Don't Leave Me Alone

Two

"Neal, we gotta go" I heard Nisky's voice as I grabbed my keys.

"Coming!" I replied. I locked the door and saw him standing next to the car. I pressed the button and heard it unlock as we both climbed in.

It was first day of training camp and it seemed Nisky was impatient to get into the routine again. I had to admit, i felt the same way. I backed the car out and heard him sigh.

"What?" I asked.

"I'll just be glad for the distraction" he said, his head resting back.

"Things at home a little--" he cut me off, "Doesn't matter" he said, "we're just bickering over something stupid, it's fine"

It was quiet the rest of the ride and we arrived at the rink. I shoved my keys in my pocket and Matt was close behind.

It's not like I hadn't skated all summer, but there was something about being with the guys again, wearing the penguin on my jersey. It felt good. The locker room atmosphere, everything. It had been a long summer and this felt familiar and right.

Of course, after a breakup, anything that keeps you occupied feels right.

"How are you holding up?" I heard Sid behind me and I pulled off my jersey, "What do you mean?" I asked.

"I heard about Sarah." He said. I sighed and responded, "I'm good, it's been over a month. I'm just glad to be on the ice again"

"You don't get over four years in a month, Neal"

"I'll be fine" I said sitting in my stall, "I just need to get into this routine"

Sid nodded and I saw a sympathetic smile cross his lips and I sighed as he walked away. Nisky came up beside me and sat down, "This weekend, some of the guys are going downtown. I think we both need a night out"

"I'm not up to it"

"Well it doesn't matter, because I said you're coming. It will be a good distraction."

I clenched my jaw and agreed. As much as I didn't want to, maybe he's right. It will keep my head busy for a while, and I won't be alone. Being alone hasn't been my friend, which is why I'm secretly glad for Matt knocking on my door the past few nights because of the fighting with his girlfriend.

I'm sure it will be good for me. I'm convincing myself it will be.