Other Half

November 12, 1995

Lydia Dante is five years old and she already knows three boys named Jason. She goes to school and asks them what their wrists say; none of them say Lydia. The name on her skin is big, all the letters the same size. It barely fits on her tiny wrist.

Lydia’s older sister likes to tell her all about her own soul mate. Claudia’s already met hers, at seven years old, and the girl’s name is Samantha. Claudia teases her when their mother’s not around, telling stories about her and Samantha’s future wedding.

On the weekends when Samantha comes over to play, Claudia and Samantha are always the mommies when the play house. Lydia pouts and cries one day and runs off to find her mother. She sits on the kitchen floor, arms crossed, still crying when her mother kneels down next to her.

“It’s not fair!” Lydia exclaims. “Why does Claudia get to know Samantha? I wanna know Jason!”

“Sweetheart,” her mother says. “Some people get to know their soul mate early. But some people have to wait longer.”

Lydia frowns.

“It’s a good thing you haven’t met Jason yet. You know why?”

Lydia shakes her head.

“Because when you meet Jason, it’ll feel like Christmas morning, when you’re so excited for the presents you waited for. And you like Christmas morning, right?”

Lydia nods and a few minutes later, she goes back outside to play with Claudia and Samantha. She doesn’t pout too much this time, when they still both want to be the mommies.

♥ ♥