Arms

All Eyes on Us

It was days like these that made her nervous, the moment when you are handed your degree, your accomplishment and ready to set out for what you really want to do in the world. A small contribution that she desperately wanted to do and with every degree she obtained she felt a little closer to her goals.

Belen remembered when she was a seventeen year old year filled with dreams of hoping to one day have her own organization focus on deaf children, teens, and adults concerning education. There are only certain schools that accept from the deaf community and possibly only one deaf university that she had the privilege of going to. Gallaudet University, a safe haven for most deaf and hard of hearing students, she wanted to feel welcomed somewhere without the pressure of being laughed at, taken advantage of and being the brunt of someone’s joke.

That was one of her main reasons of instantly going to Gallaudet straight out of high school only there did she gain a level of confidence of her lifestyle that she refused to see as a disability any longer and decided to pursue her Master’s at a predominately hearing school.

She will admit she still gets stared at, possibly made fun of, but the tools that she practiced made it easier. Most people weren’t educated about the deaf community and lack of that has no experience how to communicate to them. So, she wanted to focus on bringing more people together having all walks of life be educated in her tight knit community she called family.

Another focus in her life other than teaching is hopefully getting the opportunity of traveling around the world encouraging deaf and hard of hearing children to pursue a higher education that anything is possible.

Now sitting in her row, black gown along with her school colors draped along her spine, she felt that much closer to activating her goals. Being able to hold one of her graduate’s hands in comfort mixed with tears and joy, they observed the director of their department showing her pride for the field they work for.

A sweet smile on her lips, Belen cannot wrap the idea around her head that she is finally obtaining one of the highest levels of degrees. Pushing herself to continuously going to school and being one of the youngest, she tried not to worry about the audience behind her. Matt shouldn’t be the focal point of her day, this is her special day; she should be glad that her family is here to celebrate with her along with her husband.

She could already picture her father, Oscar grinning from ear to ear sharing the bit of information that his daughter is the smartest in the class while her step-mother, Sonia constantly taking pictures. The repeated flashes could be from other parents, family or friends, but she assumed all the flashes were from her step-mother. While her grandparents, Refugio and Guadalupe excitedly clapped at every word as they had a hard understanding of English.

When she stepped onto the platform she suddenly became glad that she couldn’t hear a thing, the platform shaking from the crowd, her body going into auto pilot as she shook the director’s hand and received her diploma. On her way down, her eyes betrayed her and looked out into the crowd.

Her smile faltered not seeing Matt sitting alongside her family.

Biting the inside of her lip, she smiled at her friends as they raised their hands in the air twisting them left and right in applause. Joining her row of graduates, she grinned as her classmate signed, “After you Doctor.” Doing the same gesture, she bowed as she respectively responded; “Thank you, Doctor.”

With the diploma in her grasp, she felt on top of the world as tears started to leak from her eyes as she said her final goodbyes to her classmates. As much as she wanted to stay optimistic, it’s rare when graduates kept in touch, people separated going for their own personal goals leaving everyone else behind. Belen understood; she never kept in touch with any of her former classmates.

Now filing out of the auditorium, she pushed herself on tips of her toes to see anyone familiar in the crowd. Nibbling her bottom lip, she felt at lost when people nudged her out of the way to get to the person they came for. Emotions ran high as everyone embraced one another, gathering for one last photo for keep sake.

Belen is a loss of words when she saw the bright green eyes that she came to adore standing before her. Another set of tears came forth as she saw that he dressed up for the occasion something that she didn’t see him doing. “You came.” She emotionally cracked, hands nimbly shaking as he compassionately smiling at her. Brushing away her tears, he pulled her into a hug.

The strong aroma of his scent filled her senses immediately relaxing her into a sedative state. Lightly hugging him back, she leaned against him as she felt his chin on her cap. When he pulled away, the familiar beam on his lips shined as he said that he wouldn’t miss this for the world.

“R-really?” Unsure of his intentions, he nodded reassuringly.

“I hate being upset with someone I have come to care about. You kept your secrets and you tried to keep us platonic when I was pushing the relationship. Besides, I couldn’t miss your graduation, PhD, wow that is a high standard. Should I be calling you Dr. Soto now?”

