Dream of Me Tonight

the dreamy encounter

"So that's how…we got into this predicament," Caleb said and I kind of just stared at him, not knowing what to believe. He just told me his story of how he rushed to my aid and somehow got me into this…this dream state. This weird…dream state.

"It doesn't sound…it's…" I began but the truth was, I really did not know what to think about it. "It's weird," I said.

"I guess that's an apt description, yes."

"How do I know that this isn't just a normal dream? Chances are if I wake up, you won't even exist."

But no, that wasn't true. I knew of Caleb Wesley and the rumors that surround him back in the university. I never really cared for words in the grapevine but point being, I know of his existence. "What if," I continued, "What if I wake up, go to college and find you just to make a fool out of myself when I say 'hey dude, not sure if you know me but we've met before. In each other's dreams.'"

God, that sounds like a really bad pickup line.

Caleb laughed. "You do realize I can hear you thoughts right?"

"Now this is getting more surreal," I exclaimed, throwing my hands up.

"I'm sorry. You can hear mine. Just that I can…filter mine out more easily, I suppose."

"How do I do that?"

He shrugged. "I…honestly don't know." Well, that was that.

"It's just hard to believe in this, you know that. Besides, why me? Why let me enter your dream space? Am I…" I trailed off, looking to the grassy ground.

"Dying? God, no," Caleb said, hurriedly. But an afterthought later, he added, "I mean, I hope not."

"Then why?"

"I have my reasons."

I fell silent. The determined look on his face tells me that there's no possible way that I can get the reason out of him. Not yet, anyway. "Okay. But you must promise me that when I wake up, you'll approach me first, okay?" I said, nervously. "Otherwise well…"

"You're that afraid of embarrassing yourself, huh?" he asked, running his hand through his hair. "Well, you wouldn't have to look far. When you wake up from your coma, I'll be there. Next to you. You'll see."

"…How am I?"

"Stabilized. Don't worry," he said, and for a moment I felt a strong wave of emotion overwhelming me. I felt bad. I just…had no idea why. Everything was so confusing. Everything. Even though I was trapped in a dream state, at least it was better than being engulfed in the darkness. But even so, I could actually feel my entire body aching in pain. I just didn't know how to explain it.

"Oh. This feels something like a lucid dream," I muttered. Caleb's scrunched his eyebrow.

"This is a lucid dream, well technically."

"So I can do whatever I want?"

"Well, yes. It's just that, your dream won't be private because ya know, I'm here," Caleb explained.

I looked at the sky and immediately after that it was raining kittens.

"Seriously?" Caleb said. I cradled a cute widdle gray one and it meowed. "Raining kittens, of all things? Seriously?"

"Don't you know how amazing this is?!" I said, giggling. "I AM NOT ALLERGIC TO KITTEEEENS!" I exclaimed loudly, twirling around the field. This was going to be a fun, fun dream.