For Fair Love

ten

How I am in Harry’s car, I don’t know. But I’m sitting in it with my arms crossed as we are all on our way to Leeds Airport. I steam for the half hour drive. Harry drives, while Karen chats up in the passenger seat.
“Don’t pout, you’ll get early wrinkles,” she says to me. “And if there are cameras when we get there, I beg you smile.”
I simply look out the window. She’s so forceful and bossy. I don’t quite like her tone. I don’t like her at all. I don’t like any of this. I barely had any time to say goodbye to Grans, since Karen was literally dragging me out the door.
“Leave her alone, Karen,” Harry says as his deep voice echoes, “It’s hard enough as it is.”
He didn’t sound any bit happy.
“I fully know how hard this is and will be. I’ve got Will at my throat. So I don’t need you to tell me anything.”
The way she says the person’s name, one would believe he’s a murderer. Karen, who’s bossy and seems fearless, makes it sound scary. Karen pulls the mirror down and tries to cover any lines and blemishes with her powder. She applies red lipstick at least fourteen times. Now, I’m nervous and aware.

The second we reach London, my face is glued to the window. It’s my first time seeing the city up close and in person. It’s nothing like the old streets north of Bradford. It’s more than I imagined. I can’t stop gasping at its immensity. Everyone here looks like Karen, expensive and well dressed. I follow the pair out the plane and into the international airport. It looks like there are more people in this airport than in the whole of Bradford. We are then escorted by a number of bodyguards. We get greetings from multiple people, but I pay more attention to the sights of the port. I start to miss my dreams. I close my eyes for a moment. Karen and another middle aged man exchange words. Everyone’s walking really fast.
“Made sure its clear?”
“Oh, yes.”
“Tweet that the boys are at a lounge or something for good measure.”
“Alright, I’m on it.”
We then abruptly stop by the entrance. I stare at the automatic doors opening and closing as good-looking strangers walk in and out with suitcases and meaning.
“Chas this is Paul,” she says.
“Nice to meet you,” Paul says politely.
Karen goes on, “He’s the bands manager. I’m their supervisor. It’s our job to make sure the boys are doing what they should be doing. Paul is more in charge of music and career related work, while I’m in charge of their daily image. It is currently 2pm. We have a meeting in 15 minutes.”
Karen passes my small luggage off to Paul.
“Your things will be sent to the flat,” Karen sighs. She extends her hand to me, “Give me your phone.”
I do without hesitating. She hands the phone to Paul and hands me a brand new white IPhone. Lily couldn’t even afford one. I gape at it in my hand.
“This is your new phone. You’re only to use it for contacting us. If you want to contact anyone else, you need to ask me first. Come on.”
She walks and everyone else follows. I smooth over the phone in my hands. I look at London like a tourist.