Choosing Names

Choosing Names

Billie Joe was sat in the van moping. They were in Minnesota once again but it was not the same. Adrienne was not here. He was sick of playing 2000 Light Years Away anyway. It was a stupid song. All it ever did was bring up the memory of the beautiful girl and how they'd kissed. There was no point, Billie decided, in singing happy songs about a girl you hadn't heard from in months and who doesn’t show up to see you play, even when you're in her hometown.

The last time Billie Joe had spoken to Adrienne was six months, two weeks and four days ago. He cursed himself for not being able to get over it - did he honestly believe that a long-distance relationship was going to work? No, but he still thought she would come to the show.

"Billie, you in here, man?" There was the clattering of his band mates outside and he shivered when the door was flung and the cold night air blew in.

"C'mon, we're going to the guy who booked the show's house. He's gonna give us a meal and we can sleep there too." Mike and Tre pulled Billie to his feet and lead him to where they were to be guests.

When they reached the address they’d been given the trio stood uncomfortably on the door step waiting for someone to answer the door. It was flung open and a scruffy man with a huge smile welcomed them in.

“Hello, I’m Billy Bisson, that’s Billy spelt with a y not an ie like you,”

The man laughed heartily as if the spelling of Billie Joe’s name was amusing then continued as Billie gave him an unfriendly glare. He didn’t like this man already. “You must excuse the fact I didn’t meet you at the show but my fiancée felt a little ill so we came home. Come in.”

He headed inside and exchanged a few words with a female that Billie Joe couldn’t see. He still wasn’t feeling too enthralled with the idea of spending his evening with some loved up couple when all he wanted to do was find Adrienne and tell her how much he missed her. He followed Mike in to a small dining room then crashed into him when he stopped abruptly.

He looked up as the Billy guy said “This is my fiancée…”

“Adie” Billie Joe let out in a strangled cry and scrunched his eyes up tight in an attempt to keep from totally breaking down.

Had she forgotten about him? She was going to marry Billy-spelt-the-proper-normal-stupid-way. She had been to the show but had ‘felt ill’. Could that be guilt?

He heard Adrienne say his name but wasn’t sure if she meant him or him. Billie Joe decided to open his eyes, even if it was just to give the couple a look of hatred and found himself gazing into the deep pair of brown eyes that always brought an instant smile to his face.

Thank goodness – it was just a dream. That experience was traumatic enough the first time, wouldn’t want to live it again.

"I don't know what you're smiling about. You fell asleep Billie Joe, and we were having a very interesting conversation." She grinned and sloppily kissed his forehead. Billie Joe wrapped his arms around her, loving how the swell of her pregnant belly felt against him, and placed a gentle kiss on her nose.

What had they been talking about? Oh yes, that was right, names for their baby.

The couple had already decided on the middle name 'Marciano' as homage to Billie Joe's father but a first name was providing more of a debate.

"I think we should just call him Billie Junior." he said, half-joking.

"No" snapped Adrienne, with a look in her eye that said 'That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard - how dare you suggest it'.

Billie laughed it off, "Adie, baby, you make it sound as if you hate the name, which you really shouldn't considering you married one."

He felt her tense up in his arms and press herself against him possessively with his final sentence but rather than saying anything he kept quiet, wrapping her dreadlocks around his fingers. Mood swings weren't something Adrienne was particularly prone to but they generally ended in Billie going to 'sleep' on the couch - and returning once Adrienne had fallen asleep.

"Billie Joe." She mumbled from his chest.

"Mmm?" He kept his response short and vague, not wanting to aggravate her.

"No, it's not a question." Adrienne sounded slightly perplexed and pulled away from him a little so she could look into his eyes. "I married you, Billie Joe, not Billy. I love you." She cupped his face in her small hands and kissed him fiercely.

Billie Joe's mind flickered back to the dream he had just had and it all fell into place.

“Is that why you never call me Billie, always Billie Joe?” he asked her gently.

“Yeah,” she replied pulling him closer once more “Like a different name. It shouldn’t be a problem but it is. When I think Billie, no matter the spelling, I think of him and the look on your face when he introduced me as his fiancée. It was horrible Billie Joe. I don’t ever want to see you like that ever again.” Adrienne’s voice wavered and she stopped, lost in thoughts she couldn’t put into words.

“Y’know, Tre’s gonna call his kid Ramonus if it’s a boy or Ramona if it’s a girl” Billie said as if the names were completely normal and serious. His wife laughed but he continued “We should do it. Not as stupid but name the baby after the Ramones. I mean Dee Dee would be an awesome name!”

Adrienne laughed again, Billie Joe’s random comment having lifted the mood. “You’re not taking this seriously. The poor child will be made a laughing stock but maybe you’re onto something. Tommy?” she suggested.

“Nah,” he shook his head “I didn’t like him much. Joey’s my favourite but I guess that’s a bit close to Billie Joe isn’t it?”

As he said it the baby kicked and he jumped as he felt Adrienne’s belly move against his own. Billie moved his hands and placed them on her stomach but the baby didn’t kick anymore.

“Joseph,” kick “wouldn’t be too alike.” Adrienne said. The baby kicked again and Billie laughed.

“I think he likes it!”
♠ ♠ ♠
This partially came from this story and I noticed that Adrienne alwys refers to her husband by his full name.

Comment please