Her Feet in His Skates

Chapter 2

When I walk into my house after parting from Third and Kendall on the subway, I don't make it ten feet before Jordan tackles me.

"Missed you guys too," he helps me up and then then is immediately yelling and screaming for food. I really question who the older one is.

I walk from the front foyer to the right and into the kitchen, and see the rest of the boys. I greet them and they smile widely at me in response. Jordan and I always were the closest, even though he's the oldest of the triplets.

Just as I sit down on one of the bar stools in front of the island (more of a peninsula since it's attached to one wall) in the kitchen, my dad gets home and is greeted with a bear hug from each of the boys. They immediately go down into the basement after Dad says hi to me to catch up and talk about anything and everything to do with hockey and Dad's work.

See, my dad, Brandon Saad- a former Chicago Blackhawk- retired as a member of the New York Rangers. After he retired, though, Chicago needed a head coach, and since my dad was so familiar with even the newest players and loved the city so much, he was immediately interviewed and sooner rather than later, hired.

All the boys had been drafted immediately at the age of 18, Adam by the Minnesota Wild, Jor by the Boston Bruins, Mark and Drew by the Carolina Hurricanes and Eric by the Blackhawks. However, Eric and Mark are still playing in their organizations' AHL team in the minor league.

My dad and I live half an hour outside of the city, with the occasional visit from Eric who lives in Rockford in his condo with his girlfriend a floor above him.

We're not quite in the city, but we're also not quite in the suburbs.

It's really rare that all five boys are here, so I let my dad have his masculine fun with them while he has the time.

I call down to the boys, telling them that I'm going to see Kendall. They yell their goodbyes, telling me to be back soon enough so they have time to bug me.

Kendall lives in Brampton, twenty minutes away if I take the subway. Once I get off the train, I'm immediately nervous at the proximity of the Brampton Bears' ice rink to the train stop, especially since Carter doesn't live in Brampton, and he has to take the same train I just did to get home.

I walk with my head down, trying to avoid any eye contact with anyone. Only, that plan backfires and I run straight into someone. And of course, when I look up, just my luck: it's Carter. He stares at me for a second, half a smile on his lips. I quickly apologize, knowing how easily he can suck me into his façade.

"Not gonna even say hi?" He calls after me. I freeze for a split second, then find the courage to turn around, walk a few feet closer, and give him a two fingered salute before sprinting out of there to avoid anymore contact with him.