Between the Raindrops

Falling

Cameron’s POV:
“Hey, Cameron, how was your day?” Grandma ask when I walk into the house.
“Fine, I guess. Not much else happened, ya know. Why is the cereal in the fridge?” I ask her and she laughs.
“I was looking for that. You’ll get old one day, Cam.” She tells me.
“Well, I have band practice tonight, so I should head over to Zach’s.” I say and she looks at me.
“I may be old, but I know you have a paper due Tuesday, and look at that, you have two hours before you have to go.”
“Do I have to? I’ve got all weekend.”
“And what if something happens? Anna or Bridget gets hurt and you’re in the hospital all weekend with them?”
“They’ll be fine. And it’s not like I’m going to magically get a date.” Girls don’t really like me and I’m too shy with them, so no girlfriend for me.
“You’re a very handsome young man and a girl will see that one day. Just let it go, Cameron, and be happy with what you have.”
“Do I really have to work on it?” I ask her again.
“It’s your mom’s rules and mine. Your parents are making you go to college before you do anything with the band, so you have time to practice.”
“Alright, fine, I’ll be upstairs trying to analyze this stupid book.” I throw my bag down and head to my room. I wonder how Cali, Claire, and Abby are. I haven’t talked to them in a while, not that I was too close with Abby.
“Cameron, you aren’t writing.” Grandma is standing behind me.
“I don’t know what to write. I hate this book and my paper sucks.” She reads over it, makes a few changes, and then looks at me.
“Now it’s better. It’s not that bad. Work on it for an hour and I’ll let you go to Zach’s early.” She tells me and I might as well go with it. I log on Myspace and try to force myself off. Half an hour later I work on the paper.
“Okay, I’m done for now.” I yell and she slowly makes her way up. She reads over it and smiles.
“You’re smarter than you want to admit. Go to Zach’s and I’ll see you tonight.” Finally, I get to leave. This is not how I wanted to spend my Friday evening. I run into Zach’s and down to the basement.
“I’m here!” I yell and see Cali, Claire, and Abby on the couch.
“Zach’s getting snacks.” Cali tells me. I sit between her and Claire.
“How are my wonderful friends?” I ask and they laugh.
“Get off of us.” These are probably the only two girls I can handle because they’re dating my friends.
“I hate this. Can I go home?” Abby asks.
“You don’t wanna leave yet.” I say and she looks at me, then looks down.
“She’s having issues.” Cali tells me.
“Cameron, hey!” Zach runs down with pretzels.
“Abby wants to leave.” I say and look at her. She’s really pretty.
“A guy lied to her then asked her to our homecoming. Which is tonight.”
“Thanks for telling him everything when I barely even know him.” Abby runs off and the girls run after her.
“I wouldn’t do that to her.” I stare at the stairs.
“Do you like her?” Zach asks me.
“Actually, I think I do like her.” I tell him.