One Hundred Sleepless Nights

Night Fourteen ~ Dangerous Thinking

Patrick had to go back to work today. He had taken time off to stay with Pete, but now he needed to go back. Pete pouts when Patrick drives him home.

"I wanna stay with you," The dark haired boy whines.

"I know you do, but I can't trust you alone," The blond runs a hand through Pete's hair and sighs.

Pete leans in for one last hug, nuzzling his face into Patrick's neck. The blond smiles and pats his back, kissing his forehead softly. Pete looks at Patrick, his eyes watery.

"Patrick?"

"Yeah?"

"I love-"

Kat taps on the car window and scares both of them half to death. Patrick jumps and knocks his knee on something, mumbling "holy fucking smokes ouch" under his breath. He rolls down the window and Pete lets go of Patrick.

"Hey baby, how do you feel?" She asks.

Pete shrugs and looks at Patrick sadly before getting out of the car and grabbing his bags from the trunk. Kat helps him carry them inside, and Pete stands in the doorway, waving to Patrick as he drives away. He walks inside after Patrick is gone down the road, and wipes his tears. He feels his heart being crushed inside of him and slides to the floor, choking on his own breath. There's so much pain and confusion inside of him, and it's too much for him to handle. Everything is spinning around him and he blacks out in the middle of the floor.

**

Pete is awake, but he can't open his eyes. His head feels like it weighs ten tons, and when he tries to move he thinks he'll vomit. He feels hands on him, and something pressing to his chest, but he's not quite sure what it is. A familiar voice echoes in his ears.

"Peter? Can you open your eyes?"

Pete tries as hard as he can, and finally manages to open them halfway. Patrick is sitting beside him, stethoscope around his neck and wearing all white. They're in an all white room, and it smells weird. The blond smiles and touches his cheek.

"Hey, sweetheart. How do you feel?" Patrick asks softly.

"Not good," Pete chokes out.

Patrick frowns a little and stands up. He starts touching Pete's head, and the older one yelps when he touches a certain spot.

"Did that hurt?"

Pete nods a little. Patrick looks at that spot carefully, poking at it even with Pete's whines.

"It's a bruise. I guess you hit your head."

"Why am I here?" Pete asks.

Patrick looks slightly alarmed.

"You don't remember?"

Pete shakes his head.

"I remember getting out of your car... But then I don't know.."

Patrick cups his face gently, pushing the hair out of Pete's eyes.

"Kat says she was unpacking your bags and she heard you fall. She went in there to
see if you were okay, but you were passed out on the floor and shaking. She thought you were dying."

Pete grabs Patrick's shoulders and pulls himself up, but starts getting dizzy and leans against the blond. The younger one reaches over and grabs a cup that's filled with some sort of pink liquid, and hands it to Pete.

"Drink this. It'll help, but it'll make you sleepy."

Pete does as he's told, drinking the sweet liquid. Patrick smiles and suddenly picks him up, setting him down in a wheel chair. He wheels the dark haired boy into a room where Kat is waiting, and she jumps up to meet them. She and Patrick start talking, but Pete can't figure out what they're saying. Pete's getting sleepier by the minute, and he feels like he can't even move. Patrick wheels him out the the parking lot and helps Kat get him into the car. The blond pats Pete's head and smiles.

"I'll come by your house to check on you later, okay?"

Pete manages to nod, and Patrick hands him a paper bag.

"That's your medicine, okay? Take it if you don't feel good."

Pete nods again, and Patrick gives him a quick kiss on the head. The blond shuts the car door and makes his way back into the hospital, and Kat slides into the driver's seat. Pete leans his head against the window, and falls asleep watching Patrick walk back into the hospital.