Status: work in progress

I Don't Want to Live in the Modern World

The Modern World, Part Two

Slowly, I moved out of my room and into the hallway. My sister, Nicole was walking up the steps with her two friends in the stupid shirts they made. They were bright pink and they each said "yolo", "swag", and "hipster" on them. When they saw me they grimaced at me like I was some disgusting piece of chewed up gum underneath their desk. "What are you doing here?" Nicole questioned.

"I live here." Was all I said. "And why don't you change into shirts that don't make me want to puke?"

There was nothing but rage in their eyes. "Well, why don't you just get the hell out of my sight?" My sister said again.

"Nothing would make me happier."

With that, I shoved them aside and walked downstairs, and into the kitchen, where my mom was.

She was icing a cake. At first I thought it might be for my birthday or something, but then I read the letters on the cake. It said "Congrats Nicole!". Oh yeah, I thought, Nicole is having her graduation party on my birthday, I forgot.

"What did you want?" I asked my mom.

I noticed she was listening to the radio as she worked. It was pop music. Bad pop music. It screamed auto-tune everywhere. It was so fake I could not stand it. "I found this on the floor by the steps." She said.

She held up an orange envelope. It was my report card. It must have fell out of my book bag as I ran up the steps. "And I called the school. The principal said I could sign you up to go to summer school."

She looked calm, which made me feel uncomfortable.

"Fine. I will." I simply stated.

"You will?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah I will, because I would rather spend my day at school then at home with a bunch of people that treat me like shit." I spat at her.

My mom looked kind of shocked at first but then her face contorted into a look of pure fury. She walked up to me, grabbed my arm, and whispered, "Get out."

I ripped my arm away from her and walked quickly out the door. I didn't know where I was going, my feet were just carrying me somewhere. I walked for hours and never stopped once. Night came and it got dark. I got really tired. Eventually I was walking under a huge bridge. Graffiti covered the pillars that held it up. I was glad that it was the middle of June, because otherwise I would have been freezing.

I went to the pillar closest to me and sat down with my back against it. Every muscle I had was exhausted. I closed my eyes. "I wish I didn't live in the modern world." I mumbled.

A moment later I fell asleep.