When A Stranger Calls

Chapter 7

Saturday 22nd December 2007 – 01:20am

He looked up at me from the comfort of my lap. His eyes were now shining; a huge difference to the dark emotionless orbs that they were a mere hour or so earlier. I didn’t really know what to do with myself now. I felt completely torn; my best friend was upstairs (probably still beside herself with fear) and then there was Gerard. No! Best friends come first; I was going to have to see her.

“Listen Gerard,” I asked quietly, “would you please let me go so I can check up on Sarah? She’s been up there a while now and I need to see that she’s ok; ok?”

“Oh yeah, I forgot about her!” He looked surprised, “Well, I guess you do need to check up on her, so yeah; carry on. If you’re any longer than half an hour though, I shall be coming up there to find out what’s going on! I will let you take her gag off but the hands stay tied – you catch me?”

“Yes, I catch you. I promise I won’t be long. I’ll be back with you pronto, ok?” I replied as I bent down and kissed his forehead.

“You better; we have so much catching up to do!”

With that, I stood up from my chair and Gerard bowed for me as I stepped past him. I tried to maintain a steady walk towards the hall door, but I couldn’t disguise the quickness of my step as I got closer to it. I went through the door and I practically flew up the stairs.

As I approached my bedroom door I shuddered. Could I stomach the sight of my dead dog again? Well, I’ll soon know.

The door was still slightly ajar so I lightly pushed it open. The smell hit me like a freight train; it was horrendous. I gagged and pulled my shirt up to my nose and then locked to the floor where my best friend was.

Sarah had curled up in a ball on the floor, still hugging her knees. She was sleeping albeit fitfully. I stood there and watched her eyelids flickering and now and again her legs twitched involuntarily. I really didn’t want to wake her but Gerard’s words were swimming around my mind about not staying here too long. I really didn’t want to find out what would happen if I defaulted on our agreement.

I quietly stepped towards her then I bent down and gently untied the gag; she didn’t make a peep. I softly placed my right hand on her thigh and started to shake her slightly. She awoke with a scream of, “no, no; please don’t hurt me!” I stroked her leg to try and comfort her.

“Shush, shush, shush; it’s only me hun – Lucy. Come on now, just try and stay calm. I could feel her trembling beneath my hand.

“Oh God Lucy, it’s you!” she cried, “Oh Jesus, are you ok? What has he done to you? Please say you’re ok? She was so upset but at the same time seemed so pleased just to see my face.

“I’m fine hun; it was you I was more worried about. Are you ok?”

“Well, apart from having to look at that on the bed,” she nodded shakily to where my dog was, “I’m not really that bad; just scared out of my wits! All this has made me really tired, so I thought I’d try and shut it all out by sleeping, but that hasn’t helped much either.”

“I know. You were talking in your sleep when I came up, you poor thing.” I stroked her face and pulled her into a hug; I felt bad that she couldn’t hug me back.

“Tell me what he’s done to you? When I get free I’ll fucking kill him, I promise you!” she bellowed.

“Shush babe, please calm down. I haven’t got much time with you, so let’s make it good eh?” I pleaded. “Just so you know, he hasn’t done anything to me; well not bad anyway.”

“What do you mean; not bad anyway?” she asked.

“Well the reason why he’s doing all of this is because I turned him down at school and it’s sent him a bit over the edge. He hasn’t hurt me; in fact he’s almost been a model gentleman.” I saw Sarah’s jaw practically hit the floor. “He’s held my chair out for me and has been ever so gentle. I think he really loves me. He asked me to tell him I loved him too, which I have. I needed to get him off of my back for a while so I could come and see you.”

“You told him you loved him?! Shit me Lucy, what the hell are you playing at?” She barked.

“Ok, I know you think I’m an idiot for saying it, but you should have been down there; he looked so happy when I said it and actually he doesn’t seem all that bad.” I knew she was right; why else would I have been so defensive.

“Are you taking the piss? Lucy, come on; this nut job has just butchered your dog and put us through all hell and back and you’re saying he’s not bad? Fuck me; I’ve heard it all now!”

“I know how it looks,” I replied, again on the defensive, “but I think I could help him.”

“Well, you go right ahead, but don’t think I’ll be having any hand in this! You wouldn’t want to help him if you heard the things he was telling me. He’s putting one hell of an act on Luce ‘cus from what he was spurting out up here before you come back, you’ll end up the same as the dog!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooohhh, is Gerard playing games with Lucy? Does Sarah know the real truth? Duh, duh, duuuhhhhhh!

Comment my little chickadee's; I want to know what you think.