Follow The Raven

Strategical Genius

"Everyone got it?" Damian asked for confirmation as the moment for escape quickly approached.

"It's not like its complicated, we're sneaking out of here. No theatrics, no complicated plots...I couldn't think of any on such short notice," I said, the last part being to myself.

"Look, we get caught, I doubt it's going to end pretty. They may look friendly, but they're really not," Damian warned as we looked around for anyone in the immediate area.

---

"Be quiet."

"But what about the-"

"Shut up!"

"But-"

"Shh!"

"But-"

"Hey! You three!" A guard yelled, the very guard I was trying to warn Damian about but he was too busy trying to be all 'stealth-like.' The plan has been going rather well, other than now of course. We got out of the flat without detection, got pretty far away from the center, and now we're trying to cross the bridge to the outer portion of the city. Naturally, there had to be a guard, taking the toll probably. And we were doing so well too...

"You couldn't have told me about the guard," Damian scowled after killing him, making me go flabbergasted.

"I tried to tell you," I stretched out following him down the winding staircase.

"Well why didn't you?" He asked angrily.

"You never gave me the chance!" I replied.

"Could we do this later? You know, get out of here before getting caught?" Remy asked from behind us, making both of us turn to look at him. Who died and made him peacemaker? Oh yeah, that job was kind of forced on him. My bad.

"How long till we're completely out of here?" I asked softly a few minutes later as we looked around for any elves.

"I'd say another ten minutes, we're making good time, if nothing else gets in our way we'll be home free," Damian responded.

"Well, what are we waiting for, let's get out of here," I said when it was obvious that no one is hiding in the bushes. Why the rush? Sure, this is a beautiful city, the hospitality is great, the food is appetizing, but there's just something way too off about this place. It's so organized, and uniform. It's scary.

"Careful, we're almost out, it's usually around here that the perfect escape plot is shattered," I said as we looked around the new area. Have you ever noticed that? As the prisoners are just a few short steps from freedom, the bad guys come and surround them and the whole thing goes awry? I've noticed that.

"You have an over-active imagination Lara," Remy said as we jogged across the trail and went into the trees. Wow. Operation Escape-Elf-Land actually worked. Even I doubted it, and I'm the one that came up with the plan.

"Well, probably for the first and last time, that imagination got us out of quite the tight fix," Damian said, readjusting the numerous swords he had strapped to his back.

"Who knew, that of all people, you would turn out to be a strategical genius?" Damian said absentmindedly.

"Appearances are deceiving," I said shrugging as we started walking further away from the city. Great. Back into the forest we go.

"You did good sweetheart," he said smirking as he petted me on the head, making me glare at him. You're calling me 'sweetheart' AND petting me on the head?!?! Alright, I'm six inches shorter than him, but still. Grrr.

"Don't call me sweetheart," I said, falling into place as we walked deeper single-filed.

"Are we ever going to get out of this forest?" I whined a while later.

"Don't know, are you ever going to start turning?" Damian asked back.

"Hey, I'm clueless about this whole thing," I said shrugging.

"That we've established," he said, making me glare at him lightly.

"Hey! Five minutes ago I was a strategical genius," I said, rubbing it in.

"Yeah, that was five minutes ago. You're back to being clueless," he replied smirking.

"Whatever," I brushed off as we reached a rather nasty part with a lot of fallen branches that I unfortunately have to get over.

---

"So, who showed a bit of mental ability and packed some food, because I certainly didn't," I said as we sat around the fire that night. Remy and Damian looked around at each other, realizing it too. In our moment of sheer escaping brilliance, we completely forgot to pack food. Smart.

"Let's hope we're headed in a good direction, maybe there's a village somewhere around here," Remy said sighing as he leaned against a tree.

"Doubt it, the elves would have seen to it that no one settled anywhere near them," Damian said, crushing our hopes of food in the tummy sometime this week.

"Great, so we're going to starve now?" I asked in exasperation, and possibly overly dramatized exaggeration.

"If we can't find anything edible in due time, then yes, we're going to starve," Damian said, shielding his eyes with his arm.

"Great," I muttered, conveniently having images and the aromas of deliciously delectable sweets, treats, and culinary feats. Enormous mounds of cream puffs, seven layer cakes, and rooms full of muffins, brownies, and cookies. Ahh, the glorious cookies...

"Stop thinking about food, Lara," Remy warned, playing with the fire.

"Am I drooling or something?" I said sitting up straight and wiping my mouth to see. Nope, no drool. Am I that obvious with my food-filled fantasies or something?

"You get a particular twinkle in your eye when you think about food, anything sweet in particular," Remy remarked, continuing to play with the fire, creating more embers to make it last longer.

"Are we ever going to see civilization again?" I asked dramatically, earning disturbed glances from both Damian and Remy.

"Are you always like this?" Damian asked, looking at me.

"Only in the mornings, at night, in the afternoons, when I've eaten, when I'm hungry, when I'm lacking on sleep...," I started, counting off the usual circumstances for my 'weirdness', to sum it up.

"Yeah, I'd say all the time," I said grinning after thinking it through, making him shake his head at me.

"No but seriously, are we ever going to get out of here? I mean, this is nice and all, the devious woodland elves, the killer trees, and random thugs lurking in the bushes, but I would like to see other stuff. Oh! What's Underworld Paris like, I wonder," I said, continuing on my string of rambles, making the guys groan. It's the mental ADD, I swear. That, and I'm hungry and tired, but I never fall asleep when I really need to.

"Shut up, before I make you," Damian hissed threateningly, getting ready to stand up and literally silence. I wouldn't put it past him at an hour like this.

"I'm sorry, but I really want to get out of here," I whined, making him growl.

"Not until you're completely dead," Damian sighed annoyed. I was about to start asking a string of questions. Since I came here alive, and I'm immediately making a jump into the supernatural, will I ever be truly dead? That's a good question.

"Don't even think about it," Damian seethed glaring at me, cutting me off from voicing that question. Fine, whatever. Leave me in my pit of unanswered cluelessness. It'll come back and bite him one day, I don't see why he puts off explaining things to me. It must be a vampire thing.