Titanium

Home

I awoke the next morning still in the crows nest with the Captain. We had gotten through half the bottle of rum and had talked and talked until we both fell asleep. I tried to remember what happened after we climbed up into the crows nest, but could only remember telling him my dream. As I lifted my head, I realized I had fallen asleep with Morgan's arm wrapped around my shoulders. I chuckled. Carved into the wood across from me was scrawled "I will always protect my Bell." I sure as hell didn't remember that. As soon as I moved to grab the bottle of rum, Captain Morgan stirred and slowly opened his eyes.

"Damn it, it's bright out." he murmured to himself. As he turned to see me, he smiled. "I'm happy to see you haven't run off on us yet. Happy birthday Bell." he said, resting his head on the wood behind him. I looked up at the sky.

"It's about eleven o'clock, Captain." I said.
"Good, then the boys should be awake. Which means we can hide out up here for a while." he yawned. "I'm not drunk enough to boss them around yet."

I realized I had the bottle in my hand, so I took a quick swig and passed it to him. He took it and smiled. "Cheers" he replied, taking a swig and handing it back to me.

"Do you remember anything about last night?" I asked him. He laughed.
"As a matter of fact, I do. We came up here and talked for a long while, and then Fox came up here and brought us some more rum because we finished the bottle we opened when we got up here. We did some more talking and then you insisted that I carve that," he said, pointing to the words across from us, "into the wood, which I happily accepted. And then you got very cuddly.. or was that me. Anyway you kissed my cheek and we talked some more and then somewhere along those lines we both fell asleep on each other." he chuckled. "Eventful night."

"Very eventful," I laughed.

"Anyway, I have to ask you one more time, because we are going to leave as soon as the very lazy and slightly drunk captain decides to climb down the ladder with his maiden. Are you sure that you want to come along? You wouldn't have to sleep with me if you didn't want to, I'm sure I could kick someone out of they're cabin. You'll have some duties. Probably laundry and cleaning and helping prepare food. Not very hard tasks. The boys will do the nasty work for you."

I thought for a moment. This was my chance. It was the opportunity I've waited for for nineteen years. I had no problem agreeing to the terms. "But, Captain. I'd like to ask one thing of you."

"Anything, luvvy."
"Can I bunk with you?"
"Of course. I'd love nothing more than to share my treasure with a lovely woman."

So the course was set. We would set sail later that day. But first, he agreed to let me go to my family to say goodbye. Before I left, he handed me a leather pouch.

"Please, take this to your family. Tell them that there is more where that came from." he winked. I knew what it was, but I didn't want to look. I didn't want to feel the guilt. So I smiled and thanked him. And then I climbed the rope ladder down the side of the ship and walked home.

Image


"Izabel, darling, where have you been?" my mother asked when I walked through the door. I smiled.

"Mother, my dream has come true." I said, kneeling beside her bed. "I'm going to the ocean. I'm going to my home."

She smiled. "Oh, Izabel. Take this chance. Run with it. Become the ocean like you were destined to."

"Mother," I said, tears coming to my eyes. I took the leather pouch out of the sack on my belt and set it on the bed. "Captain Morgan is so kind. He told me to give you this." I opened it and dumped the coins onto the bed. "It will feed the family for months. You will be able to trade for medicine, mother. You can take the boys to the shore again."

"La mia bella ragazza*. Learn from this dear Captain. And be careful. The sea is dangerous. But I know you well, darling. You will be a great woman."

I leaned close and hugged her. Her thin arms embraced me and I cried. But I promised I would return. Before leaving, I packed some clothes and some of my things and said good bye to my brothers. It was the hardest thing to walk away from my family, from this town, but I was ready.

The walk from my family's cottage to the dock is about a fifteen minute walk. Along the way, I stopped at the bar and told Tilly about the night prior.

"I can't believe he asked you to come along with him, Bell." she told me. I nodded.
"I'm finally about to go home, Till. To my real home. I'll send seagulls to you whenever I can. I'll explain everything. And when I come to visit, I'll tell you everything. I'll tell you about the oceans, the islands, the treasure, the people." I smiled, "Till, I'll miss you."
"My best friend is leaving. Now I'll have to hire thick mary to take your spot."
We both laughed. She gave me my earnings from the week and hugged me goodbye outside.
"Visit soon." she said as I walked away. I nodded and waved.

