Don't Leave Me Alone

Five

This girl was different. I couldn't peg what was different though. Her outfit didn't single her out, her hair, her look in general, but the way she called me on checking my phone, her comment after I asked to buy her a drink. She seemed like the type to not take shit from anyone and it was refreshing to meet someone like that.

Sarah was nothing like that.

"You like tequila?" She asked, just before arriving at the bar.

"I'm buying you the shots, so I'll get you whatever you want"

"Yes but I asked if you liked it. You don't think I'm taking shots alone do you?" There was a look in her eye, and I couldn't discern exactly what it was, but I was intrigued and getting more interested by the second. Her eyes were also an incredible shade of blue.

"Uh I guess not, let's do this"

We each did two, fairly quickly, which was definitely not a smart idea on my part. Tequila is dangerous, especially when you've already had a couple of drinks. She seemed buzzed, but nothing too extreme, she just seemed much more chatty, which I didn't mind. She talked a lot about Willow, who I think she really adored. She also kept going on about a fresh start moving to Pittsburgh but never really revealed much about why. So, not really having great judgement on account of the alcohol, I attempted to pry.

"So why did you move?" A simple question.

"Cause I needed a fresh start, I said that" she said, taking a sip with a chuckle. She looked up at me this time and I kept my eye on her. She dodged eye contact quickly and then ran a hand through her long brown hair, which drove me a little crazy, in a good way.

"But why a fresh start? Did something happen?" I could tell she didn't want to talk about it, but for some reason I asked anyways. She kept composed though, and answered me.

"It's in the past James, I just...I just want to forget about it, okay? It's only been a month" she really looked anxious and slightly upset, and it was enough to keep from prying anymore, so I changed the subject.

"So you're single right?" That caught her attention immediately and she looked up, and then smiled.

"I am"

"So how is that possible?" I asked, "You're like a dream"

She tilted her head to the side and there was surprise and confusion on her face, "Uh, thanks. You're pretty dreamy yourself"

Anytime a girl used the word dreamy, it seemed cheesy, but the way the words slipped out of her mouth, she was pulling me in, and my thoughts were quickly becoming impure but I was saved when Jordan and Willow slid into the booth beside us.

"You guys look cozy" Willow said, giving Lauren a slight nudge. Lauren forced a smile and I just took a drink. The girls whispered a bit and then she whispered something to Jordan.

Lauren moved a little closer and her lips came close to my ear, "We'll be right back?" Her breath on my skin gave me chills and then I felt her hand under the table and squeeze my thigh. I clenched my jaw and gave her a nod, too shocked to have any kind of other reaction. I saw her smile a little and then leave the booth as Willow got out the other side.

"What was that?" Jordan asked leaning across the table.

"What?" I tried to play it off, I was never one to brag about this stuff like some of the other guys, not that there was much to brag about.

"Oh come on, you've been ogling her since she said hi to you"

"She's really nice" I said before taking another drink. Jordan didn't say anything as I started pulling at the label on the bottle I was drinking from.

"There's nothing wrong with going after someone new Nealer. She's gorgeous, funny and she seems to like being around you, which is beyond me" he laughed a little and then sighed, "It might not go anywhere, but don't push aside your feelings because you still haven't gotten over Sarah. Lauren can be a fresh start"

Fresh start?

"Uh, yah I guess" I responded.

"I'm not saying you have to take her home, but--" he stopped as the girls came back and I let both in.

"Dance?" Willow asked Jordan and Jordan just gave me a look, reassuring me about what he had just told me, "Of course" he answered her and they made their way to the dance floor, leaving Lauren and I alone again.

"You want another drink?" She asked, "I won't lie, I just really want to drink"

"Sure" I led her to the bar again and the more we drank, the more I wanted her. Yet, that small voice, the common sense, was still there, and telling me I had to stop, that I had to be careful, but I didn't want to.

She laughed as we sat down again, and she was easily trashed. Not to the point where she was falling here and there, but she had some trips and her speech was slurred pretty badly and she was getting frisky. I wasn't exactly in my right mind but I knew if I had anymore, I'd be taking her home, and I wasn't sure I was ready for that.