "

" Well, they offered me a job. "

Gerard is well past surprised.

" It's a big telecom company. I’m gonna be in-house counsel. " Matt smiles. " Call them if you don't believe me. "
*
They walk along the street, most of the stars out, a head to Gerard's apartments.

" When will you move here? "

" Right away. "

Gerard gives him a look of suspicion.

"I took the job because I wanted the job. It happened to be in New York. It's no ambush, Gee. "

" Said the man swore he'd never leave his hometown. "

Matt shrugs. " People change. "

They arrive at Gerard's building.
" Well, it's great news. Congratulations, Matt. I'm really happy for you.

" Thanks. Thanks for coming out. "

" Anytime. "

Gerard decides to lean in and kiss him goodnight, briefly. Matt's surprised and pleased. He looks at him. It's comfortable, familiar.
A tree behind Matt sways in the night air. It's the tree Frank planted.
Gerard glances at it, then closes his eyes and draws Matt tin closer.

*~~~~*

The mailbox is covered with snow. It’s so cold that the Lake has frozen near the shore. Frank, walking by, checks inside the mailbox, a reflex.
It's empty.
He slams it shut.
*
Jamia Nestor opens her front door. Frank is standing there. She looks at him, surprised.

" What's the matter? Is there a problem at the site? "

" No, no problem. "

" So what are you doing here? "

He steps forward and kisses her. She returns it, eager. She pulls him inside.
" What took you so damn long? " She closes the door.
*
Frank walks Pepper on a cold morning near the Lake. Frank's distracted, out of it, and doesn't notice as Pepper trots away, toward the frozen lake.
He finally looks around for the dog. " Hey. "

Pepper starts running. Frank chases him.
Pepper dashes onto the lake, chasing birds across the ice. Frank of course goes out after him. " Pepper! "
But Pepper is far away and getting farther, making for some distant trees.
Frank tries to follow. He slips on the ice.
By the time he gets to his feet Frank is nowhere to be seen. Frank wheels around, upset. The dog is really gone.
Frank is about to call him again when he suddenly stops. A realization dawns on his face.

He runs back inside the Lake House.

Frank methodically and determinedly packs up the house.
He tapes together cardboard boxes and throws his possessions in. He bags garbage and sweeps and mops.
In the course of his work he finds a stack of Gerard's letters. He looks at them for a moment, then bundles them up and buries them deep in a cardboard box.
He carries the box into the attic and seals it.
Franks wait's until the time on his dashboard turns to 10:00 and he heads out for the local law office.

*~~~~*

Matt's in his office at the front of the law office.
Outside Frank pulls up his truck. The back of his truck is filled up with his possessions.
As Matt comes out he immediately recognizes Frank from the party, and he doesn't look happy to see him.

" Still want to rent a Lake House? " He ask.
Frank tosses him a set of keys. " It's what Gerard wants. "

Matt's stunned for a second. " How the hell do you know? "

" Trust me. " Frank says. He nods to Matt and get's in his truck and drives away.

Matt pockets the keys and turns to go back inside.
Something catches his eye.

In the distance a dog is slowly waltzing down the street, looking cold and lost. It's Pepper.
♠ ♠ ♠
WE ARE CLOSE TO COMPLETION.