As I walked across the road to the docks I thought of my life here. Everything was about to change. I wouldn't be serving ale to drunk sailors anymore. I wouldn't be the bar wench any longer. I would be a pirate. I would be a sailor. I would be home.

Morgan was waiting for me as I walked up the dock to the ship. He had the men loading the last of the supplies onto the Jolly Roger. Crates of rum, food, extra lumber, and ammunition were hoisted up by pulleys onto the deck.
"Are you ready to set sail, pirate?" he asked me.
"I'm as ready as I'll ever be, Captain." I replied. He gestured to the ladder.
"Lead the way."

Once the Captain and I were safely on the ship, and the last crate was loaded onto the deck, the men drew up the anchor and the ladder. As the ship pulled away from the dock, I stood near Morgan on the quarter's deck at the helm. I looked at Braxton, slowly disappearing in the distance.

"Izabel, go and make yourself at home in my quarters and I'll meet you in a moment." Morgan said. I nodded.

When I stepped into the Captain's quarters and shut the door, I finally sighed. The ocean took control of my spirit. I was the ocean, smooth and course. Without flaw. Perfect, amazing. His bed was larger than I had thought. I was used to sleeping on a twin mattress. His was near queen size. Burgundy silk sheets and a black wool blanket covered most of it, with four throw pillows neatly placed on top. There was a desk in the corner of the room, scattered with papers and letters, a map of the world, quills, ink, a compass, gold coins. The walls were covered with cream wallpaper, a hint of blue along the top and bottom. In the corner was a red velvet chair, and behind it was a bookshelf full of maps of the world, trinkets and boxes.

I sat down on the bed and began unpacking the sack of my items I had brought from home. I had some corsets and dresses, pants, undergarments, and necessity items like a brush, my flask, some matches, a small dagger. I brought some drawings of my family that I kept folded up at the bottom of the sack. I didn't take them out. It was too early to miss them. We had left Braxton less than an hour ago. I folded my garments neatly and set them aside. I reached for my flask when the door opened and Morgan entered carrying a bottle of rum. He sat beside me on the bed and offered the bottle to me.

"For you, my Belle. Welcome home." he said. I took the bottle and popped the cork out. After taking a swig of the liquor, I handed it back to Morgan, who drank and set it nearby.
"It isn't much, but it's home." he said. "You can put your things wherever you'd like. The dresser has some empty space." I laid back onto the bed and looked up at him looking at me. We gazed at each other for a moment and then chuckled. He leaned towards me.
"Are you alright, deary?" he asked.
"I'm alright." I replied. "I just feel so free. I haven't felt like this."
"Get used to it. Every day is a new endeavor." he said, lying back next to me.

The night before, the Captain and I had not been too intimate. I mean, I had just met him. It's unwise to rush into things like that. But my heart pounded in my chest as he lay beside me. I felt peaceful and at home, but a sense of longing. I wanted him to hold me. And I wanted to cry. I wanted to let my past fall from my eyes. Let go of the hardest yet easiest decision of my life. The Captain could tell something was wrong. He propped himself up on his elbow and looked down at me.

"Come here, Belle." he said softly. I nudged closer to him and laid my cheek against his chest. I closed my eyes and tried to prevent the tears from falling. But it was hard. The water rolled right out and onto the fabric of Morgan's shirt. He placed a hand on the top of my head and ran his fingers through my dark hair.

"Everything will be alright, Belle. I'm going to protect you. You will see them again. Don't fret, luvvy. I'm here. You're home." he whispered to me. I kept my eyes closed. I was afraid if I opened them I would be in Braxton. But simultaneously I feared if I opened them I would be right where I am. My mind was a blur. I couldn't figure out what was happening.

"Don't be afraid, Belle." Morgan said in my ear. "You don't need to be afraid."

I sighed, calming slightly. I felt silly for crying. I made the decision. It was my choice. I didn't want to make Morgan feel responsible.

"This happens to the best of us, you know." the captain said quietly, his fingers gently moving through the long strands of my hair. "When I became a pirate I was very young. My father was the captain of a ship called the 'Infidel". I grew up on the sea with he and my brother Eric. Eric ended up inheriting the ship shortly after I left. When I was seventeen, I joined the crew of the Jolly Roger. I worked five hard, long years to earn the position of captain. The crew changes, the experience changes. I've been through it all in the past five years I've been captain." he chuckled, "In fact, yesterday marked my fifth year as captain." I lifted my head off his chest and looked him in the eyes. His ocean eyes.

