Between the Raindrops

Saying Too Much

Cameron’s POV:
“I cannot believe we almost got caught!” Abby busts out laughing as soon as I leave my driveway. I have to laugh, too.
“Maybe this means something.” I tell her.
“Like, that we should wait until you have a ring on my finger?” She asks and I look at her.
“Do you want me to have a ring on your finger?” I ask her and she looks out the window.
“Maybe one day. I was just saying, if you did have a ring on my finger, then we could, never mind.” She’s getting embarrassed and it’s kind of cute.
“Maybe one day.” I tell her and she looks at me.
“We just got through a month, let’s not go crazy.”
“Taking it slow.” I remind her and she laughs.
“There was nothing slow about what almost happened.” She’s laughing again. I drive her home and walk her up to the door. Her dad opens the door.
“Right on time, just like always.” He smiles and she kisses me on the cheek.
“I’ll see you later, Cam.” She walks inside and her dad shuts the door. I’m glad it’s dark so my face doesn’t show right now. I drive back home and grandma is waiting.
“Oh, thought you’d be asleep. Where were you?” I ask her and she’s smiling.
“Talking with an old friend.” She tells me.
“Uhm, why are you smiling like that?” I ask her. There’s no way she can know what was going on.
“Care to tell me what was happening while you and Abigail were alone?” Dang.
“We were just listening to music. A little Jason Mraz.” I tell her and start to go upstairs.
“I know, Cameron.” She tells me and I stop.
“How?” I ask her. This is not the conversation I want to be having.
“Her face said it all. No girl usually gets that red and runs out like that, but your shirt being backwards and inside out was a pretty big give away.” I look down. I am such an idiot.
“Well you got home before anything happened. I’m going to bed.” I run upstairs before she can say another word. Worst way to end a night ever. I call Abby and she’s laughing when she answers.
“Cameron, I can’t believe that happened.”
“My grandma knows.” She stops laughing.
“What? How?”
“She told me it was your face and, uh, my shirt being backwards and inside out.” She laughs again.
“Good job, silly.”
“Abigail, get off your phone. It’s late.” Her mom yells.
“We’ll be done soon!” She yells back.
“Maybe we should talk later.” I tell her.
“No, Cam, I like talking to you. My mom can deal.”
“Don’t go defying your parents.” I tell her.
“Cameron, come over.” I wait until she calls to say her parents are asleep and drive over there. I sit on the porch with her, right under the light.
“How are you?” I ask her.
“This past month has been amazing, Cameron, it really has. I really hope we get more of this and I do want to get married one day.” I kiss her and hold her close to me. “I love you.” She says.
“Abby.” I start to say.
“I’m sorry.” She says and runs inside.