For Fair Love

eighteen

I pull my luggage behind me, following the boys through the airport. I had no say into what went in my suitcase. The commotion by the entrances gets me uneasy on my feet. There are flashing lights at every angle. The boys walk straight and I struggle and tumble around. I feel as though this is going to be one long week. I look above my sunglasses to see the flight chart screen. A few bodyguards strut like statues. Finally we get inside the private plane. I walk up the steps last and uncomfortably sit down by the window. The boys and managers chat, forgetting I exist. As the plane readies itself to take off, Harry sits next to me, while Zayn and Louis sit across.
“Zayn’s been telling me how awesome you are at foot,” Louis chimes.
A little startled, I look up to him, wondering if he’s speaking to me.
“Um, yeah. I’m not awesome, though,” I say, feeling shy.
He then cracks a joke to Zayn. I watch him laugh, loving the way his cheeks fly up on his face.
“America! Here we come!” Louis sings.
I let out a little laugh.
“I’ve never been on a plane before,” I say nervously, rubbing my hands on my shaky knees.
“Never?” Zayn looks at me.
I give him a small smile.
He gives me a wink and says, “Well, now I have to show you the world.”
I feel a blush pinching me, so I look away.

In America, there are taller buildings. There are more people. There’s more sunshine. There are probably even more fans here. The minute we land, I can hear screams. Niall tries to wake up from his long slumber, while the other boys gear up with hats and sunglasses as if they are going to war. I try to mimic and slip my hat over my hat. The bodyguards multiply and head out first. The managers and Karen walk like they do in the military. Everyone keeps asking everyone if everyone’s ready. Then, we rush through the airport, trying to exit safely. The screams get louder as we travel deeper in the airport. I’ve never seen so many people in one place. The stadiums in London wouldn’t be able to fit so many screaming fan girls. All kinds of girls start throwing teddy bears and knickers at the boys. Millions of flashes blind me. I get crushed and pushed left and right. The bodguards struggle to keep a passage for us to go through. I scurry to keep up with the quick pacing into the large black SUV’s. We get inside with all our body parts intact. I catch my breath.
“Is it always this manic?” I pant, clutching my heart.
I hear Karen’s cynical voice in the front of the vehicle.
“This isn’t even the half of it.”
She then goes and directs the driver. I can see girls racing to catch the SUV. My ears still hurt.
“Ha, we should have gotten Chas some ear plugs,” Louis laughs.
I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket. I pull it out to check my notifications. It is written Twitter. I didn’t know I had a Twitter account. This must be another one of Karen’s unwanted surprises. I tap it open and tweets fire up the screen. One big capitalized word stood out… Slut. I shut my phone off and shove it back in my pocket.