"What of your mother Morgan?" I asked, curious.
"My mother passed when I was only three." he responded, "She was very sick."
"I'm so sorry," I said. After a long pause I added, "You know, you're a great man, Morgan."
"You think so?" he asked. I nodded.
"I'm a pirate deary, mustn't think too highly of me." he told me. I only shrugged.
"I can't see cruelty in your eyes." I said, setting my chin on his chest, but still gazing thoughtfully into his eyes. He smiled.
"Eyes of the sea."
"My mother always told me that."
"Wise woman." he said, twirling a strand of my hair around his finger.
"Captain?"
"Mmm?"
"What's your name?"
"Captain Morgan." he said, smiling.
"Your first name silly."
"Patrick James Morgan. But that's to be kept between us, luvvy."

I nodded. I leaned over him and grabbed the bottle of rum off the floor. I took a swig and placed it in Morgan's waiting hand. He took a drink and winked, placing a hand on my chin and leading it to his. My heart pounded in my chest. What was he doing? He swallowed the liquor and pressed his lips to mine. It started out as a soft kiss, gradually turning to multiple kisses. And then suddenly we were pulling each other closer and closer. His lips tasted like the sweetness of rum. We breathed in time, kissed in time. I felt connected to him in that moment. My heart guided me further and further into the unknown territory of the feelings I felt for him. I twined my fingers into his hair as he pulled my chest into his. The sweet kisses continued along my jaw line and down my neck...

"Captain, Thomas is finished making lunch. Won't you join us? I can't find the Miss either." Morgan and I turned to the door. We looked at each other and smirked.

"We'll both be out momentarily, I was just helping her settle in." he replied, still gazing at me. He stood up and held out his hand.

"Would you care to join me, miss?" he asked, holding out his hand.

"I would be most delighted, sir," I responded, jumping up and taking his hand.

Image


Thomas's lunch consisted of sweet corn, mashed potatoes, gravy and beef. We sat on the deck and ate so that we could all enjoy the weather. It was about four o'clock when we were finished. The sun was setting mildly and the colors were simply beautiful. "I could get used to this," I mumbled to myself, sitting back against the side of the boat's wall. Morgan, who was chatting with some crew members, turned and looked at me as I gazed out into the skyline.

"Excuse me," I heard him say just before walking over to me and sitting down next to me.
"Tomorrow morning we should be docking at Port Royal to grab a few things." he said. I nodded.
"What do we need?"
"More rum." he laughed. "We can't run out of rum. Ever."
"Ahh," I replied with a laugh.
"What are your pretty eyes setting upon?" he asked.
"The way the water melts into the sky."
"Strangest thing, aye?"
I nodded.
"Well, the boys are going to let me show you around the ship. And dinner will not be done until maybe seven or eight o'clock. Afterwards we will do what we always do, drink and be merry. And this time we won't be sleeping in the crows nest."
"Let's get started then," I said, smiling and standing up. I smoothed out my skirt and held my hand out to the captain. He gently took it and swiftly stood up.
"Follow me."

Without letting go of my hand, he led me to the stairs going down into the base of the ship. The stairway was wide enough to fit crates through easily, and the stairs, unlike other ships, had actual stairs instead of a ladder. Going down it was dark, but as we neared the bottom the walls were lit with candlelight. Beside the stairs was a door, which he opened. There was a corridor lined with two doors on each side and one at the very end.

"These are the crew's bunks," he said. The doors were propped open and inside each I could see a flicker of candlelight. It also appeared each room had a single window. I walked down the hall and peered into the rooms. There were two bunks in each room, one on each side. There was a single desk facing the window, and drawers under each of the beds. The room at the end had three beds, and one desk. I turned and returned to the captain.

"Happy to be rooming with me?" he asked, winking at me.
"I suppose so," I giggled.

He led me back through the door and back into the space at the bottom of the stairs. The brig was on the left side just near the bottom of the stairs. The bars were rusted and the cell was dark.

"This is where we keep the prisoners. People like other pirates who attempt to raid our ship and anyone who stands in the way. Right now we only have one person.. He likes to hide. He thinks if he can't see us, we won't see him."

