Other Half

2007

Trevor spends most nights looking at his wrist and wondering about Charlie Ray. He wonders where the kid lives, if he really is six years younger than him, and if he lives in one of those states where gay marriage is legal, but still looked down upon.

Trevor hopes he doesn’t live in one of those states.

His mother tries to assure him not to worry. She doesn’t tell him that as long as there isn’t a black line through Charlie Ray’s name, that he’s fine. She doesn’t want him to worry about the technicalities of being alive, but not conscious.

Trevor’s only sixteen, but he wishes he was eighteen to sign up for the online sites that claim they help unite soul mates. He’s not sure it would work, since he’s almost positive Charlie Ray’s younger than him.

He’s tired of waiting.

Jessica’s finally able to hang out with her soul mate alone, even though he’s twenty and she’s not an adult yet. Lydia hasn’t found her soul mate either, but Trevor knows that after high school she’ll be traveling the country before college. Lydia’s hesitant about saying she’ll meet her soul mate during that time, but Trevor figures she has to.

He feels like he’s not making any progress in finding his soul mate. He needs to find him, but all the Charlies he’s met have been Charleses and none of them had two first names. He’s falling behind, he feels, because even his parents had met at sixteen. (No matter that both his mother and father were from the same small town.)

Trevor looks at the name on his wrist and tries to calm down. He’ll meet Charlie Ray.

♥ ♥