When A Stranger Calls

Chapter 15

Tuesday 25th December 2007 – 01:30 am

The evening before had been a quiet one after Gerard’s news; we pretty much sat in silence watching the flames flicker in the fire. We drank wine and had our food and retired to bed at just after midnight. I watched his fitful sleep; watched his limbs jerk involuntarily and his eyes dart around under his eye lids. I could not sleep to save my life. Not even a cup of coco helped to lull me. So there was nothing for it; I just plumped my pillow and pulled a graphic novel from my bedroom bookcase. I had just started to read From Hell by Alan Moore; probably not the best thing to read when you can’t sleep.

I read for about half an hour when my mobile phone flickered to life on my bed side table. Luckily it was on silent. I carried on reading thinking it was just a text, but it persisted. I looked at the screen for the caller I.D. and found it was Sarah. I grabbed the phone and pressed answer. I didn’t, however, answer straight away; I wanted to take this call somewhere more private. I tip-toed down the stairs and opened the door into the living room. I heard Sarah shout “hello, hello; Lucy, you there?”

“Yeah, I’m here hun,” I answered slightly breathlessly, “I was just trying to get out of the bedroom so as not to wake Gerard. Oh my God, are you ok? It’s so good to hear your voice; I’ve missed you so very much.”

“I’ve missed you terribly too sugar, but no, I’m not ok!” came the reply.

“Oh God, what’s wrong? I urged.

“I don’t know how to tell you this Lucy. This is so hard for me and I don’t want to think that I’m trying to split you and Gerard up, even though I’m not particularly over the moon about your relationship anyway. I….. I just…… oh shit, how do I…. say…….. Fuck…..” she stammered.

“Come on Sarah; spit it out! You know you can tell me anything. It will never ruin our friendship; never, you hear me?”

“Ok, but shit, this is gonna hurt Lucy; I would never purposefully hurt you, you know that right?”

“I know, but please, carry on.”

“I saw Gerard last night; he was coming out of that Thai take out we always go to. I shouted him from across the street; I wanted to check how you were getting on. I’m sorry I didn’t phone you back but my phones been really playing up the last few days and it wouldn’t let me phone out to anyone; you most importantly. When I saw him I was so relieved; at least I could find out how things were.”

“Oh, he never mentioned that he saw you Sarah, but he was really messed up when he came back home. He’d been in a fight with one of the kids that used to bully him when he was at school. He was so shook up when he got back and that’s probably why he didn’t mention anything.”

“And you believe that?” Sarah questioned.

“Well, I have no reason not to believe him.” I shot back.

“Shit, Lucy, after his track record?”

“You are aren’t you? You’re trying to split us up?” I almost screamed at her, “I know he’s done some pretty bad things to us, but he’s rehabilitated so well and he’s truly sorry for what he did. I don’t think he’ll ever forgive himself!”

“What planet are you on hun?” she asked sarcastically, “Look, you know I love you to death, but he’s totally brainwashed you hasn’t he?”

“No, no; course he hasn’t!”

“Ok, then ask him where he really was last night and what he was doing; go on?”

I will not! Stop being so cryptic and tell me if it’s so important to you!”

“Well I was trying, but your rose tinted glasses were firmly in place! Yeah, Gerard beat someone up last night. I was there; IT WAS ME!” She shouted.

“No, no; you’re wrong Sarah! He wouldn’t hurt you; would he?” my voice faltered. Maybe he had hurt her. Maybe my damned pride was getting in the way of the truth. Maybe I had been brainwashed.

“Oh yes, he fucking would!” She replied, “He crossed the road to me. I went running up to him. I can’t say I was thrilled to see him, but I was happy about seeing him. We were just by the alleyway entrance; I only asked if you were ok and what you were planning for Christmas Day, and then whack; he’d got me up against the alleyway wall with his hands wrapped firmly round my neck.”

“No, no, no; this can’t be! Please tell me you’re wrong?” I knew she was right.

“Nah ha” I could almost see her shaking her head, “He told me that if I ever came anywhere near you again, he would make sure that that’d be the last image I ever see. He told me that he would kill me and that it would not be pretty! I just agreed with him and he let his hands drop from my neck. He just stood there though and wouldn’t let me past him. I tried to push him out of my way and….. then….. then, he just……….” I could hear her starting to cry.

“Oh God Sarah; what did he do to you?”

“He…… he err, head butted me and I just dropped to the floor. I felt my nose and it was pouring with blood. I looked up at him……and…. Well, let’s just say he didn’t hold back when he was punching and kicking the shit out of my ribs and stomach! Luckily, nothing’s broken. My mom took me to A&E last night and the Doctor said I was badly bruised. My nose had broken, but the Doctor managed to manipulate it back into shape. Fuck Sarah, I was lucky, but you might not be so lucky if he ever decides to let rip on you!”

I just about managed to keep the phone to my ear; I was in total shock and I was terrified. I couldn’t speak; well not coherently anyway.

“I…… I……, oh Sarah, I just….. Don’t k-know what to s-say other than I-I’m so, so sorry! Will you ever forgive me?”

“You’ve done nothing wrong sugar! But what I do want you to do is save yourself! You need to get out of there before he turns on you too; you hear me? I don’t want to be visiting my best friends’ grave stone to say hi!”

“Yes, I understand Sarah! He’s going out later on at about 9ish to get the rest of my Christmas present; I’ll make a run for it whilst he’s out, ok!”

I heard the door creak open next to me and I looked round in horror. I dropped my phone as I let out a shaky scream. I could faintly hear Sarah shouting before Gerard crashed his foot down and smashed the phone to pieces.

“Oh no you won’t Lucy,” Gerard sneered, “I’ll make sure you never get out of here; so much for best laid plans eh?!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Duh, duh, duuhhhhhhhhhh!

Comments make me happy people! Thanks to everyone who's subscribed and commented so far.

Love y'all