Status: COMPLETED

Our Memories Blanket Us With Friends We Know

Drowning Out These Grey Stained Windows

Matt's buried under piles of work. Gerard's clicking through channels on the TV. He comes across some station and holds on it.

" Hey Gee, could you turn that down a little, babe? "

Gerard clicks OFF the TV, annoyed, and goes into the bedroom.

As he walks in, the floorboard squeaks. He stops, then tests it with his toe. It squeaks again. He bends down to examine it and finds that it lifts up quite easily.
Gerard pulls the floorboard back. To his surprise, there's a space underneath. He reaches down into it.
He pulls out a package wrapped tight in dusty plastic and opens it.
It is his copy of Doom Patrol.
One page is marked and a speech bubble is highlighted.
"If we can do anything, like you say, then I will wait. I will wait until we can do anything we want to. Together."
He stares at it, his breath catching on his throat.

*~~~~~*

An overcast winter day and Gerard waits in the cold outside a converted First Loft building. Matt arrives and they go in together. As they do, they pass a sign with a logo that consists of an intertwined T and I.
The offices look sort of makeshift. Matt looks around.

" It's a new firm, Matt. "

" I'm sure they're very good. "

" While we're waiting. " He hands Matt a card." Happy Valentine's. "

" Gerard. Thanks. Oh God, I didn't get you anything-- I've been so swamped. . . "

" It doesn't matter. " Says Gerard and a receptionist approaches them.

"Mr. Way? They're ready for you. "
Both men follow her to a conference area.

*~~~~*

Ray and Frank coming out in their winter coats. Ray's dressed for another job interview, Frank's going to school. As they emerge out onto the street they realize it is surprisingly warm.

" Hey. What is this? "

Ray shrugs. " Its Global Warming, Frank. "

*~~~~~*

Gerard and Matt wait in the conference area.

The door opens and an architect comes in." Hi. Raymond Toro. Sorry to keep you waiting. I'm sort of the number two man here. The boss'll be here any second. "
Gerard and Matt nod in unison.
Then after a moment the door opens again. They look up.
" Gerard Way? Hi, we spoke on the phone. Vanessa Vanderbeck. Welcome to Toro and Associates. "

" So. . ." Matt says as they are seated.

Vanessa laughs. She brings out the sketches for remodeling. Matt looks very unhappy, but Gerard is ecstatic.

" It's kind of. . . Out there isn't it? "

" Well, this is the direction Gerard said he was looking for. "

" I love it, Vanessa. I think it looks great. "

Matt glares at him. Gerard shoots a look back.

*~~~~~*

Frank and Ray open their coats as they walk in the warm weather.

" You want to grab a beer after your interview later? "

" Can't. Taking Vanessa out for Valentine's. "
Frank keeps going for a few more steps. Then he stops. " What? "

" What? She's my girlfriend. Is that strange? "

Frank looks around. It a warm day. People are on the street enjoying the sunshine.
Frank turns back to Ray, a strange look on his face.

" What is the date? "

" Valentine's Day. February 14. What do you mean? "

" February 14. 2004. "

" Yes. What is the matter with you? "

" He told me about today. "

" Who? You mean the man Gerard? "

" Yes! There's a letter that says where he's gonna be. "

" He wrote to you?

" Yeah. I could see him today. You said it last night- what have I got to lose? "

" What are you waiting for? "

" I've just got to find the letter!" Frank runs back to the house.

*~~~~*

Their meeting concluding, Gerard and Matt shake hands with Vanessa and Ray.

" Well, terrific. We'll draw up some preliminary blueprints and go from there. "

" Great. "

" Ray, can you make sure they have everything they need from us?

" Yes, of course. "

" Good. We'll be in touch. "
She exits and Ray walks Gerard and Matt out.
" So, how long have you lived in"

" New York? "

" Well, I've been here about two years. . . "
As they walk, they pass a series of framed pictureson the wall. There is several of Ray's old Escher prints. . . and then, finally, something else. It is Frank's Lake House drawing. Gerard doesn't notice it.

*~~~~~*

Frank rummages madly through his things. He can't find Gerard's letters anywhere.

*~~~~~*

Gerard and Matt pull their coats on, preparing to leave.
Gerard suddenly freezes. He is staring across the loft.
He has noticed the Lake House Drawing. He slowly crosses the room until he's standing in front of it. He stays there, absolutely riveted, not speaking.

" Gee? "

Ray is nearby talking to a co-worker.

" What is this? "

Ray looks over. He clears his throat.
" This? Uh, this was done by a friend of mine. "

" Who? "

" Frank Iero. "

" Frank. . . "

"Yes. . .Did you. . . did you know him? "

" Yes. He-- Where is he? Do you know how I could get in touch with him? "

Ray is stricken. " I'm sorry. You don't know? "

" What? "

" He died. Two years ago. "

" Two years ago today, actually, There was an accident. . . "

Gerard tries to take this in. He knows. " Where? " He know's but he couldn't help but ask.

In the city of New York. It was heavy traffic. He was struck by a bus. "
*
Gerard runs out of the firm and to his car. It had begun to rain. Matt is behind him, bewildered, trying to keep up.

" Gerard! Wait! What's going on? "

" It's an emergency. " He looks at him and touches his face, gently. " I'm sorry. " He kisses him, quickly, upset, then jumps to his car and races away.
Matt watches him go.

*~~~~*

Frank is driving North out of the city. Bright sun. He's eager, excited. He accelerates, passing traffic.

*~~~~*

Gerard driving North out of the city, frantic, rain pouring onto his windshield. He weaves in and out of lanes, passing cars, driving recklessly, as fast as he can.
♠ ♠ ♠
ONE LAST CHAPTER JSHFAUFBEILZKS94;ANH. OH YEAH. HOPE YOU ALL ARE READY FOR THE FINALLY
ps. please warn me of any spelling mistakes or anything that makes me look like a dickhead :D THANKS