Status: Updated sporadically

I Hate When They Call Me Snow White

So Small

I felt the wind blowing my hair around my face. I needed to break out of this passing out habit.

Slowly, as I felt incredibly weak, I attempted to lift myself up. The cloak laid on top of me began to slip down. As it did the moments before then rapidly played through my mind. The pond. The poison. The pain. The protector. Blaine.

I caught the cloak just as it slipped down my chest with a squeak. As I darted a glance down to make sure all of my...commodities were covered, I saw that I was dressed.

At least partly. I was wearing the white, long-sleeve shirt I had been wearing, but no corset underneath it. I quickly reached down and found that I was also wearing my trousers. Who had dressed me?

“Ahem.”

I looked up and saw Blaine sitting on a log a few feet away from me. His face was creased and his eyes weary.

I blushed slightly with realization. I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear and sat up all of the way, keeping the cloak wrapped tightly around my chest. I was wearing a shirt, but it was white and relatively thin.

I glanced up at him again, trying to stifle the mortifying humiliation I felt.

“Thank you,” I said, “for saving me and for...you know,” I awkwardly motioned to my body.

I wanted to smack myself.

“You’re welcome,” Blaine said, his voice careful.

I pursed my lips and started to nod my head. I was looking everywhere but him and trying desperately to appear casual.

“How long have I been asleep?” I asked.

“A few hours,” he grimaced slightly.

“A few hours,” I exclaimed, shocked at the time that had passed.

“About five,” he said.

“Five,” I parroted, while my voice cracked.

He nodded, and again the awkward silence settled around us.

“We have to move,” he said suddenly, while standing.

I nodded. I tried to get up slowly. I was happy that Blaine didn’t try to help me. I was already embarrassed enough. I wasn’t used to feeling so...small.

I saw my corset on the ground next to me and I quickly walked behind the tree to put it on. As I finished lacing it up, I turned to find Blaine’s back to me.

“I can’t imagine why I wasn’t able to get to the surface,” I said, not looking at him, “I swim rather well.”

“The venom increases pain receptors to the brain. Although the serpent bit you on the ankle, mentally the pain was all over,” he said.

I looked at him sharply.

“A serpent bite with psychological effects?” I said disbelievingly.

He gave a crooked smile.

“Unbelievable,” I muttered, as I went to find my shoes.

“They’re over here,” Blaine called out, a he held my shoes out to me.

I carefully walked over to him and took the shoes.

“They look small,” Blaine commented as began to tug them on.

“It was all the dwarves had,” I said simply, “Beggars can’t be choosers.”

“Is that what you were?” He said quietly, “A beggar?”

I paused after the left boot. While holding the right boot in my hand, I looked up to find his heated gaze focused on me. Maybe I was imagining it, but he looked...angry?

“No, I was very fortunate,” I said sincerely, “I met the dwarves early on and they took me in.”

He raised his stupid eyebrow again.

“Yes, that’s also strange. Dwarves aren’t known for their hospitable natures,” he said skeptically.

I wasn’t particularly interested in explaining that they had initially knocked me out and took about two hours to decided whether or not to let me stay.

“I won them over,” I said casually.

“Oh, I’m sure,” Blaine said with laughter in his voice.

I glared at him before I turned to pull on the other boot.

I rotated my ankle quickly, assessing how much damage there was. Besides a slight twinge, there was nothing more. I inspected the area, only finding a small purplish mark on the outside of my ankle where I had been bitten.

“I’m afraid that mark might be permanent,” Blaine said regretfully.

I shrugged my shoulders.

“I’ve had worse,” I said before blushing slightly.

He probably saw all the strange marks and scars that littered my body. Most of them had healed since my time with the dwarves, but I knew some would remain for the rest of my life. I wasn’t embarrassed by the marks. I had made peace with them long ago. I was just slightly irritated that he had seen them.

He seemed to read my train of thought.

“I didn’t see anything,” he said quietly.

I didn’t look up as I tugged my boot on.

“Okay,” I said simply.

“I just thought you would get sick without clothes, but I didn’t look,” he insisted before continuing, “I had no reason. I wouldn’t have even wanted to.”

I turned and held up my hand. His voice became very quick at this confession and I felt my cheeks heat up, but this time in anger.

“I’ve got it,” I said, my voice strained with angry embarrassment.

Before he could respond, I threw his cloak at him and began to march off.

“We had better get a move on,” I muttered, as I passed him.

I heard him follow behind me. We walked in silence for a long time before either of us spoke.

“How long did you live with the Queen?” He asked.

“I met Annis when I was fourteen,” I said stoically.

“That’s when your father became ill,” he said.

I grinded my teeth slightly.

“He became ill after he married,” I said, “For a year, I watched him deteriorate before my eyes until he…” I swallowed as my throat became thick, “He left.”

I realized how broken I sounded. The truth was I felt a bit broken when I spoke of my father.

“Do you think he’s alive?” Blaine probed.

I felt something ignite within me and I turned around quickly. This time it was he who had to stop suddenly to keep from running into me.

Nobody had ever asked me if I thought my father was still alive. I knew he was gone from me, but did I ever think of him being gone to the world? Something ugly unfurled inside of me.

“I don’t know if he’s alive,” I said, my voice suddenly became louder and untamed, “I can’t imagine a universe where my father was alive and he would not come back to me. He wouldn’t have left me, if he was. I hope he’s not alive because I don’t think I could bear the thought of him living while I suffered, waiting for him all those years while she tortured me.”

My chest was heaving as I finished. I was mortified as a few tears slowly slid down my face, but I refused to wipe at them.

I stared at the Huntsman now with my chin raised and my eyes fierce.

I couldn’t quite believe the words that flew out of my mouth. I couldn't believe that they actually came from my mind. They came out before I could sensor them. I had always loved my father. It was his memory that kept me alive and strong throughout the years. It was his voice I heard when I felt fear, telling me that I was brave enough. But I had never wanted to give thought to the idea of him being alive and choosing to leave me with Annis. I thought of all the nights I silently wept as I tugged at the rusted chains that kept me captive.

Some princess I turned out to be.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've realized that I don't have a particular schedule when it comes to uploading. I try to upload once a week, but the days aren't consistent. What days would you guys prefer? I was thinking Tuesdays would be a good day.
Anyways, I'm having a lot of fun with this story. I've figured a lot of the major details and the general story line, and I'm not trying to toot my own horn...but it's pretty awesome. Let me know what you guys think of Arabella's angry confession. And what about Blaine's behavior? And what about Blaine's name? Yes, I might have named him after Molly Ringwald's love interest in Pretty in Pink, but it seemed more fitting than Ducky. You know?
Drop a comment. I love hearing from you guys! xxxx