Status: In progress!

Home Is in Your Arms

Break Stuff

"...And so you see, Mr. Tisson--"

"Oh please sweetie, call me Sylus."

"Sylus, of course." I smile and laugh pleasantly at the man before me.

The majority of my day has been spent trying to convince high-standing members of the Capitol to sponsor Peeta and Katniss. Of course, the only bit of them these people have seen so far was their fiery debut, so it's a difficult task to accomplish. However, a few of these people have been quite promising and swore to keep in touch.

Sylus Tisson is an older gentleman, in his mid-fifties, who owns multiple dance clubs in the Capitol; one of which is the most popular party spot in all of Panem. Needless to say, he's got some money.

"Well, Sylus, regardless of where my tributes come from, I assure you that you wouldn't be disappointed." I say, then take a sip of the peach raspberry tea in front of me.

"You make valid points, my dear, but aside from you, District Twelve hasn't had a victor in twenty-one years." Mr. Tisson says apprehensively.

"Yes, but nobody thought I would make it. And here I am!" I say, holding my arms out for emphasis.

"Indeed. Here you are." Mr. Tisson says. He looks me over, his eyes resting on my chest. A hand touches my thigh from under the table.

Sylus isn't entirely unattractive. For an older man, he carries himself well. Plus all of his money could pay for more than just a few surgeries. He's got deep crimson hair in some kind of spiked style, skin the color of caramel, pointed ears, and tattoos peeking out from his shirt collar. To be honest, he's trying too hard to be young. That and the simple fact that he's from the Capitol completely turn me, personally, off to him.

Gently clearing my throat, I uncross my legs and Mr. Tisson's hand falls away. I stand from my seat and smooth my dress.

"Well Mr. Tisson, unfortunately I must be going. It's getting late and I'm sure our dinner will be served soon." I say.

"So soon?" the man asks me with a pout.

"Effie Trinket will be highly upset with me if I don't return in time." I reply. Mr. Tisson nods in understanding. Anyone who knows of Effie knows how she is.

Before I go, I lean down to Mr. Tisson's ear, pressing my chest against his shoulder. In a smooth, sexy voice I whisper,

"Please think about it. I look forward to doing business with you, Sylus." Then I turn and leave, feeling the disgusting man's eyes burning holes into my butt.

Normally I don't use this... method to gain sponsors for my tributes, but I work on what my acquaintances are most interested in. In Sylus Tisson's case, he's most interested in me. He's a nasty man, but if I want Peeta to come home, I'll do what I have to.

Peeta. I wonder how he's feeling right now. Surely he'll be confused about my icy departure. I also wonder what he thinks of my outburst with Haymitch. He'll probably think I'm insane and won't want to talk to me anymore. At this moment I'm not sure if that's a bad thing. He said he wants to make something more out of us, but he keeps making overly friendly hints to Katniss. It she lives, I don't think I'll ever be friends with her.

The elevator doors open and I step out to see Effie and Peeta watching tv, Katniss looking out the window over the city, and Haymitch is, as usual, nowhere to be seen.

"Good evening!" I say pleasantly to Effie as I approach the back of the couch.

"Good evening, Freya!" she greets back. "Where have you been all day?"

"Speaking with potential sponsors." I feel Peeta's eyes on me but I don't acknowledge him.

"Lovely! How did it go? Who did you talk to?" Effie asks.

"Ms. Trinity Vermouth, Mr. Roth Fordonikko, Mr. Cerberus Belonzi, Miss Alesana Pearlman, and Mr. Sylus Tisson." I reply as I remove the heels I was wearing. I hold them in my hands, preparing to go to my bedroom.

"You met with Sylus?!" Effie exclaims. "Alone?! Freya, what were you thinking?"

Katniss looks over and Peeta keeps adverting his gaze between me and Effie.

"What's wrong with him?" he asks.

"Sylus Tisson is known for... Taking advantage of young women." Effie replies uncomfortably. "Although it's never been openly stated by anyone of importance, everyone knows. He's a disgusting man."

Peeta's staring hard at me, I can see it from the corner of my eye, but I keep my eyes on the television, my expression steely. He doesn't like what I did but I don't care.

"Don't worry, Effie." I reassure the frantic woman. "We were in public and I didn't stay for long."

"It doesn't matter!" Effie retorts. "You know what he's--"

"I'm aware." I cut in, directing my eyes to her. "I am aware of what he's capable of. But I also know what he likes. Which is why I saw him. I'm home now. That's all that matters."

With that being said, I stomp off to my room. I throw my shoes into my closet and the heels actually put a small hole in the wall. I don't care; this place holds no value to me anyway.

After quickly changing into my outfit from last night I wash my face and head up to the roof of the building.

