Follow The Raven

Who Created The Word 'Fair'?

"Finally," I sighed as I crawled into bed. The elves have taken excellent care of me so far. Some nurses cleaned up the cuts on my neck and healed them completely, as well as took care of all the various scrapes I had from the killer trees (elven medicine is impressive, let me tell you). I was fed! with absolutely awesome food. And, I finally got to take a bath in warm water. Now that the tummy is full, I'm not bleeding to death, and I'm nice and clean, all that's left to be done now is sleep!

I curled up underneath the covers, feeling the awesome awesomeness of comforters, a double mattress, and a nice feathered pillow. Damian and Remy were basically forced to dine with Bacco and his relatives; the only reason I got out of it was because of my neck. I'm almost happy it happened, almost only because I am just too tired. How tired am I? I'm so tired, I'm amazed that I'm still awake, but I assure you that that won't be for long.

*KNOCK**KNOCK**KNOCK*

"Not. Happening," I groaned, curling up into a ball deeper under the covers, hoping that if I can't see the door, the person keeping me awake will just leave. Didn't happen.

"Open the door, Lara," I heard Damian order, and judging by the tone in his voice, the dinner did not go very well, not for him at least.

"No one's here, come back tomorrow," I called through the covers. There is no way I am getting back up.

"We both know that one's not going to work," he stated in an irritated tone. I can already see him crossing his arms and glaring at the door.

"It's open," I grumbled, somehow getting deeper under the covers.

"No, it's not. That's why I need you to open the door," he called back, making me groan. Did I lock the door? You see that, I'm so tired I don't even realize myself locking the door. I sighed, mumbling a string of curses as I pushed the covers off of me and hopped out of bed, only to get my foot caught on the top cover and falling flat on my face, another string of curses coming out as I stood up.

"Did you just trip?" Damian inquired mockingly as I opened the door to see him standing there in one of those male elf ensembles. Uh, that really doesn't look right on him.

"How was the dinner?" I asked, as Damian just made himself at home, falling flat on the bed, Remy (also in one of those get-ups) sitting down in the armchair near the window.

"How well do you think a dinner between elves and vampires went?" He asked.

"You didn't say anything stupid did you?" I asked quickly. An intelligent thing to do would be not insulting the people who took us in for the night.

"No, it was just incredibly awkward," Remy said, looking weirdly at my pajamas. They offered me a nightgown, but I prefer my pajamas, my pink pajama pants and my black tank top with sheep all over them. Sheepys...

"You look much better Lara," Remy mentioned after silence fell on the room.

"I would feel better too, if I were allowed to sleep," I said, poking Damian in the ribs to make him move.

"Stop poking me before I make you," Damian seethed with his arm over his eyes.

"Then move over at least," I said, continuing to poke him until he lazily rolled over. I crawled back into bed, hoping by some miracle I'll actually get to sleep this century.

"Aren't you going to sleep, Remy?" I asked, noticing that he was just sitting there starring off into nothingness, most probably in thought.

"Yes, that's a good idea, I'll see you in the morning. Have a good night," Remy said, coming out of his own little world, and standing up to walk out.

"What's wrong with him?" I asked a little worried. Remy is never so cold, even when I first met him back on the ship.

"Beats me, elves aren't the best company in the world," Damian mumbled in response.

"Do you even care?" I asked, turning my head to look at him. He stared straight at the ceiling, almost in contemplation.

"No, not really," he said a few minutes later.

"Of course you don't," I said turning my head back.

"Just being honest," he said shrugging while standing up and going to sit in the chair Remy occupied.

"You're going to say something," I stated as yet another silence fell upon the room. Okay, did I miss something? Is there something I don't know?

"Aren't you supposed to be sleeping? Haven't you been complaining that you need sleep or something?" He asked, lazily turning his head to face me.

"You two are being weird, and I want to know why," I said facing him.

"How are we being weird? Well, the kid's always being weird, how am I being weird?" He asked not moving.

"I don't know, I feel like something happened and you don't want to tell me," I replied shrugging.

"Nothing for you to worry about, just go to sleep," he replied turning away.

"So something did happen," I stated, a slight smirk forming on my face. I knew it.

"I never said that," he shot back.

"You insinuated it," I replied, covering my smirk with my wrist as he glared at me.

"If you don't get some sleep now, you certainly won't get it for awhile. We leave tomorrow morning," he said, dismissing our previous conversation argument.

"Why don't you answer any of my questions?" I asked, feeling in the mood to bring it up, again, making him roll his head back and groan.

"Because, sweetheart, I enjoy keeping you in the dark, lowers the chance of revolt," Damian said smirking as he called me sweetheart again.

"Don't call me sweetheart," I hissed glaring at him.

"Both of you, just knock it off!" Remy shouted from the next room, keeping Damian from saying anything.

"You're so mean," I sighed a couple minutes later, my head dropping back down.

"Somehow I manage," he replied, a fake smile on his face. I turned completely around to face the opposite wall. He's right in that if I want sleep, I better get it now before we're back in the wilderness.

"Wake up, Lara, it's time to get ready," Remy said lightly shaking me.

"Already?" I asked, trying to get out of my sleepy condition.

"You actually slept for most of the night," Remy said, starting to pack things up.

"Let her go back to sleep, we're not going anywhere," Damian said coming into the room.

"Why not?" I asked, sitting up. Not that I mind staying here and sleeping in a nice comfy bed, but wasn't he the one anxious to get out of here as fast as possible?

"Under His Highness' orders, you three are not allowed to leave the premises," an elf soldier declared following behind him.

"We're under house arrest?" I asked, making sure I heard correctly.

"If that is what you wish to call it," the soldier said nodding, and then turning to leave.

"What's happening?" I asked, once we made sure he was gone.

"Don't know, go back to sleep, I'll figure something out," Damian said looking out the window.

"You do know, why can't you tell me?" I asked, getting irritated at the fact that something is going on and I am basically being left completely in the dark.

"Because you don't need to know!" Damian declared.

"That's not fair! I have a right to know at least the basics!" I said, my voice getting louder.

"Well, I hate to break it to you, but life ain't fair," he said leaning back in the chair putting his feet up.

"This is death," I stated, looking at him from the crook of my elbow.

"Ah! Even better, since life ain't fair, death ain't fair either sweetheart," he said, stretching out the name he knows I don't enjoy.

"Okay, what are we going to do? We're stuck here now," Remy interrupted before either of us got the chance to say something else.