When A Stranger Calls

Chapter 1

Friday 21st December 2007

The house was pitch black when I entered so my first thought was that I’d been burgled (yes, my imagination is that overactive); on the other hand it could simply have been that the electric had cut off, which was highly more likely.

I blindly stumbled through my living room, my arms held out in front of me. I knew that I had almost reached the kitchen door as I could feel its gloss instead of the matt effect coverings of the walls.

Half of me was terrified that there would be some kind of intruder lurking behind the door; half of me was ready to fight! The door creaked and whined as I slowly pushed it open.

“Hello; anybody there?” I let out a quivering sigh when I received no retort. I feebly felt round the wall and managed to place my hands on the door to the cupboard that encased the fuse box and gas meter. My 5ft 4” frame struggled to stretch up to flick the fuse back but after a moment of exertion, the ground floor to my home became awash with light.

My eyes scanned around the kitchen to see if anything seemed untoward or out of place; fine. I walked into the living room and did the same; absolutely fine.

I slumped onto my sofa and for the first time in years, my home didn’t feel like home. It was empty and eerily quiet. That’s when it suddenly dawned on me; where was my dog? I knew my housemate, Sarah, wouldn’t be back for at least another couple of hours, but where on earth was my dog?
♠ ♠ ♠
Well guys, what do you think? New story so comments would be very much appreciated.

Love y'all :P