Leaning against the edge, but not too close to the invisible barrier, I look out at the setting sun. The oranges and purples make even the colors of the Capitol seem dull in comparison. Closing my eyes, I imagine I'm home on this balmy summer night, letting the breeze rustle softly through my hair. I can almost believe I'm there, if I ignore the sounds coming from the streets below. Someone comes up to the roof, but I don't turn around. There's nobody that I'm really interested in talking to right now.

It's quiet for a while, and the familiar smell of summer rain and Capitol cologne fills my nostrils. I know he's behind me, but I don't move, unsure of whether I'll slap him or kiss him if I do. At the moment I'm leaning towards the former, but I know it's not the best idea.

"What was all that about?" he finally asks.

"All what, Peeta?" I bitterly question back. He sighs in exasperation.

"Everything that happened today." he says. "You and Haymitch practically almost killing each other, you storming out, and you biting Effie's head off because she was concerned about you."

"Effie wasn't concerned about me." is all I say.

"Yes she was!" Peeta nearly yells. He groans frustratedly and wipes his hands down his face. "That's not the point, Freya. What's wrong? What's going on?"

"You really don't know, do you?" I ask, looking over my shoulder at the boy. A sour laugh escapes my throat and I shake my head, turning my gaze back to the city.

"No, I don't! So stop toying with me and just tell me!" he exclaims.

"Toying with you?!" I shout, truly shocked. I fully turn to Peeta and advance on him. "How about you stop toying with me!" His eyebrow raises in confusion and his mouth gapes open a little. "What do you have going on in your head?! You tell me I'm beautiful, you tell me you want to be with me. That you'll fight in that arena so you can come home to me!" My voice starts to tremble. "But at the same time you're holding hands with Katniss, letting her kiss you on the cheek, and giving everyone some cryptic message about how she has no idea about the effect she can have. Tell me, Peeta. What exactly is the effect she can have?"

Silent tears spill down my flushed cheeks. My face and ears are hot from anger. I stare hard at Peeta, searching his eyes for an answer. His expression suddenly softens and he reaches out to touch my cheek.

"Freya, I--"

"Don't touch me!" I growl as I jerk away. He pulls his hand back and slumps down. Peeta looks genuinely hurt, and for a split second I feel bad. The guilt is quickly gone though.

"You're giving me mixed signals, Peeta. I don't know how you expect me to react to what you're doing, but surely you know I wouldn't be happy about it." I wipe the tears away violently and sniffle. Why do I have to cry in front of him and look weak?!

"I... I don't know what to say..." Peeta mumbles. His brows are knitted together in frustration and dejection. For some reason him not knowing what to say sets me off.

"You know what, Peeta? I'm done." I shout. "Forget it. This is stupid. It's obvious that Katniss is more important."

My blood is boiling in my veins; I can feel my blood pressure rising by the second. Peeta's face drops.

"But Freya--"

"No! Shut up!" I scream. My voice is shrill and shaky. I'm about to lose it. I need to get out of here. "Just stop, Peeta! Leave me alone and go to Katniss. Having feelings towards a tribute was a horrible idea anyway. I'll teach the two of you how to stay alive in the arena, but that's it."

I shove past him and go to the stairs. Before I descend, I turn around.

"Oh," I spit. "And your little Girl On Fire better hope she doesn't come out of that arena alive. Because if she does, I'll wrap my whip around her skinny little neck so tightly that her head will pop off."

Stunned into silence, Peeta stares at me, eyes wide from shock and fear. Without another word I turn and stomp down the stairs, making a point to slam every door behind me. I'm on a rampage and nothing can stop me.

My bedroom door slams so hard that it nearly falls off its hinges. Grabbing the first thing I see, which happens to be a crystal vase, I throw it across the room. The decoration shatters into a million pieces on impact, glittering an array of reflective colors on the floor. Next is a lamp, then a candle, then the remote that controls the electronics in the room. Just as a crystal bowl is about to meet an untimely end, my door bursts open.

"Freya! What is going on in here?!"

I turn to see Effie standing just over the threshold, looking utterly mortified over the state of my once pristine, and expensive, bedroom. Seeing her there makes me snap back to reality, realizing what just happened. My face contorts into an ugly expression and suddenly I choke out a sob.

"Oh, dear, what happened?" Effie asks. She rushes over to my side and pulls me into her arms.

The tears flow like waterfalls as Effie holds me against her, cooing soft words into my hair.

Unknown to neither myself nor Effie, Peeta had come to stand in the doorway behind us.
♠ ♠ ♠
OH. MY. GOD.
I am SO sorry I disappeared! To make an extremely long story short, I have been insanely busy since Thanksgiving. I kept kicking myself in the butt to post but never had time to just sit down and write. But here is chapter six! I hope you guys can forgive me.

Thank you so much to everyone who is reading and subscribing! I can't believe the attention this story is getting. It totally makes me excited to write more.

The title of the chapter is "Break Stuff" by Limp Bizkit.