Between the Raindrops

Overthinking

Abigail’s POV:
“He didn’t even call me all week.” I finish my story. Claire and Cali stare at me.
“You shouldn’t have apologized.” Cali tells me.
“I know and I wish I could take it back. The apology, not the I love you.” I slide against the wall and Zach walks up.
“Hang on, what happened? I heard the words that Cali and I say.”
“Shut up, Zach, I’m in a mood.” I start to walk off and he grabs my shoulder.
“Did Cameron do something? I’m sorry, but I’m on his side. I think. Don’t kill my friend.” He begs me but I can’t even laugh.
“Last Saturday night I said I loved him then apologized and ran inside. I never should have said anything. Oh, and we kind of, almost-”
“Please stop there, Abby. So what’s wrong?”
“I was stupid and Cam hasn’t called since I shut the door. He could have at least called my house all week or something.” He probably hates me and never really wanted me. He’s just like every other guy in the world.
“Abby, breathe.” Claire tells me and I look at her, tears filling my eyes.
“He hates me.” I say and the tears fall.
“No, that’s not true.” Cali tells me. “Zach, say something.”
“I’m sure he doesn’t hate you. He’s probably just thinking. If it helps, he didn’t talk to me either.” That doesn’t help at all.
“He’s planning the breakup!” I yell. Okay, maybe I’m a little crazy right now, but I have every reason to be.
“Girl, hang in there. He wouldn’t break up with you this easy. You haven’t scared him off yet.” Cali tells me.
“Until I said those three stupid words. I couldn’t stop them from coming out, either. He kissed me and it just spilled out.”
“You need to talk to him.” Zach tells me.
“I don’t want to. I can’t hear him say he doesn’t want to date me anymore. God, we even talked about getting married one day. Sure we agreed many years from now, but I was so stupid.”
“Maybe I should go now.” Zach says and I reach for him.
“Please don’t leave me.” I beg him. He takes one look and sits next to me.
“Hey, Abby, Cam’s not your typical guy. You’re getting used to having a boyfriend and he’s getting used to being a boyfriend. You probably just shocked him, but I really don’t think he’s going anywhere.” The bells rings and he stands up to walk with Cali.
“Thank you for helping her.” I hear Cali say then there’s silence; he probably kissed her. Claire turns the corner and I’m alone again. Zach walks back and holds his hand down to me.
“Come on, good girl. We have class now and you’re not ditching.”
“I look like crap.” I say.
“You’re fine. This is school, nothing too important.” I laugh and take his hand. He helps me up and we walk to class.
“Thank you, Zach, really. You’re a good friend.” He holds the classroom door open.
“After you.” He actually bows. Cali is really lucky to have him.
“Save it for your girlfriend.” I say.
“Believe me, I will.” I pretend to puke as we take our seats. I’ll be okay no matter what happens.