One Hundred Sleepless Nights

Night Nine ~ A Sense of Security

Pete wakes up alone. He looks around to see that his room is cleaner than it was before, and there's no sign of Patrick. He hears the sound of coffee brewing, and he runs into the kitchen. Kat's standing in front of the coffee machine, pouring the dark liquid into two mugs. She notices Pete standing in the doorway.

"Hey baby," she says, leaning over to kiss his cheek and hand him a mug. "How are you feeling?"

Pete just stares at the coffee, feeling like he's going to vomit. Kat hands him a piece of paper.

"Your friend left this for you."

Pete takes it and goes back into the bedroom, curling up under the blankets.

"Pete,

I got called into work while you were asleep. I'll call you when I'm finished. Don't be reckless.

xoxo, Patrick"

Pete folds the note up again and puts it in his pocket. Kat walks in and sits on the corner of the bed, setting her hand on Pete's calf.

"Your friend told me about what happened."

Pete doesn't say anything, just pulls at an imaginary loose thread on his blanket. Kat sighs.

"I want you to get professional help."

"I don't need any."
"Pete, you tried to kill yourself! You obviously need help!"

"I'm fine."

"Whatever," Kat says, sighing. "I have to go to work."

Pete nods and says a quiet goodbye when she's walking out the door. He's alone again, and decides to take a nap.

**

Pete wakes up to the soft vibrations of his phone in his pocket. He pulls out his phone and presses it to his ear, not looking at who it is.

"Hello?"

"Hey," Patrick's voice comes through, soft and sweet. "Were you asleep?"

"Yeah," Pete whispers, laying his head back on the pillow.

"Do you want me to wait until tomorrow to come over then?"

"No," Pete says quickly. "I want you here."

Patrick chuckles, and Pete's heart swells at the sound.

"Be there in five."

**

Patrick's right on time. He uses the spare key to get inside, making his way into Pete's room. The older one's head pops out of the blankets, giving Patrick his best grin.

"We're gonna cuddle," Pete says and holds his arms out.

Patrick smiles and toes off his shoes. He pulls off his jacket and after a moment of hesitation, his pants. Pete makes grabby hands at him, and yanks on his arm when he gets close enough. The blond makes his way into the mountain of blankets and tangles his leg's with the dark haired boy. Pete nuzzles his head into the crook of Patrick's neck.

The whole day had been full of uncertainty, but right now, Pete is safe.