When A Stranger Calls

Chapter 18

Time Lapse to Present (being Friday 1st August 2008 – 5:30pm)

Jeez, today felt like it was never going to end. Work has been just about bearable to be honest and that’s only because it’s a Friday. Friday night was what we call “easy night”. We don’t cook or rush around and end up spending most of the evening/night in our PJ’s watching DVD’s. It breaks you into the weekend after a week of hard work. Most Friday’s I’m too tired to do anything, so chilling with a nice bottle of wine, some take—out food and a few good DVD’s suits me down to the ground.

The bus journey home seemed to take longer than expected, but then again, I didn’t mind too much. My ipod is my best friend on a bus journey; if I ever forget to bring it out it drives me close to insanity. I escape with the help of it.

After twenty minutes of daydreaming, I arrive at my stop and practically run down to the front of the bus and jump off the steps. My home is in view and it’s all I can do to stop myself running to get to it. I noticed that the little red Volkswagen is pulled up on the drive so instinctively I know that Sarah is home before me.

I walk up the drive and pull my house keys out of my bag. Why oh why do I put all this junk on my key chain? It’s heavy with all the key rings and mascots that I have collected over the years. I manage to find my key after much fumbling and put it into the keyhole. I tried to turn it, but it was stuck fast. What the hell?

“Lucy, is that you?” I hear Sarah shout. It sounds like she’s at the top of the stairs.

“Err, no, it’s the tooth fairy;” I reply sarcastically, “who did you think it would be?”

“Look, just stay where you are? Don’t even try to come in!” This was really freaking me out; what the hell was she doing, “I’ve put the key in the door, so there really is no chance of you getting in without my say so, you hear?”

“Yeah, ok; whatever.” I sighed and stood there lightly kicking my feet against the door frame before leaning my back against it. After a moment, the door opened and I nearly fell backwards into the house. Sarah grabbed hold of me to keep me steady. Once steady, she covered my eyes with her hands from behind me. This evening was getting freakier by the minute.

“Lucy, I’ve not gone totally insane, but please just trust me on this. I’ve got a surprise for you, so no peeping ok?”

“Ok then.”

I felt myself being lightly guided into the living room as I held on to her arms. There was a little whining/grunting type of noise coming from what sounded like the corner of the room. Anticipation was filling my senses and I couldn’t wait to see and know what was there in the room with us.

“You ready?” she asked

“You know I am!” was my hurried reply and she took her hands away from my face slowly. I kept them shut for a little bit longer; was I slightly afraid? No, just anxious really. That was until I saw what was sitting on the floor in front of me, wagging her tail and panting. Tears of happiness gathered behind my eyelids as I knelt down to scoop this little ball of fun into my arms. She licked my face and ears and was almost purring in delight.

“Hope you don’t mind, but I already thought of a name; you want to hear it?” Sarah asked.

“Go on.” I urged fighting back more tears.

“Fudge; thought it kind of suited her?” she asked rather than stated. I had to agree, it suited her down to the ground. Fudge is a beautiful Staffordshire bull terrier pup with deep brown fur with almost golden specks in it. She reminds me of my last dog and even though she’ll never replace what I lost, it was so nice to have that empty space filled again.

Sarah and I spent the rest of the night playing with Fudge whilst drinking wine and chatting about the last 7 months. We’d overcome so much in such a short time and I really think if we hadn’t of had each other’s friendship, we wouldn’t be here today. She’s been there for me whenever I’ve needed her and vice versa. We’ve had great times and we’ve had rock bottom times, but that’s all part and parcel of being a best friend. I guess you sometimes take so many things for granted, but one thing’s for sure and something I'll never take for granted ever again; Sarah and I are and always will be friends forever!
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, that's the last chapter folks. Hope you've enjoyed reading it as much as I have thoroughly enjoyed writing it. I know you all probably wanted a dark and gruesome end, but you know what? I wanted to surprise you.

This story is dedicated to my best friend (bar my Sister and my Hubby of course) Sarah D. She's my gig buddy and so much more. She's helped me through such tough times (see the journal about my Nan) and I've been by her side through her troubles too. My life has been enriched further just by knowing her and I hope she knows truly, how much she means to me.

I have a wonderful family, sister and husband and they're always there for me and I love them dearly, but sometimes you just need someone outside of your family, don't you?

She really is an Angel in disguise!

My love to you all, especially those who have commented and subscribed. You all mean a lot to me.

Thank you so much