Stay with Me

Merry Christmas

The brunette girl nervously paces back and forth, waiting for that one sound that’ll surely brighten her day. A crack sounds from the hallway, causing her head to turn in an instant. “Harry?” She calls out hopeful, but no one seems to respond. She then tiptoes her way to the door and peaks her head into the hall, only to lock eyes with the neighbour.

“When is he coming home, miss?” The old man asks Elizabeth in a friendly tone of voice. He’s that typical old man that has no family left so decides to move to an apartment building and become a part of everyone’s family there.

Elizabeth just shrugs, giving the man a pouty smile. “Soon-ish.” She then waves quickly as he enters his own apartment, holding back a groan of frustration until his door falls into its lock. “Damn it, Harry…” She sighs, rubbing her fist over the brick wall. Something about the tingling sensation always calmed her down, it’s definitely a bad habit (especially for a girl) and it even caused her fist to be permanently swollen… but it is yet another habit Elizabeth can’t get rid of.

“Hey, stop that you!” A familiar voice calls out; the voice always sends shivers down her spine and a burning feeling in her stomach. Elizabeth still doesn’t understand how someone can make her so nervous yet comfortable at the same time but as of right now sh could care less. He’s back.

“You’re back! Finally!” She yells in excitement, immediately lunging her body into his open arms. Her legs are draped around his middle as she buries her face into his coat, taking in the smell of sweat and deodorant. “I missed you so much that I started liking your sweat.” She mumbles, causing the curly headed man to laugh sending shocks through her body as well.

“Or you could have fallen in love with me all of a sudden… they say that when you’re in love with someone your hormones or brain or whatever trick you into liking that person’s sweat… that’s why you’ll always hate the smell of your parents’ sweat.” Harry states, laughing as he quickly kisses her cheek before planting her feet back on the ground.

“Don’t flatter yourself, H. I don’t do love and you won’t be the exception to that rule.” She winks at Harry, picking up his bag for him. “But I’m so happy you’re back!” She then yells excitedly again, pulling Harry into the apartment by his hand. “What do you think? I took care of this place quite well while you were away… didn’t I?” She proudly states, to which Harry can only nod in response.

“You did a wonderful job. Thank you.” He smiles while throwing his coat on the hanger, he then makes his way over to the couch throwing his body on it with a sigh of relief. “How I missed a large couch…” He sighs happily.

°°°


The two friends sit comfortably together, enjoying their first night back together. Harry’s arm is wrapped around Elly’s shoulder as her head rests on his chest. “If I told you I’m a bird… would you agree? And would you be a bird with me?” Elizabeth mumbles as they watch Noah and Allie on the screen.

“Of course… if you’re a bird, I’m a bird.” He then answers her, simultaneously with the movie, causing a quick giggle to escape from Elly’s lips.


A bright and honest smile plays on Harry’s lips as his family gathers around the tree. He’s always loved Christmas time, ever since he was a kid and this year, even with the circumstances, was no different. “I think Harry should start handing out gifts… since he got the most!” Gemma calls as she reaches out to grab one of the gifts Harry wrapped the day before.

“That ones for mum anyway.” He laughs as his sister puts the package back in its place with a disappointed smile. No one knew what is was but whenever Harry and Gemma got to unwrap presents, they always turned into a six-year-old version of themselves again. “Here you go, mum.” Harry smiles, handing a large tacky bag with Christmas print over it to his mum.

She then pulls out another bag, one that has ‘Burberry’ printed on it in large letters. “No…” She mumbles in shock as she pulls out a nicely wrapped coat. “Harry! You shouldn’t have!” She tells her son as tears come into her eyes.

“You’ve wanted it for years… of course I had to. It’s from both me and Gem though.” He smiles proudly as his mum wraps her arms around both of her children.

°°°


And as tradition has it, the family always watched A Christmas Carol together on Christmas eve. This time they went for the animated version with Jim Carrey in it, the one that seemed a tad crueller than the other. “I can’t believe this is a kid story…” Gemma mumbles, carefully opening her fingers so she can peek through them at the screen.

“You should never read the original princess stories then…” Harry chuckles as he grabs a chocolate chip cookie from the table. “Great cookies mum.”

Harry pulls the blanket up to his chin, trying hard to hold back a yawn. “Even when that old man is smiling he’s scary as fuck... I’d be like the cleaning lady, run for my life!” Gemma calls out before taking a quick sip from her hot coco.

“People can change you know…” Harry points out and before he knows it, his mind has wandered back to the person he helped change. Elly is always occupying his mind, even when he’s desperate to keep her out of it.

“I know, but look at him… he’s a scary man. If you ever look like that, Harry, in like forty years… I’d run away from you.” Gemma says as she looks at the screen with pure disgust.

“Well, I’m beat…” Harry eventually says, getting up quickly and heading for his room. Although the movie only had a couple of minutes left, he felt the desperate need to spend some time alone.

Harry quickly strips himself from his clothes, leaving him in only his boxers as he crawls under his sheets. A yawn escapes his lips as he reaches out for his iPhone, the one thing that usually spends most of the day in his pocket has now been laying on his bed for a whole day. And much to his surprise in the long list of ‘Merry Christmas’-wishes is a name he didn’t expect to see at all.

“Elizabeth Stone…” He mumbles in pure shock as goose bumps appear all over his body. A burning feeling wells up in the pit of his stomach as he reads the three words over and over again. “What the fuck, Elly…” He groans before biting the inside of his cheek.

To: Elizabeth Stone

Would’ve been merrier with you here, then I wouldn’t have wasted so much money on fucking presents that I’d never be able to hand to anyone. Why wish me a merry Christmas when you couldn’t even tell me goodbye? That’s a rhetorical question, in case you were wondering. Merry Christmas to you too.


All the hurt he’d been feeling had suddenly changed into anger. And as anger overtook both his body and brain, he quickly deleted the young girl’s number… but deep down he knew he’s always remember those digits by heart.

020 4652 9872
♠ ♠ ♠
There you go... three chapters in three days.
This should make up for the lack of updates for a month, right?

How about all of you return the favor by leaving your thoughts in a comment for me? I'd greatly appreciate it... I'm curious to see which direction you'd like this story to take. Don't be quiet, have a voice... speak to me!