Status: Updated sporadically

I Hate When They Call Me Snow White

The Sounds That Guide Me

I felt something soft brushing against my legs. I groaned quietly and turned to lay on my stomach, only to be met with something hard sticking into my side.

I suddenly remembered where I was. I had escaped. Successfully.

I spent the whole night running and falling through the forest. I remember looking back in the moonlight and only being able to see the trees. No longer did the castle loom over me.

I let my senses roam as I smelled the greenery that surrounded me. I remember tripping (for the millionth time) and deciding to just rest in that spot for the night. I could now feel the wet leaves and dirt beneath me, permeating my cloak and dress. I didn't care too much. I had lived the last three years in some state of uncomfortable. I didn't quite feel like opening my eyes yet.

The soft thing against my legs began to...move.

I sprang awake, shouting all the while. The soft thing was a giant skunk, who currently looked incredibly irritated that his slumber had been disturbed.

I froze briefly, locked in a staring contest with the animal. I started to make small steps backwards, trying to make as little sound as possible.

Big mistake on my part.

With my heart beating a thousand miles an hour and my head suddenly dizzy, of course I tripped and fell back. As this happened, my legs knocked debris and dirt directly into the skunks face, which he did not enjoy. Dread spread through me.

I looked up just in time for the furry beast to raise his tail and emit the worst smelling gas I'd bet any human has ever had the misfortune of inhaling.

My eyes began to water profusely. My mouth went dry and my nose began to run. I started to crawl away because it was all I could manage. I moved as quickly as possible while trying to swallow the bile that was rising up my throat.

Damn woodland creatures.

I finally got a sufficient distance away from my foul nemesis before getting up on my knees. I couldn't see past the tears in my eyes and I felt my stomach churning violently. I begged my body to calm down, but it was no use.

I turned my head to the side and emptied the little contents of my stomach.

I held still for a moment afterwards with my eyes shut tight. I tried to regulate my breathing as my stomach tried to continue to relieve itself and for the first time I was thankful for how little my stomach was filled.

I stood up. I felt incredibly weak. I dug around my satchel for water. In my haste, I tilted the pouch back too far and the contents flooded out. Satisfying my thirst and wetting my entire face and neck.

I just wasted my entire water supply. I stared into the once full pouch. The ludicrousness of my situation was finally starting to sink in. I was in the woods, with no water, little food, and absolutely no concrete plan.

I started pacing frantically, as if I could actually confuse the panic with my sporadically changing directions so it couldn't latch on to me.

I sat on a nearby rock that was lodged next to a large tree. I wanted to lay back down, but I knew that I had to move on, now more than ever. It was a little after dawn, and I'm sure the Queen has already been alerted of my escape. I ate a small morsel of bread and looked around.

In the daylight, the woods didn't offer anymore direction than the night. Instead of black and shadows, it was an unidentifiable mass of green and brown. I remember what my father told me once about hunting.

"When searching for something, Bella, stimulate one sense. It strengthens it. The hardest part is silencing the rest of your being."

I couldn't rely on sight. I didn't know much about forest smells. I closed my eyes and listened carefully. At first, I heard nothing. I kept quiet though. Focusing on my breathing and allowing my ears to concentrate. I'm not sure how long I sat there before I heard the cracking of twigs below, and the gentle breeze ruffling the leaves above, and then...

Maybe I was hallucinating, but I could definitely hear the faint sounds of...running water. Logically it seemed a bit soon for hallucinations, and I had no other leads. So I began walking towards the whispering sounds of my supposed salvation.
--

I had been hiking for most of the day now. The sun was getting ready to set. I was sweating profusely and the slight breeze didn't provide much a reprieve. My feet were swollen from wearing shoes that were too small and my knees hurt because I had fallen a few times.

The only thing that kept me moving was increasing volume of running water. I lost track of the sound a few times, which led to me backtracking and rerouting a few times. I allowed the sound to fill my body and senses to provide me the strength to keep moving forward.

I licked my cracking lips, already tasting the sweet relief of water. I could feel my underused muscles and bones protesting with every step, but I ignored it. I'd die without water, and I wasn't going to go down like that. Not after everything.

I continued my way through the forest when suddenly the sound of moving water got loud and I could begin to smell the distinct perfume of wetland.

I broke out into a run. My desperation fueling my limbs with the power they needed. I fought my way through some low branches and was greeted with the most beautiful sight of a magnificent river. A sob of relief broke through my lips. An embarrassing sound I was thankful no one could witness.

I fell to my knees in front of the edge of the river and scooped up giant handfuls.

I relief was an excruciating ecstasy. I could feel the sweet coolness calm my dry throat.

No sooner was I relishing in the joy when something blunt suddenly hit the back of my head hard and everything went black...
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this in the library parking lot. I know it's a bit boring, but don't worry! We'll meet some fun guys in the next chapter. :) Drop a comment xoxo