Status: I update when I can write more chapters. I apologize to the people who enjoy this story if I don't update enough.

Don't You Ever Forget About Me

Chapter Two

The day started out just like every day had throughout the summer. Christian had shook me awake but instead of opening my eyes to a silly face all I saw was sadness clouding his features.

"Hmm?" I asked, my voice still thick from sleep. "What's wrong?" I yawned.

"We're moving Friday. Mom just told me." He said in a quiet voice. "We won't be able to start middle school together."

"Where to?!" I cried, sitting bolt upright and swiveling my legs to hang off the side of the bed and face him.

"Boston. All the way over to the East Coast."

"No." I stated. My voice was defeated but I searched with urgency to find any clue he might be lying. He wouldn't look me in the eyes. "No. You can't leave. You're all I have. The only friend."

"Vicky, you're my only friend, too." He finally caught my eye. All I saw there was hurt. He wasn't lying.

"But.." I trailed off, reaching for a hug. He didn't hesitate to drop to his knees and wrap his arms around me fiercely. "Don't go. Don't leave me."

"I don't have a choice. I got into a huge fight with my parents. It's final. I stormed out and ran over to tell you as soon as I could." His voice was muffled in my now-wet hair. He was crying, but it was okay because I was, too. My only friend was leaving and there was nothing either of us could do.

"But you can't go." I sobbed into his shoulder, squeezing him closer to me. Memorizing the feel of his hugs. The sound of him crying.

"Shhh." He tried comforting me. His words were laced with depression. "Don't talk. Words hurt right now."

So we stayed quiet. We just locked each other in the best embrace that eleven year olds could give each other. I heard my parents walk by my room and peek in. But they left us alone, and I knew his parents had talked to mine about the topic.

We sat like that for a long time, just hugging each other and crying all the tears we could cry. And when those tears ran out we let them dry on our faces. Eventually we broke apart, though, and when he pulled away and started wiping his face I felt my hear shatter and my mentality crack. Even back then, in my eleven year old mind, I knew that I'd never be the same without him. That I'd never forget him.

After we finished wiping off our faces I finally spoke up. "Breakfast?" My voice cracked.

"Sure." His cracked too.

So we walked downstairs and he let me hold his hand as we walked. When we sat down we each had some cereal and I thought about all of the fun we wouldn't be able to have together any more. I wanted to cry and never talk to anyone again when I thought about me never seeing him again.

After we were finished my mom spoke up. "There's the telephone. And those web-cam things. We could get the Novellis new number and set up web-cams so you guys can talk and see each other. It doesn't have to be the end."

I caught Christians eye again and we hugged once more.
*~*~*~*~*
Moving day came far too quickly. We ended up on my stairs getting as many minutes together as we could before they left for Boston.

"I can't believe this is happening." I said.

"Me either."

"I'll miss you a lot."

"I'll miss you too, Victoria."

"Promise to call me as soon as you can?" I questioned, tears sliding down my face for the millionth time since he told me he was moving Monday.

"I swear. Please stop crying." He whispered, wiping at the tears with his hand.

"Sorry." I bit my lip to stop crying.

"Okay kiddo. Time to hit the road." His mom told us.

"Goodbye, Mrs. Novelli." I said, looking at her.

"Goodbye, Victoria. We'll miss you." She replied, giving me a sad smile.

I watched the rental van drive away, waving frantically as it disappeared from my view. I continued to wave for a while after that until my mom had me come inside. Once in there I cried harder than I ever had. It felt as if there was a hole in my heart where Christian and his friendship used to be.