Dream of Me Tonight

where help is needed

"Why are you so pissy about this?" asked Trent as he observed his friend running around getting his stuff around the mess that he called an apartment. "And why can't you drive your own car?"

"Where the hell is my phone?" Caleb grunted, throwing old sweatshirts and jumpers off the sofa before finally finding it. "My car is in for repairs," he answered, cringing. Though right now, it was the least of his worries. "Just this once, okay? You know I don't ask for favors often."

"That's not it. It's just I don't understand why all the fuss over some girl who got into that hit and run a couple of nights ago. Tragic, but these things happen," said Trent, shrugging. He pulled the door open for Caleb – who literally ran out of the apartment unit and rushed to the stairs after complaining about "the stupid elevator being fucking slow."

"Caleb," Trent called out. "Do you know her?"

He stopped in his tracks.

"Kind of."

"Kind of?"

"I…" Caleb trailed off, deep in thought. "I— I saw her that night, when she got hit."

Trent frowned. He knew Caleb for 5 years and counting and never once did he showed such concern for someone he doesn't even know. Hell, he didn't even show much concern over the people he did know. "Well, okay," he answered after a while and they started moving down the stairs again. "But shouldn't you report this to the cops or somethin'?"

Caleb's face darkens.

"Cops can't do shit."