One Hundred Sleepless Nights

Night Twenty ~ Awake

Pete wakes up alone in his hospital bed. His eye lids are too heavy to lift, and his throat to dry to try to call anyone. He lays there, a dull ache coursing through his body. He hears footsteps coming toward him, and wonders if it's his mom. He feels calloused hands touch his cheek, and he knows it's Patrick. The hand disappears and he hears Patrick start to leave. He struggles to open his eyes, but manages to make a choked noise escape his throat. The hand returns, brushing hair across his forehead.

"Peter?"

Another noise comes out, and he feels Patrick dragging his body upward. He feels the rim of a plastic cup touch his lips.

"Drink," Patrick instructs as he tips the glass.

The liquid is sweet as it trickles down Pete's throat. He drinks the entire thing and feels Patrick's thumb swipe across his lips. The younger boy lays him back down on the bed, making sure all the tubes and wires attached to Pete are secure before pulling the blanket up to his chin.

"Don't... leave," Pete chokes out.

"I won't," Patrick whispers. "I'm right here, I'm not leaving."

It takes a few minutes, but Pete finally manages to open his eyes. Patrick's blue eyes are staring back at him, and the blond smiles. Pete ignores in pain that shoots up his arm and grabs Patrick's hand. The blond notices the way Pete winces, and presses kisses over the bandages on the older one's wrist. He rubs the dark haired boy's arm, keeping comfortable eye contact with him. Something beeps, and Patrick stands up.

"W-Where are you going?" Pete asks hoarsely.

"I have to get back to work," The blond responds, leaning over to kiss the older one on the cheek. "I'll be back later, okay? I promise. Get some rest while I'm gone."

He makes sure Pete is settled and has everything he needs before disappearing in the halls of the hospital, leaving Pete all alone.

**

Pete wakes up to loud yelling coming from the hallway. He opens his eyes easier than before, and finds his mom sitting next to him, holding his hand and staring at the doorway of the room.

"Mom," He whispers. "What's going on?"

"Your eyes are open," She says quietly, her eyes filling with tears. "I didn't think I'd see them again."

Pete's quiet, and looks down at the tiles on the floor. How long had he been asleep before Patrick sat with him earlier that day?

"How long was I out?"

"A week before you first made a noise, and you opened your eyes today, so about nine days."

Pete was about to ask more questions, but was interrupted by the sound of someone getting slapped. He turned his head to the doorway and saw Patrick holding his cheek. There was someone in front of him, but he couldn't see who it was. They try to come into Pete's hospital room, but Patrick blocks them.

"I told you already, you can't come in here," Patrick growls.

The figure pushes Patrick out of the way, making its way to Pete. The blurriness of his vision fades, and he recognizes the person coming toward him. Kat.

"I'm so sorry, Petey. You know I didn't mean it. Are you alright?" She asks, leaning down to try to kiss him.

Pete tries to warn her that he doesn't feel good, but she kisses him on the lips anyway. The dark haired boy pulls away quickly, his hand clamped over his mouth. His mother, Patrick, and Kat give him puzzled looks, but he can't speak. Eventually, he can't hold it in anymore and leans over the side of the bed, puking all over Kat's shoes. He feels dizzy, and can't move his body. His vision starts to fade, and he hears Patrick's quiet laughter and the blond's arms tucking him back into bed. The last thing he hears before blacking out is Kat swearing at him for throwing up on her new heels.