Follow The Raven

Because You Can't

~Damian's Point of View [Shocker, I know]~

I sat in the same armchair for a number of hours, just staring out that window trying to figure out what to do in a situation like this. We're on 'house arrest' as Lara put it, in the middle of an elven city, in the middle of a forest. Why, we don't really know. Under who's order, we have a pretty good idea, but you can never be too sure until the bastard is actually exposed.

So what do you do on this 'house arrest' thing? Lara, surprise, surprise, went back to sleep. Remy is off somewhere in the house. And I am pulling my hair out over what to do and how to get out of here. I thought back to the events of the previous night. Judging by the turn of events over the dinner, I should have seen something like this coming. The kid didn't help either, asking me those stupid questions, pissing me off even more before being forced to 'dine with the hosts.'

"Can I ask you a question?" The kid asked while we got dressed in those stupid get-ups that elves wear. It should be obvious to every creature in this world, no form of pale anything looks decent on a vampire! I look like an emo pixie!

"What, she rubbing off on you or something?" I asked sarcastically.

"No, but I want to get something straight," he said incredibly seriously.

"That's some serious tone you got there," I said looking at him to keep going.

"How hard was it?" He asked turning to look straight at me.

"How hard was what kid?" I asked, already not liking where this is going.

"How hard was it not to take a bite?" He asked, looking at me dead in the eye. The kid's got balls, I'll give him that.

"What gives you the idea that I wanted to 'take a bite'?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest.

"You're a vampire, with the care of the only living girl in this world, she was bleeding to death, you do the math," he said shrugging. I ignored him, going back to trying to tie that stupid tie thing.

"Answer the question," he demanded, surprising me that he could even bring up the courage. Wow, the kid actually does have a spine.

"Alright, yes, it was tempting, but no, it wasn't hard," I said, turning to look at him again, trying to steer away from this conversation.

"Why?" He asked, not about to let this go.

"Why what?" I retorted, trying to stall as long as possible for the 'guides' to come and retrieve us for the dinner.

"You know very well. Why did you even agree to do this? You two can barely go ten hours without arguing," he started.

"If you keep going, that might be us, but I'm not going to be as nice to you as I am to her," I threatened with a glare.

"Just answer the question!" He exclaimed, not dropping it. Just drop it! Why do you care so much?!?!

"Why do you care?!" I asked back, getting rather irritated at this point.

"Because I want to be sure that you aren't just taking her to her death or something!" He said, accusingly.

"Had I wanted her dead, boy, make no mistake, she already would be," I seethed, glaring at him, making him hesitate for a moment.

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything?" The blond priss, Bacco...Dacco...Pacco, something or other came in, far too much enthusiasm in his tone.

"Nothing at all," I said coldly. I don't want to be here right now. Is there any way to make it more obvious that I really don't want to be here right now?

"How is Lara?" Remy asked worriedly.

"She is being taken care of by our healers. By the time dinner is over, you'll find her right here fast asleep," he said reassuringly.


---

"So, what brings you to these parts?" The king, whose name we are obviously not worthy enough to know, asked breaking the deadly silence in the dining hall.

"Traveling," I stated, taking a bite out of this...what is this? Oh yeah, salad. We've been degraded to eating like rabbits now.

"Didn't I hear of a third companion?" The king asked his son.

"Yes, father. She's currently in the medical ward, she won't be joining us tonight," something-acco replied, somewhat slowly. What, is the father running a little slow or something?

"Hm, so why are you three 'traveling'?" Brigo (he pisses me off so much I can actually remember his name) asked, glaring at me.

"Just sight-seeing," I replied, glaring back. If only he could drop dead right there, face first into the salad. Ah, that would make for a great! dinner.

"Brigo, refrain yourself, we don't mean to intrude upon these peoples' personal business," the king scolded lightly, while chuckling or giggling or something. He should really consider retiring.

"We are housing them in our own home, Father, I think we have a right to know what they are doing on our lands," he retorted.

"If some of us were doing their jobs, we wouldn't be in debt to them for getting one of them injured," Bacco, I remember now!, replied, starting a glaring contest with his brother. Alright, this dinner is starting to get more and more entertaining. Now, if only we could get some real food than it would truly be decent.

---

"That was awkward," the kid whispered as we followed a guard back to our 'housing'.

"Yeah. But the part where the two brothers got into a fight was actually pretty entertaining, although it would've been better if they actually knew how to fight," I replied, smirking at the thought of it.

"You still haven't answered my question," he said as I slammed the door in that elf's face. Thank you for taking us this far, you can go do something useful now.

"And what question was that?" I asked, already getting irritated again as I pulled off those swirly-toed boots. Add the little bells, and I'll really feel like I'm a reject at Santa Claus' workshop.

"Why did you agree to do this?" He asked, rather loudly.

"Maybe another day," I said offhandedly going to the bedroom door only to find it locked. Great. She's brilliant only at the wrong moments.

I sat looking out the window, trying to come up with any idea to get out of this sticky situation. For some unknown reason, we are being detained against our wishes in an elven city. The place they gave us is probably surrounded by armed guards. Say we were to miraculously get past those, then we'd have to get through the archers on patrol throughout the higher levels of the trees. Somehow we miraculously dodge the onslaught of arrows, and we come upon the army since this just so happens to be the capital city for this region.

I doubt it's doable even with an army of your own in this situation.

I walked out of the bedroom and into the living room, the kid sitting on the little futon thing they put in the room with a smirk on his face. I stopped dead in my tracks at the sight of that. Dude, this kid is starting to disturb me, of all people.

"You're really starting to disturb me," I stated going over to the pitcher of water and taking a drink.

"I figured it out," he said, that smirk never faltering.

"You figured out a way to get out of here?" I asked, already knowing the answer. It would take a genius to come up with a plot to escape this place without getting caught again and being thrown into an actual dungeon.

"No, I figured out why you're doing this," he said, somewhat pleased with himself.

"Oh? Do tell, what have you figured?" I asked, taking up an overly polite tone.

"You said last night, that if you wanted her dead, she already would be, right?" He asked for verification, standing up and starting to pace.

"Yeah, what's your point?" I asked, sitting down on the couch.

"Well, that's a lie for starters," he said, his pacing never stopping.

"Oh? How so?" I asked, looking at him while putting my head in my hands. I've got a splitting headache right now, I really need some rest at this point.

"We all know that you would just love to kill her, you're tempted to all the time," he said, smirking more. Alright, I'll give him that.

"But you won't," he stated, finally stopping his pacing and crossing his arms.

"And why not do you figure?" I asked sarcastically, glaring at him.

"Because you can't," he stated, his freaky smirk turning into a smile. My face fell hard, as I continued to glare at him. Who knew the cabin boy/doctor/baggage-carrier was an observant little bastard? Crap.