For Fair Love

seven

I sneak into the locker rooms of the stadium. I can hear the cheers above. I swiftly change into the new blue uniform and slip on my leg gear. I tightly tie my shoes I polished earlier. Although I’m not supposed to be playing in the finals, I’m going to anyways. There will be national football judges who will select the best players. I want to be on that list. I need this. I dream of wearing the jersey with the three lions on it. I dream of playing for England.

I find my way to the stadium and onto the field. I join my teammates on the side-lines. Immediately, I’m greeted and questioned.
“Are you alright to play?”
“Sure, I am. I was born to play,” I tell them.
“Good,” Lily chimes, “If you’re here, we’ll definitely win.”

The game starts. As midfielder, I get myself in an ideal position. Our opponents, Liverpool, stares us down. I feel excited to be on the field and the giant lights illuminate us. Cheers are on from left to right. I glance over to the judges’ seats. Jack sees me, but he can’t do anything about it. I take all the adrenaline and put it to the test. The first whistle blows.

Back in Manchester, Harry sits around in his hotel room. He hears a loud knock on the door. He hasn’t been in a particularly good mood. But he gets up to answer it. Zayn stands there with a troubling expression.
“Hey,” Harry goes.
“Hey yourself. So were you ever going to tell me?” Zayn crosses his arms over his chest, walking in the room.
“Tell you what?” Harry asks, a tad confused.
“Tell be about you and Chas,” Zayn says.
Harry then sighs, “Mate, it’s not what the tabloid makes it out to be.”
“I know that,” Zayn raises his brows.
“We know Chas isn’t that type of girl.”
Harry walks over into the kitchen to make some tea. Zayn follows him.
“And she’s not your type of girl either.”
Harry eyes him, “What’s that suppose to mean?”
“Means what it means. So, leave her out of this,” Zayn says before turning away.
Harry watches Zayn walk out the room and close the door behind him. He doesn’t know what’s up with him.

The game went better than I imagined. I’ve scored twice which made us win the tournament against Liverpool. The following day, the list of accepted players was posted on the gymnasium wall. If my name is there, then not only do I receive a full scholarship to study in London, I also get to play for England’s national U19 football team! The girls on my team all huddle in front of the sheet of paper hanging on the billboard. To our surprise, there are only three names written. I take a good look.
“Our… our names aren’t on it…” I say to Lily.
“What?” she says and stares at the paper.
After the girls spread away from the billboard, I push myself to the list and rip it off the wall. Then we hear Jack’s voice echo behind us.
“Congrats to those who got through. As for the others, better luck next time,” he says.
I turn and look at him. He wears his Nike pullover. We make eye contact. I’m devastated. There is no next time… anyone with ears can hear it in his voice. He approaches me.
“Why were you playing? You weren’t supposed to be on the team.”
“Why not?” I snap, “I play for this team all the time. It’s my team.”
Jacks sighs.
“Chas, can we have a talk? Outside?”
I’m so cross, I can’t think. But I do as he says, keeping a safe distance.
“I wanted to apologize for the other night. Though I don’t remember much of it… I’m sure I acted in a way I shouldn’t have. Can you forgive me?”
“Why am I not on the list?” I ignore his pleads.
“What?” he questions back.
I repeat, “Why am I not on the list? I played my best. I scored the winning score. I’m fast. You were next to the judges. You didn’t convince them I’m a good footballer? Or did you tell them I’m no good? What is it, some kind of revenge on me for not sleeping with you?”
“The hell are you talking about? Chas, I have nothing to do with the list. What you’re saying’s not true!”
“Are you sure about that?” I ask, repressing my fury.
“I’d never do something like that!” Jack defends himself.
He gives me a stern authoritative look, which makes me regret what I said. I almost forgot who he is—who I’m talking to. I hold my breath, wishing I can take back my words.
“I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it,” I shake my head, “I shouldn’t have accused you. I was just angry… Sorry.”
I drop my eyes and walk off. I can’t think straight. What’s wrong with me? I wobble all the way home, tears escaping my eyelids. It’s all over for me. I was supposed to be a football player playing for England, competing against the best of the best. I was supposed to the winner. I wanted to be the girl they say is a legend. I wanted my name printed on the back of my jersey with a special number that belonged only to me. The sports headlines were supposed to say how Chastity Fair brings England to the world tournament. The girl from humble beginnings makes it big on the football field. That’s what I’ve been dreaming all my life. But none of that can happen now. Now, Grans is going to have to put up a ‘for sale’ sing on the broken porch.