He led me over towards the bars and I saw the outline of a man hunched over, back towards us, facing the wall in the corner. He was very dirty and shirtless. The cell's odor was a mix of urine and mold. A tray was laid out on top of the small mattress in the opposite corner of the man, untouched. He didn't turn around, so the Captain led me further within the innards of the boat.

The next room was abundant with crates filled with ammunition. Cannons lined both walls. Swords and guns were hung on racks at the far end of the room. The captain led me to them.

"I'm going to give you a sword," he said, turning to me, "You just have to promise you won't try to kill me in my sleep tonight." he smiled.

"I promise, Patrick." I replied. As I said this, his extended arm hesitated and he glanced towards me.

"No one has called me that in many years..."
"Did I upset you?" I inquired, unsure if it was a mistake or not.
"No, Belle. It just startled me." He grasped the hilt of the sword and handed it to me. I hung it onto my belt immediately and looked up to find him gazing as me.
"I'm sorry," I whispered. "I didn't mean to-"
"It's alright, luvvy." he replied, cutting me off. He took my hand and led me back towards the stairs. As we were passing the metal bars of the brig, a hand reached out and grabbed my arm.

"Ahh, Cap'n's got a lass, now does he. He does, he does. What's your name pretty lass?"

I jumped, and instinctively placed my had onto the hilt of my sword. In the bar I worked at drunkards would grab me all the time. Every time I felt sick to my stomach and imagined hitting them over the head with their tin mugs as they demanded me for another drink.

"You have no business with her, old man." Morgan snarled at the man. "Move back." he demanded towards me.

I grimaced at Morgan. I could very well defend myself. This man was behind bars, for God's sake. I had the power over him. The Captain pushed me back behind him and I strut to the bottom of the stairs. Morgan was intently whispering at the man in the brig as he went back into the corner of the room, covering his head with his arms. He squatted and glanced back at Morgan with fear in his eyes. Finally, Morgan turned and walked briskly towards me, taking my arm with gentle force and pulling me up the stairs.

"What the hell was that?" I demanded when we got onto the deck. Morgan sighed heavily and rolled his eyes.

"That old man attempted to burn our ship to the ground one night two years ago. He has no right to speak to anyone. He should have been killed on sight." Morgan spat. "I couldn't do so because he just so happens to be my father's brother."
"Two years? You've kept him down there for two years?"
"You have no idea what he's done since we've locked him up. He convinced a former mate to unlock him to he could use the lavatory. The second he did, he stole the mate's weapon, killed him, and attempted to flee the ship. Another time, we lent him a spoon with his meal and he scraped a hole in the side of the ship. The bottom flooded, it did. We had to pay a blacksmith to solder sheets of iron together to put on the wall and floor of the brig. And we spent days trying to fix the spillage he caused." The captain's face was red with anger. At that moment I decided to let it go. I took his hand and he looked at it for a second, and then intertwined his fingers through mine.

"Let's go and see the rest of the ship." I said. He nodded and gently pulled me towards the captain's quarters. We entered his room, but he led me straight into the back left corner of the room. I hadn't noticed a door earlier, but he took his ring of keys out and unlocked it. The door swung open and suddenly we were in the most elegant room I had never thought I'd see on a pirate ship. There was a long table in the center of the room, maps scattered all over it, gold coins piled on top. There was a retractable telescope lying on top of a pile of books. Above the table was a crystal chandelier. Lining the walls were bookshelves filled with books stacked on top of one another, other shelves held several boxes overflowing with jewels and gold necklaces. A diamond tiara was held in a glass case on one of the very top shelves.

"Where did you get all of this stuff?" I asked, excitedly looking at him. Morgan was smiling with great pride.

"Some were gifts. Some I came across on adventures." he replied, folding his arms across his chest. He sighed. "My treasures."

Great windows lined the back of the room, and as I walked over to it, the view was like I was floating on top the the water.

"This is by far my favorite of rooms." I said, turning and smiling at the Captain, who was already gazing at me.

"Izabel," he said, walking towards me. He held my arms in his. "I apologize for my behavior earlier. I lost my temper."

"I know," I said, looking towards the ground. "It frightened me a little bit. But it's alright." Morgan placed a hand upon my cheek. He gently pulled my face up and our eyes met.