Belen chuckled, “Only if you want to.”

All is forgiven as he asked to see her diploma, observing the pride etched on his features, he couldn’t help and tightly hug her again, happy for his little friend. Lifting her in the air the third time around, a loud squeal left her lips as she tightly wound her arms around his neck for dear life.

Curling his arm around her shoulders, he suggested they look for her family, noting that he saw them when he arrived a little later than he expected, he stood off to the side to avoid rudely bumping into people to find Ha’ri and the gang as he called it. Since he was leaning lower than he normally does, he had to constantly dodge one of the tips of her cap that attempted to take his eye out.

To avoid further hazards, he snatched the cap from her head and placed it on his. Grinning from ear to ear, he guided her on the outer wall of the crowd that is slowly starting to disperse. Finally finding her family, Belen took off in a flash tightly embracing each member of her family.

Matt noticed that she avoided Ha’ri only hugging him last that lasted possibly a few seconds. He didn’t know the relationship between the two and seeing that they are not close as he thought they were he wonders how they became like that.

Pulling back to his reverie, he excitedly shook his with each family member and to receive a shocking kiss from, Guadalupe the grandmother who winked at his suggestively. He soon learned that Oscar and Sonia are deaf; greeting them was easier than greeting Belen’s grandparents.

Refugio and Guadalupe heard perfectly, but the language barrier still held firm as he stumbled on a few words of Spanish he seem to grasp over the years. Guadalupe grinned as she squished his cheeks together muttering soothingly in Spanish leaving Belen blushing like mad, quickly signing away at her grandmother. While the two exchanged words, Matt stood in the sidelines intrigued as her grandmother naturally started signing a few words before verbally speaking Spanish while Belen used her hands.

There seem to be no hitches as the two talked, Ha’ri pulled him away from the conversation that only left Belen redder than before.

“What are they going on about?” Matt inquired, truly intrigued at the muted conversation.

“You, seems like Guadalupe has taken a liking to you. In her words, you are a dashing handsome young man that will make a nice collection piece for a sexual experience that only an Englishman can bring to the bed.”

Raising a brow, “Does she mean-”

“A threesome? Yes.” Ha’ri didn’t seem fazed as he explained, “She’s just going on about her own personal experiences with Belen, nothing you want to know in full detail.”

“Right.” Matt muttered as he watched Belen hide her face to cover all distractions that her grandmother seems to bring into the conversation. “Why don’t we suggest going out to eat?” Ha’ri isn’t amused by the fact that he wanted to steer the embarrassing venture Belen is enduring for something else. The husband only laughed at the events of Guadalupe adding her two cents to every conversation and seeing Matt coming to her rescue stirred something within him.

Belen sent him a look of gratitude and as much as she wanted to stay close to Matt, she lingered towards Ha’ri. Yet, Ha’ri could see the way Belen reached out to Matt, beaming, smiling and laughing at every single word that he is saying. The moment he convinced Belen to be friendly towards Matt, he had a feeling that they will connect on a deeper level if given the chance.

The on and off relationship of the two were hidden from Belen’s family considering their beliefs, he could see the shining diamond ring sitting on her finger, the one that she never wore any more. The setting sparkled unlike the wife that owned it, yet her eyes shined when she looked at Matt.

Interest that is what it is. Matt held her interest and seeing that she wanted to learn more about him made Ha’ri deter every word she said so he can weave himself into the conversation.

Belen stiffly smiled at her husband seeing what he is trying to do and letting his arm drape over her shoulders, her head still turned away from him. Everyone took notice of the subconscious notion leaving Matt in an awkward place, smiling and nodding trying to stir the spotlight off of him, he brought his glass in the air, “Let’s toast to Bey’s great success.”

Stiff shoulders became pronounced at the endearing nickname, Ha’ri frowned disliking him dubbing his wife as such, still holding his glass and grumbling a cheers. The rest of her family silently followed, Belen mouthing the words before thanking Matt again for slightly distracted everyone only for the five sets of eyes setting on the two once again.

Matt tried not to care or take notice as Belen relaxed pulled into the conversation they had ignoring the stares they were getting.