Between the Raindrops

Lies

Abigail’s POV:
“Cali, Claire, please just let it go.” I beg them. October 15th and I’m getting my heart broken again.
“But he lied to you. Does it look like he has a girlfriend?” My best friend, Cali Jennings, asks me.
“Yeah, Eric lied through his ugly, yet really perfect, teeth.” My other friend, Claire Baldwin, adds. I look at the homecoming poster. Eric Richards, my latest crush, is running for king without a queen.
“I don’t even care.” I say, tears threatening to fall.
“But you do, Abby, and don’t let him hurt you.” Cali tells me.
“Yeah, let’s go find Zach.” Cali’s face brightens when I say that.
“Good idea.” Cali is dating Zach Porter. He attends Poway High with me, Cali, and Claire. I’m Abigail Pierce and we’re all seniors. Claire is dating one of Zach’s friends, Michael Martinez. They’re in a band together with their other friend, Cameron Quiseng. I’ve talked to him a couple times because of Zach, but not often. I doubt he even knows who I am. He is the sweetest guy in the world, but now he’s at Rancho Bernardo High; Michael’s at Mt. Carmel High.
“Hey, what’s up you three?” Zach asks, giving Cali a kiss.
“Gross.” I say, smiling. Zach sticks his tongue out at me so I do the same.
“You two are children.” Cali says, laughing.
“But you’re friends with one and dating the other.” Claire tells her.
“Hey, we’re still here.” I tell them. Eric walks by and my heart drops.
“Abby, my girlfriend and I broke up. We could go to homecoming together if you want.” His brown eyes and blonde hair make me melt. Then he smiles and I’m so close to saying yes.
“Answer the boy.” Zach whispers and then I see another poster. He lied to me.
“No, Eric, I’m sorry your invisible girlfriend left and now you’re guilty about lying, but no, I won’t go with you. Some girls care about themselves.” I flip my hair and walk off. Zach, Cali, and Claire run after me.
“That was awesome!” Cali is beaming.
“You should have seen his face when you left. Oh, wait, I got a picture.” Claire shows me her phone and we crack up.
“Fill me in?” Zach asks.
“Eric never had a girlfriend; he lied to me and that’s not okay.” I tell Zach and he hugs me.
“I’m really sorry.” Zach is such a great friend; and he’s adorable with Cali. They just started dating this year, but it’s nice to see them together and not as friends.
“Hey, when are you having practice again? I want to see my boyfriend.” Claire says randomly and Zach laughs. Claire and Mikey got together right before school started.
“You three can come over tomorrow after school.” Zach tells us. Tomorrow night, homecoming night.
“I think I’ll stay home.”
“And eat ice cream while watching The Notebook? No, you’re coming with us even if we have to drag you.” Cali tells me.
“Yeah, come on, Cameron doesn’t have anyone to hang with.” Zach adds.
“I don’t know, my plans sound really good.” I want to see Cameron so badly; I could use a hug. I’ve gotten one from him.
“Nope, not an answer. We’ll see you at 6.” Cali says and the bell rings.