"I needed to protect you." he said, placing a soft kiss on my lips.
I nodded, "Morgan.."
"Hush."
"But-"
"Shh.."
I furrowed my eyebrows. "I can learn to defend myself, Captain." I insisted, "I have a sword, it would be no good to let it rust in it's sheath."
"Later, Belle," he said, "but I understand."
I nodded slowly and pecked his cheek. He smiled, sighing. Releasing from the embrace, he led me through an swinging door on the right side of the room and into the kitchen. It wasn't elaborate like the last room, it was simple. Cabinets lined most of the walls, fresh vegetables were scattered about the top of the counters. Thomas was busy cleaning pots and pans from lunch. When we entered, he looked up and grinned.

"How ye liking the tour, miss?" he asked.

"The ship is amazing," I replied, "there's so many rooms." Morgan and Thomas laughed.

"It's not much but it's home." Thomas said. He began scrubbing the large pot he was cleaning again. Morgan's hand reached for mine, and I took it. He led me through another swinging door on the other end of the kitchen. It was another hallway lined with doors. The left held four wooden doors, the right only one.

"The larder," he said, gesturing to the first door, "lavatory, liquor storage, and crew room." he pointed to each door. He pushed through the door on the right, leading us back out to the deck.

"And that's about it, luvvy. Cleaning supplies are stored under the stairs leading up to the helm deck," he pointed to a set of stairs in front of us, "Savvy?" He smiled.

"Morgan," I said, biting my lip, "I'd like to change clothes quickly. Do you mind?"

"Of course not, deary." he replied. As he let go of my hand, I gently held on and tugged him back toward the Captain's quarters.

"Belle, I don't know if this is a good idea." he said, smirking. I turned and chuckled.

"Captain, with all due respect, sleeping with me is based farther than accompanying a lady while she changes clothes."

When we reached his quarters, I sorted through the clothes I brought from Braxton and settled on a cream dress with a black corset. Morgan sat down on his bed and reached for the rum bottle, lifting it to his lips and drinking. By the time he had set down the bottle, I had the back of my dress undone and halfway slid down my shoulder. I heard him breathe in heavily from across the room, and I glanced over my shoulder, smiling ever so slightly. I slid the dress I was wearing down to the floor and stepped into clean, dry one I was going to put on. As I began latching the back, I felt Morgan's hands on the small of my back. His hands were warm to the touch and sent tingles through my body.

One by one, he latched the hooks up my back, taking his time. When the last one was connected, I felt his hands on my shoulders. He stepped into me and I tilted my head to look at him and smile. With one hand, he took off his hat and placed it on the desk beside us. Replacing his hand to my shoulder he stepped closer again and ran his hands down my arms to my hands, where he took hold of mine and wrapped our arms around my body. I rested my head onto his shoulder and he kissed from the corner of my mouth, down my jaw line, and onto my neck.

Letting go of one of my hands, he pulled the fabric above my shoulder down and planted tender kisses down my skin. I closed my eyes. He nudged me over and repeated on the other side of my body. Butterflies danced inside of my stomach. Longing filled my emotions, teased my heart. His lips were soft and warm from the liquor. In my heart I knew that the way he touched me, wasn't the alcohol. I could feel his longing to be beside me, with me, too. He placed his left hand over my left breast, over my heart. He had no desire to take me. He wanted to be near me, as I wanted to be near him. I placed my hand over his on my breast and gently massaged the back of his hand with my fingers.

As his kisses neared my ear again, he sighed. It wasn't a bad sigh it was a content release of his breath, which he had been holding in. I then realized had I had been holding my breath too. With his hand on my waist still holding my own, he spun me around gently and caught me in his arms. I looked into his somber ocean eyes. They were helpless and pleading. I wanted him. I wanted his ocean eyes. I wanted to be part of him.

Was this infatuation? My heart declared it to be falling in love. But could I love this man? I had never loved before, I had been a singular being all my life. Is this what love felt like? This insatiable emotion that felt so wrong yet felt so right?

"You're.." Morgan whispered, "you're perfect. You're too much. You're like the buried treasure I've been searching for.." he breathed. "I don't deserve you, Belle."

"Oh, but Patrick," I replied, "you do. When you find a treasure you don't just turn it away, do you? You keep it close to you."

"This ship never really felt like home until you arrived, love." Morgan said.

Image


Another chapter.. I don't really mind if no one reads this. I'm writing it for a reason.

*my beautiful girl