One Hundred Sleepless Nights

Night Nineteen ~ Words

[**WARNING!** Contains self-harm themes. Please be careful reading if you're sensitive to that.]

Pete is locked in the bathroom, curled up in a ball. His eye is throbbing from being punched, and his lip is busted and bleeding. Kat is banging on the door, yelling and telling him to open the damn door. Pete searches his pants for his cell phone, but then vaguely remembers her taking it when she punched him. He was trapped.

"You know what?" Kat shouts, still banging on the door with her fist. "Kill yourself, you fucking faggot! You disgusting, gay freak! Kill yourself!"

Kat continues spitting insults at him from the other side of the door, and Pete just lets all the words wander into his head. They poke and prod at his brain, causing tears to roll down his face. A noise startles him, and he notices a knife being pushed through the opening on the bottom of the door.

"Kill yourself, fag. I hate you," Kat says with one last bang on the door before walking away.

Pete just looks at the knife, tears still making their way down his face. Eventually, he crawls over and picks up the sharp weapon, and opens the cabinet, grabbing a bottle of sleeping pills. He climbs into the bathtub, using a folded up towel as a pillow. He swallows the entire bottles of pills, and allows the knife to meet the tender skin of his wrists. Blood leaks onto the floor of the bathtub, making puddles of the crimson liquid all around him. His eyes slip shut, and he feels the blood soak into his clothes.

"Patrick," He whispers almost inaudibly as the world spins around him. "Patrick."

**

Pete was in Patrick's arms, in a beautiful, bright place. The blond stroked his hair, smiling down at him.

"I love you," Patrick says softly. "I love you so much. I'll never let anything hurt you."

Pete buried his head into Patrick's shoulder, breathing in his scent. He kissed the younger boy's lips, a blush settling into his cheeks.

"I love you too."

Suddenly, Patrick's smile was gone and the brightness faded to black. Pete is falling. He screams, trying to reach for Patrick, but the blond stays put. The older boy keeps falling, going farther and farther into the darkness.

"Patrick!" He screams, flailing his arms to try to grab a hold of something.

"I said I would protect you," Patrick whispers, his voice cracking. "But I can't save you from yourself."

And Patrick disappears from sight, leaving Pete in an endless descent into the abyss.

**

Pete's eyes opened slowly, taking time to get used to the light. His mother was beside his bed, holding his hand.

"Peter?" She asked.

Pete gave a soft noise of pain in response. His whole body ached, and his arms were burning. His stomach felt like it was full of knives, and his head was full of water.

"I'll get the doctor, okay?" Pete's mother says softly.

Pete can barely find the energy to nod. He dozes off, but is eventually woken up by his mother. She's trying to talk to him, but he interrupts her with another noise of pain. It's worse now, and a couple of tears run down his cheeks. He hears a knock on the door, but can't even turn his head to see who it is. A familiar voice echoes through his ears.

"Peter?"

He hears footsteps, and then a hand on his head, stroking his hair. Pete can't even open his eyes now, and more tears run down his face, mostly from frustration this time. He feels a tissue wiping his face, and then a hand on his forehead.

"It's okay, don't cry. I'm going to give you more medicine, okay?" Patrick's voice tells him, sending reassurance through him.

Pete feels something in his arm, and then he's asleep again, Patrick's voice carrying him away from nightmares.