Little Teeth

One.

He heard something in the shadows, something dark and sinister moving about in the blackness. He shrank back against his pillows, pulling his cowboy blanket up to his chin. There was a faint scratching noise, followed by an eerie chuckle that made him scream.

“Mom!”

The quiet laughing continued until he was trembling, little whimpers coming from his mouth.

“Mom! Dad!”

The creaked door open, and a beam of light sliced across the floor.

“Brody, what’s wrong?” His mom was standing by the doorway, the faint light illuminating her tired features.

“There’s something over there,” Brody squeaked, finger pointing accusingly at the dark corner of his room.

“Honey, what’s going on?” His dad came in the room, scrubbing a head down his features. After a glance at his scared son, he looked to his wife.

“Nothing. Brody was just having a nightmare,” she said. She flicked on the light and went into the room. She sat down on the bed and Brody climbed onto her lap.

“It wasn’t a nightmare,” the little boy said, chewing on his bottom lip.

“What’s with all the noise?” a tired, annoyed voice said. They all looked up to see the teenage boy in rumpled pajamas in the hallway.

“Callum!” Brody jumped off the bed and ran to his older brother. “It’s the Tooth Fairy, I know it is. Just like you said. She’s come to hurt me.”

“Cal, what is he talking about?” their father said coldly.

“Um,” he sputtered. “I may have told Brody that the Tooth Fairy isn’t a fairy but actually an evil
witch that likes to hurt little children and steal their souls.”

“And why would you say that?” their mom ground out.

“I don’t know. He kept bugging me about his stupid loose tooth and then it came out and he wouldn’t leave me alone about that either and I just snapped.”

“Cal!” she exclaimed, stomping over to him. Her hand came up and smacked him in the back of his head.

“Sorry, Ma,” he grumbled, and then glanced down to his younger brother. “Sorry buddy.”

“So it’s not true?” the little boy asked.

“No, sweetie. It’s not true,” his mother said, ruffling the chestnut curls on his head. “Let’s go back to bed, yeah?”

“She’s not gonna take my soul?”

“Of course not,” she said, shooting her older son a dirty look. “Only one thing is going to happen. When you wake up in the morning, the little tooth under your pillow will be gone, and there’ll be some money there.”

“Money? I don’t want money. I’d rather have candy.”

She laughed and ushered him back into bed. Brody climbed in and pulled the blanket back up to his chin, feeling much better.

“Think you can sleep now, buddy?” his dad asked, wrapping an arm around his wife.

“Mhm!”

“Okay. Good night.”

They all left the room, Callum flicking the light off as he did.

“Sorry again, little bro,” he muttered, and then shut the door.

The light went with him, and the room was once again encased in darkness. Brody relaxed, no longer scared and just tired.

Then the scratching started again. There was a small laugh and the pattering of feet. He gathered his blanket up, drew his knees against his chest and whimpered. Moonlight filtered in through the curtains in just a way that he saw the dark form of someone standing by the closet, slightly hunched over, hair frizzed out.

Brody tried to call out Mom! again, but it stuck in his throat and came out like a breathless cry. Fear stuck in his throat and tears welled up in his eyes. She stepped forward, silver light making the ragged, black dress hanging from her skeletal frame visible.

“Please,” he whispered.

The last thing Brody remembered ever seeing was a flash of sharp, little teeth and blood-stained lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
Undecided about this. Like I am about everything I post these days.
Comments?
-Beki