Status: New. Yay or Nay?

The Last Salute.

Leaving Home.

Robert takes pride as he carefully folds his spare camouflage clothes into his large duffle bag. Once he's packed, he sits on the bed sinking into the soft mattress. He leans down to tie up his shoes.

Karly walks into the bedroom, tears brimming her eyes as she watches her husband. He notices her presence and softens at her delicate form. He pushes himself off the bed and walks over to her, arms immediately pulling her into a tight embrace.

"I love you, Karly," he says, his voice shaking from having to leave her.

"Please don't go," she whispers into his auburn hair.

He pulls away but kept his arms on her shoulders and looks into her glossy emerald eyes. Robert thinks she's so beautiful and he leans down, pressing his lips to hers passionately. The blood rushes south and his heart pounds, he swiftly lifts her up - her legs wrapping around his waist - and pushes her up against the pale wall.

The couple's love for each other is strong and obvious. He pulls away, panting and nuzzles into the crook of her neck, smelling her sweet perfume. He's going to miss her so much. Miss her smell, touch, smile, voice. Miss her body against his. Miss making love. His heart breaks quietly as she sobs, her fragile body heaving up and down with the pain of her husband leaving her.

"Baby," he coos, pulling away and pressing her head against his chest.

"Robert, please don't leave me," she sobs, "I love you. Don't leave."

His heart breaks as her pleading voice, but he can't say anything and she can only beg without a hope that he'll stay. They both know that Robert has to go. He sighs and presses a lingering kiss to her forehead as her sniffles die down.

Her legs unwrap from his waist and he gently lets her down. She stands with her head hung and he turns from her to throw his duffle bag over his shoulder. He turns to face his wife and she turns, walking down the hallway with him following her. Both were silent.

They at the front door, fly wire protecting the house from outside nature and letting a cool air breeze through. Robert dropped his bag onto the linoleum, drops to his knees and wraps an arm around his wife's backside, pulling her stomach into his face.

He pecks her protruding stomach, "Little baby, tell your mumma that I'll be home soon. You be good and treat her nicely. I love you."

Karly's swollen and bloodshot eyes fill up with happy tears. Her husband smiles, halfheartedly up at her and she returns it. He stands up to his feet and captures her lips with his into a long, lingering kiss. A horn beeps and the two break away. He takes her into his arms again and she holds onto his uniform tightly.

"I love you, Karly," he says, "I'll be home as soon as you know it. I promise."

She sniffs, "I'm going to miss you, Rob."

He chuckles, pulling away with his arms around her waist, "Me too. So very much."

Her eyes sparkle as she looks up at him, "I love you."

He smiles and kisses her once more before picking up his duffle bag and walking out the door. He greets his fellow Marine who is also leaving his long-term girlfriend at home. As they drive away to the airport, he turns his head and looks out the window.

His wife blows a kiss and waves and Robert pretends to catch it and brings his fist to his heart. She breaks again once she goes inside and shuts the door behind her. Her heart is broken. His heart is broken.

"Soon, Karly," he whispers, eyeing his home, "soon."
♠ ♠ ♠
So yeah. New story.