Follow The Raven

Across The Sea

Wow, I'm going to France! The dead and apparently much, much larger version of France, but it's still France! At least there's one bright side about this whole thing, I'm going to France.

And then there's the lesser bright side, Damian. Sure, he's basically going to be my only protection against this world, but he's pretty distant. He hasn't even looked at me since the carriage took off, much less spoken a word.

I still haven't gotten any of my questions answered. I'm still clueless. I mean, what's going on in this world? Damian was kind enough to mention that it had something to do with fallens. Okay, am I to assume that he's referring to fallen angels? I thought fallen angels were depressed, not terrorizing an entire world.

But what makes them so powerful? Why is the entire underworld shuttering at just the thought of them? What makes them so strong? Fallen angels are defined as angels that have committed a sin, and are thus tossed out of Heaven, loosing their mystical powers.

They do have powers right?

Whatever, all I know is that they got kicked out of Heaven...and that their supposed to be depressed.

"So, if this is the world of the dead, what are supernatural creatures doing here?" I asked out loud, as the carriage made its way through London.

"Look, I'm not your guide, I'm your babysitter. Pester someone else with your questions," Damian snapped, not even looking away from his window. Pfft, rude much?

"Wouldn't kill you to answer a question," I scoffed, only to find a dagger at the crook of my neck.

"Perhaps, but asking questions might kill you," he threatened, sitting back in his seat. I gulped, maybe curiosity really did kill the cat.

---

Neither of us spoke the rest of the way to the port. Even at this hour of the night, there was lots going on, sailors running around, ships coming in, ships going out, noisy bars, 'working' ladies, everything you can imagine in a 19th century seaport.

"Come on, stay close," Damian said, getting out first, then grabbing my hand and *cough*helping*cough* out of the carriage. He rushed me off onto a nice ship, runner ship by the looks of it, and practically stuffed me into a cabin. I miraculously got out of his grip and walked to the other side of the cabin.

"I'm not cargo, you know," I said, crossing my arms.

"Until you turn, I am going to rush you from one spot to the next to avoid having to get into brawls over live meat," he replied, lounging in a chair.

"Why did you agree to this?" I asked, sitting down in a chair as well. I'd be lounging to, but the corset will suffocate me if I don't sit straight. Damn the person that invented the corset.

"What did we say about questions?" He asked, looking around like the idea was literally floating around the room.

"You can't leave me clueless!" I exclaimed, astonished that the thought was even out there.

"I can leave you on the dock," he said, pointing outside the window. I glared at him.

"You wouldn't, then you wouldn't have a reason to go to France," I declared, jumping back when he hopped up. Okay, maybe he would.

"I don't need you to go to France, maybe I feel like going on holiday," he said.

"Do you speak French?" I asked.

"No," he stated, shocking me.

"You don't? But isn't Rocheburne French?" I asked, stumped at this new discovery.

"Yes, but that doesn't obligate me to speak French. Why, do you?" He sneered, crossing his arms.

"I do," I declared proudly. I don't mean to brag, but the ability to see historical events also gave me a strong grasp on languages. I can understand Greek and German, but I can't officially speak them, although I can probably learn if I'm exposed to the language. I'm obviously fluent in English, I'm fluent in French and Latin, so Spanish and Italian are between the 'fluent' and 'capable of learning if hearing it' categories.

"Okay, great, congratulations," he replied, rolling his eyes.

"Well what are you going to do in France if you can't speak the language?" I asked.

"Sight seeing, and what did we say about questions?" He accused, starting to wave his arms around.

"What do you have against questions?" I asked, completely going against him.

"Usually, nothing, but you look like the type to ask thousands of questions, so I honestly want to avoid it," he said, alliterating the last few words.

"What do I have here, a pair of five year olds?" An elderly man said, walking into the cabin and shutting the door after him.

"Are you the captain?" Damian asked, standing up abruptly.

"That's what they call me," he replied, walking around the large desk and sitting down.

"You must be the 'precious' cargo Sir Oliver mentioned," the captain said, pointing to Damian, earning an absolutely appalled look. Okay, this won't be too bad, this could be interesting.

"That is an excellent way of putting it, Captain," I complimented, making the Captain bow his head at me with a smile. Damian glared at me, not even bothering to say anything, he just growled at me.

"Now, we will be at sea for a minimum of two weeks, homicide is not an option," the captain stated, making me laugh. Good idea addressing that issue first thing.

"You must be Lara," the Captain said, standing up and walking over to kiss my hand.

"I am Captain Allen Dover," he introduced himself.

"Damian," he stated, not even looking up from the globe.

"Well, my dear, unfortunately I must restrict you from going on deck...coming out in general actually, but just until you are less alive, then you can go on deck. But until then, you are free to explore my books," the Captain explained. Two weeks in a cabin?!?! Well, at least I have books.

---

"Why are supernatural beings in this world?" I asked the Captain. Damian was off breathing fresh air while I'm stuck in doors. Captain Dover, however, is incredibly kind, because he has offered to answer any questions I might have.

In another ten minutes, he'll probably regret offering to answer my questions.

"The humans in the living world decided that Earth wasn't big enough for the vampires, and the werewolves, the faeries, the goblins, well you get the idea. According to humans, there wasn't enough room for all these creatures, so they cursed them to this world," he explained.

"Okay, but why are there still some supernatural creatures in the living world?" I asked, noting that there were still vampires and werewolves running around.

"Those are some stragglers, paid to stay in the living world or were turned by a straggler in that world," he explained, looking over some maps.

"Are the Gods in this world too?" I asked, thinking about the Gods that ruled Greek and Roman worlds.

"Yes, each culture that rejected their gods for Christianity, or Islam, or Judaism, those gods are now here, as insignificant as they were in the living world," he said, making a rather ambitious declaration. You'd think that a sailor in the underworld, would be as superstitious as a sailor in the living world. If Poseidon held no more sway in the living world, doesn't he have power over this world now? Given Captain Dover's opinion of the gods, I'll keep that question to my self.

"What's happening in this world?" I asked, continuing on my string of questions. From the look on his face, I could tell that this is a complicated topic, one that will probably take a while talking about.

"Well," he started, sitting back in his chair. Yeah, this'll be a long one.