Over

Phil

A light tapping on my bedroom door woke me up, my mother’s soft voice came from the other side of the thin wood.

“Phil, honey? The police are by the door, they want to see you…”

I dragged myself out of bed and pulled on some decent clothes before meeting the kind looking police officer waiting patiently outside my parent’s front door.

“Philip Lester?” she asked me, to which I nodded. “Could I come in, please? I have something I need to tell you and it may help to be sitting down…” I nodded again and left her follow me to the small living room in the centre of the house, we sat down on the sofa and I watched as she pulled a piece of paper out of her jacket pocket.

“Philip, someone you may know, Daniel Howell, committed suicide on Wednesday of last week. This was found with his body, it’s addressed to you…” she held the paper out in front of her and passed it to me, I took it from her and began reading.

‘Hi, Phil. It’s Dan, you probably already know that though… I know you said about the no communication thing but I guess this doesn’t count seen as the reason you’re reading this is because I’m dead… You probably don’t really care and I wouldn’t be surprised if you’ve moved on but I couldn’t take it anymore, the apartment had too many memories and it hurt like hell knowing you wasn’t coming back. I lasted seven months but seven months is too much. I’m sorry for what I did, Phil. I’ll never forgive myself. Please don’t miss me and don’t come looking for me either (you know what I mean by that). Just in case you wanted it, my diary is on my bed in the apartment. You left your galaxy jacket there too; it’s in your room… I love you, Phil.’

“Thank you, officer” I spoke quietly, tears forming in my eyes, threatening to fall at any minute. She nodded and smiled apologetically before standing up, brushing herself off. “I’m sorry for you loss, Philip” She said, then left.

My mum walked in shortly after looking very worried, tears were already streaming down my face and I didn’t bother to wipe them. “Is everything okay?” She asked. I shook my head slowing, unable to believe what I’d just read.

“Dan’s dead, mum” I croaked before falling into her arms in a heap of tears.