Status: Just a short story, a random thought bubble one day.

FireWorks and Duty

Honesty, Honor, and Duty

The lights went out all around the town as everyone gathered around the park, blankets and cameras at the ready. I stood in the back waiting for the show to begin, but not feeling very into it.
Today was the day that we were to celebrate all of the men and women who died and who still serve our great nation, and so on and so forth, but all i could feel for our military was pure hatred.
Hatred that tried very desperately to consume me as the darkness fell over us all.
They had taken him away from me and on the one day that i was suppose to be playing with sparklers and singing happy songs and playing on rides and enjoy the light show that was about to begin, i was stuck alone.
Without him.
He was suppose to be out to sea, doing nothing, because his command had decided that he didn't do enough. But of course he did what he was suppose to. It wasnt his fault of course, it never would be and I would never fault him for it. But that didnt make the agonizing seize of my heart feel any better.
The consuming need to scream was to much for me. I feared for him, and cried at our loneliness, and had been left alone in a strange place with no one to go to. I fell to the ground just then, screaming out my frustration and hatred at myself for being so weak.
No one noticed.
Its hard to notice a small, frail, crying girl in the shadows whilst booms and shouts and whistles and bright hot flashes of light shoot across the sky. It wouldnt have done much of a difference if they had noticed me. It wasnt what i wanted. I wanted no one but him, forever and always.
<i>"Duty, my sister." </i> I looked around me letting out a surprised gasp as all of the hairs on my body raised. I was still letting out ragged sobbing sounds, but i hardly gave notice as I looked desperately for the haunting voice i had heard so close to me.
<i>"Its his duty to leave, and ours to be happy and hopeful. You are strong dear sister, now stand up with the rest of us.</i> I looked behind me to see a shape take form by the firework light, only to disappear again as it darkened. Back and forth she appeared, seeming to come from a time of stockings and hair curlers. She wasnt real, a part of me just knew she wasn't truly in front of me. but I did know that she wasnt fake either. She gave me a quizzical look the quirked an eyebrow.
<i> "Are you ready to do your duty HomeFront Fighter?" </i> It was indignant sounding and though I knew she was right about me, I couldnt let myself think of being happy without him. I feared that without sadness, my need for him would go away, and his want for me if he thought he was unneeded. So I did the stupidest thing i could possibly do.
"I will never be ready! I cant and wont do it without him! If he doesnt come back right now i would rather die!"
There was a horrible screeching sound, and even still I cant figure out if it really was coming from behind me, or was the sound of this ghosts scream. Either way the ending was the same....

Express Norfolk Newsletter!! Where we give you the real deal!!

Jennifer Grington died in a horrible freak accident while hit and blew up by a rouge firework.
The firework, which was meant to be a flag in honor of the work that all of our Military do and our support for them being gone, was just about to go off when the pole holding it in place bent out of place and shot straight through the crowd.
Though a sad accident for the recently married Jennifer, she did in fact save a life. Her husband, who had just come back on deployment as a surprise for her was walking towards her just a few meters behind, this Navy man would have surely been hit if his wife had not unknowingly protected him.
Its a sad twist of fate folks, but I'm sure being a military wife she would have done it of her free will. Thats what those military women do, they protect the home front, no matter what.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not sure why this popped into my head one day. Except the fact my husband was a sailor....and I had to spend a 4th of July alone..... and I was pretty unruly with the whole ordeal...

Never mind maybe I do know where it popped up from, but thats okay! Because I'm not dead!!
At least I THINK so....

Do I feel cold to you?

Happy Friday the 13th Everyone! :D